Muck Boot Alternative

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the market for a pair of warm boots for ice fishing. I must have poor circulation in my feet, because I have a hard time keeping them warm in cold weather. I have a pair of 1000 gram Danner Pronghorns that I wear that I get cold feet in.

I was looking at the Muck Arctic Pro, because of the good reviews and opinions of the guys I know that use them. Problem is, for some reason everyone is out of them right now. I found some Arctic Sports at Dick's but they didn't have half sizes. The 11 was a tish small, and the 12 felt sloppy. Not sure if the Arctic Pros fit the same, but I'm not a fan of ordering footwear only to find out that they don't fit.

Dick's had some 1000 gram Field and Stream knockoffs that fit good and felt more comfortable than the Muck's. Curious if anyone has an experience with these or any other 'Muck' like boot that you would recommend?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...utdoor&cp=4413987.4417989&categoryId=52416826

Thanks guys.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want a warm boot, get yourself some Baffins. Bring a pair of slip on shoes to drive with, though. They are big.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Williston home of economy has them in stock. There is many options of Baffin boots check out there website. If you ever get up to williston they have a lot in stock.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if you are only set on slip on style boots but if you are OK with laces check out Cabela's Predator Extreme series: http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot.../Ne-1000002949?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

Like Ahab noted about Baffin's, they are quite large and can be difficult to operate a vehicle but they are very warm. I have had them for about 5 seasons and have never had cold feet when wearing them. Even with my feet right on the ice fishing all day out in my portable I have stayed warm.

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the arctic pros and love them. Also get cold feet very easy and haven't got cold yet in them

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
get a size bigger and wear thicker socks for more insulation

I bought a pair of lacrosse alpha burly pros and love them. liked them more than mucks

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did wear thick socks the day I went to try on Muck's.

The old man has a pair of Baffins. Although I am quite sure they keep your feet warm, a little too bulky for my taste.

And yes, I am really leaning towards a slip on/rubber type boot. The other use these would get besides ice fishing is early season open water, especially when the docks are not in yet and a guy has to get your feet wet getting in and out of the boat. IMO, a one piece rubber boot is superior in keeping water out, vs a lace up boot.

As always, I'm open to suggestions from guys with experience. Feel free to try and convince me otherwise...

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm in the market for a pair of warm boots for ice fishing. I must have poor circulation in my feet, because I have a hard time keeping them warm in cold weather. I have a pair of 1000 gram Danner Pronghorns that I wear that I get cold feet in.

I was looking at the Muck Arctic Pro, because of the good reviews and opinions of the guys I know that use them. Problem is, for some reason everyone is out of them right now. I found some Arctic Sports at Dick's but they didn't have half sizes. The 11 was a tish small, and the 12 felt sloppy. Not sure if the Arctic Pros fit the same, but I'm not a fan of ordering footwear only to find out that they don't fit.

Dick's had some 1000 gram Field and Stream knockoffs that fit good and felt more comfortable than the Muck's. Curious if anyone has an experience with these or any other 'Muck' like boot that you would recommend?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...utdoor&cp=4413987.4417989&categoryId=52416826

Thanks guys.

Don't have experience with Muck Boots but do question if your feet get cold in 1000 gram Danners, why would you consider 1000 gram Field and Streams. I understand why you want them soon but my advice is find the pair that fit well, are warm, and then make your purchase instead of settling for a boot you're not sure of. Be happy in the long run.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a buddy who is cold when it is50 he got Baffin's for ice fishing and is never cold

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have experience with Muck Boots but do question if your feet get cold in 1000 gram Danners, why would you consider 1000 gram Field and Streams. I understand why you want them soon but my advice is find the pair that fit well, are warm, and then make your purchase instead of settling for a boot you're not sure of. Be happy in the long run.

Because every boot is different. The main reason for considering the Field and Streams was because of the way they fit and comfort level over the Mucks. No where in my post did I say that I wanted them soon. I'm going on an ice fishing trip in march, that is the only target date, and I sure as heck wouldn't call that "soon". I am asking for recommendations because I'm looking for a pair that "fit well, are warm".

Not sure I would consider any of this "settling". Thanks for your help though....

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been wearing Muck Arctic Pros for 5 or 6 years. They are nice, but I wouldn't say they are the warmest boot I've ever worn. I wear them throughout the winter and in the spring while calving. For me, once my feet start sweating in them my feet can start getting cold. They don't breath and they are tall, so there's nowhere for the moisture to go. When I wear them all day my socks are guaranteed to be wet when I take them off. I think it sounds like they would be a good fit for what you want to do, but if you plan to wear them every day all day I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same issues I do. I also recommend buying a boot dryer.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found some new bunny's online. Seem warm and waterproof. But bulky. Plus I think they run like 2 sizes 2 big.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-mickey-cold-weather-boots-new?a=591923

Heavy, WARM, best cold weather boot i've worn since I put them on my feet in '73. Still own three pair, one for each vehicle. Used to wear them early and late in the boat just to make sure never to get cold feet. Wore them on severely cold days when carrying the mail. Did I mention they are heavy and WARM. Have put them on when they are cold(stored in trunk/pickup box) and my feet are cold. In ten minutes you'd never know your feet were cold.

I have them same size as the shoe i wear but there are plenty of room in them. If you get the wide size i'd order a size smaller if you want a close fit. With the ones that have valves in the side, I blow up the bladder first before i put them on, lace them up and let a little air out of the bladder if need be for a comfortable fit.

NO boot dryer needed. Nothing to get wet inside other than your socks if your feet sweat in them, which mine do. Simply wipe them out, change socks and off ya go again.

They are heavy therefore I'd recommend them for mostly stationary activities or if you want to exercise your leg muscles and keep your feet TOASTY, these are the bomb. USED many times ice fishing, standing directly on the ice is not a problem. May have to pick and choose the ice cleats to fit over them as all won't work.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fyi..
White ones are rated colder. I have high hopes. For $100 I figured it's worth the gamble.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
As others have mentioned the downside to all rubber boots is the lack of breathability.

If you want to maximize the performance of the mucks or any rubber boot for that matter buy some Bama Sokkets and then buy the boot size that allows you to wear your favorite sock and the Bama Sokkets without any tightness in the fit.

The sokkets are very simple but they will transfer the moisture to the far outside layers and leave your next to skin sock dry.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Fyi..
White ones are rated colder. I have high hopes. For $100 I figured it's worth the gamble.

White ones are a lot warmer. Had black ones, threw them away. Been using the white bunnys for over 25 years. You will be happy with them.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Valley City Cenex downtown used to sell Muck boots. Don't know if they still do but would think so.
That is where we always bought them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93