Ice Fishing Boots and Socks

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's everyone wearing to keep their feet warm while on the ice? Looking for boot and sock suggestions.

I'm tired of my feet being cold. I currently own some Columbia Bugaboots that are light weight but aren't very warm.

I'm looking at these: https://www.scheels.com/p/korkers-polar-vortex-1200-boot/96351-0B9920BK.html

1200 gram, good reviews, interchangeable soles for cleats, BOA lacing system.

I hear Merino wool is the way to go for socks. Recommendations on brand and model?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you’re feet sweat, it doesn’t matter what kind of boot you have IMO. For wool socks, get at least 70% wool. You need some elastic woven in to keep them tight. Don’t be played by the “wool” socks with less than 10% wool.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found that if i wear a different pair of shoes driving to go ice fishing my feet don't get cold as fast as if I wore just them, I have also found that wearing a pair of granny socks ( polyester) help keep my feet dry. I have also invested in electric powered socks that have saved me from running back to the pickup the last few years of the DLVFD. Yeah once my feet sweat from dragging my voyager,full of gear, out to the fishing spot my feet are wet and the electric socks have been a miracle for me.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting? Or do you plan to walk a lot in them?

- - - Updated - - -

Those korkers are nice if you are worried about weight and putting on distance. Their tightening mechanism is cool too. But, if warmth is your only worry with no care about bulk, then there are many great options. I like my baffins and bunny's. But, i don't have many more to compare too. I do know the choices appear to be a lot though.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting? Or do you plan to walk a lot in them?

- - - Updated - - -

Those korkers are nice if you are worried about weight and putting on distance. Their tightening mechanism is cool too. But, if warmth is your only worry with no care about bulk, then there are many great options. I like my baffins and bunny's. But, i don't have many more to compare too. I do know the choices appear to be a lot though.

I want both haha. Sometimes I sit and fish, other times I'm on the move. Light weight is key for me as I'm usually hiking out to my spot on foot. But once I'm there I tend to sit for awhile.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those korkers with heated insoles or toe warmers then? I wouldn't want to hike real far in my baffins especially in snow. But, with good socks and my heated insoles, there is zero chance I get cold toes. But, I am 46 with horseshit circulation in my fingers and toes. Product of low BP maybe? Never figured it out.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have these:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...fb-pITNTcXVFZL998E2Nae1r7dKr2T3RoCISMQAvD_BwE

You don't have to worry about socks. Wear them or don't. Won't matter; wool or poly or cotton. Won't matter. As long as you don't rip a hole in the boot. You are good to go.

Sure they are 50 some ounces apiece. Who gives a shit as long as your feet are warm. I've worn these ever since I've served my country when I was 17 years old to keep my feet warm in the winter. They have NEVER failed me. I can't believe I see this complaint every year here and this is the only solution.

From the manufacturer: Adhere to temperate ratings and limitations - Lastly, it is imperative that the temperature rating is adhered to. Typically, these boots are ideal when the average temperature ranges from 14 degrees to 68 degrees and can effectively keep feet warm in temperatures down to -20 degrees. However, in extreme sub-zero temperatures, it is recommended that the body is kept exercised and moving. In temperatures below -20, white Bunny Boots are recommended as they can be rated for temperatures down to -60 degrees.

GET the WHITE ones. Good for down to -60!!!!!!!! If you watch any Alaska TV show on discovery channel, most people up there wear these; the white ones!!

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only boots that work for me are "Bunny boots" . I have an old school pair that are still warm but high miles and slippery so I don't use them because they are an accident waiting to happen. This topic makes me want to re-cap them.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
If your feet are directly on the ice, get a small piece of plywood or carpet so there is a layer of something between ice and bottom of your boot.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m on my second year with the Korkers and love them so far. Super comfortable and very warm. I wear one of several different pair of socks Ive picked up over the years none of which are wool.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's everyone wearing to keep their feet warm while on the ice? Looking for boot and sock suggestions.

I'm tired of my feet being cold. I currently own some Columbia Bugaboots that are light weight but aren't very warm.

I'm looking at these: https://www.scheels.com/p/korkers-polar-vortex-1200-boot/96351-0B9920BK.html

1200 gram, good reviews, interchangeable soles for cleats, BOA lacing system.

I hear Merino wool is the way to go for socks. Recommendations on brand and model?

They make these korkers for wading in stocking-foot waders, and I've thought about them - before I bought breathable bootfoot waders, by Simms. They are the bomb. I was wading in the Missouri River last saturday night, for three hours, and my feet never got cold. My hands did, but not my feet.

I wonder about the removable outsole thing. If that came off, in the mud in 3 ft of water they'd be gone.

Couple of years ago at DLVFD fishing tournament, on a very warm day, there was 10" of water on top of the ice. My 1200 gram Danner Pronghorns kept me warm and dry. I was sure they'd leak, but they didn't. I was more than happy. Another couple inches of water though, and it would have been too deep.

I wear a thin pair of polypro liners, along with a thick 70% wool sock, and cold feet are a thing of the past for me (thankfully).

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
These have been a game changer for galwhosfeetstaywarm and myself

https://www.overshoesneos.com/

- - - Updated - - -

so nice to be able to adjust to conditions - never having to transition to socks only at any point

throw a heat pack in the toe area for added insurance

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

so nice to be able to adjust to conditions - never having to transition to socks only at any point

I have a friend who worked on the north slope in AK and this is what he used. I'm looking at getting some soon.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps your feet are helping you find fish?? Feet cold? Time to move to another spot? ;:;bowdown

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been running the Korkers for a couple years and like them for the most part. I do need to throw some waterproofing at them this year to help seal the stitching up better. The spike soles that come with them are really nice on bare ice, they don't look like much but they bite right into the ice. As for warmth they have been good with just a few times my feet felt cold, but I tend to get that way when not moving much on the ice. As for socks I cant remember the brands I have anymore and sometimes I also add in a pair of the supper thin liner socks.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drive to the lake in regular footwear. Once there, put on plain old sorels, but bring an extra pair of liners. Work, sweat, and set up in the original sorels, but once done, change the liners out to the dry ones. If I'm really worried about cold, I'll change socks as well. Wet = Frozen for this guy. It's only worked for 30 years, but I don't run and gun like some of you guys, so take it for what it's worth. Good Luck!!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Yep these are awesome. Wear regular shoes to the lake and put these on right over them plus they have studs for grip on ice. Love them!

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of Baffin Impacts that I wear late season archery. They are amazing. I only put them on when I get to the field as they are too big to drive with and so warm you will sweat them up in the truck. Rated to some crazy number...something like -130F. I hate having cold feet and these are amazing!!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure the best/warmest boot with out a doubt is the airforce "flight boot" but not pretty,not to be confused with the the Army bunny boot(leather soles).flight boots are all heavy duty rubber,a bit bulky with a felt foot bed keeps your feet toasty.

THAT OR
A pair of battery operated thermo cell socks,couple buds have these for skiing and late season deer hunting,claim they work great,last all day on a charge.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93