Ice jam

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody check out the ice jam in town? Went by there this morning and for ice onl a few inches thick it sure stacked up fairly impressively with some chunks several feet out of the water. A few homes north of pioneer park looked to be surrounded but with plenty of free board. No ice in front of misty but the water is to the top so hopefully this will help bust it up so the ramp can be used. IMG_20160216_105412228.jpg

Last edited:

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I for one am glad I no longer live by the river. 2009 and 2011 were enough for me even though the prior 14 years were incident free.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
with 40 degree temps the river is going to open up quick. its going to happen like someone flushed.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy it sure didn't wast much time to breakup. Went by at five and the water was down another foot and the whole works was starting to breakup from both the south and the north. There a blockage down by fox but with in never dropping below freezing last night the whole thing is giving way and hopefully will clear out soon.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm, I was down at L&C around 5 this evening and didn't see anything to the south moving. Are you sure it's busting up down by Memorial Bridge? Lots of open water north of the interstate at 5. Let's get the ramp cleared!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's cleared out most of the stuff on the west bank from just south of the train tracks down to about the entrance to southport. As I watched it big chunks were breaking off and heading down stream. The east pilling of the train bridge with the higher flows as its splits the water had also started to carve out a decent size hole as well. I see there is also a large open streach down by the mouth of the hart river....not sure how long that's been there but at least it gives us a little bit more free play as the ice makes its way south.

Is there any reason why this ice jammed up so hard compared to how it normally forms in the fall? This stuff was predominantly new ice so I would have thought it would have just backed up like normal instead of the pile up we got. Did you see the massive slab that came by hesket yesterday? It took up almost the whole river and was extremely impressive to watch as it plowed its way down stream. I saw there was still a fairly big chunk of it stuck just above the interstate bridge this afternoon mixed in with some of the piled up ice.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last Saturday I went to south 12 corner just south of Sibley Park area and at that point the river ice was a solid sheet yet all the way across so not sure how far down the ice can move and how fast. Was someone even out fishing on the main river that had walked out from the bend, I love to fish but knowing the ice is broken just upstream and all the ice trying to get down I would never do that. Hope he had good luck, I have been at Fox Island in the past when the ice let loose and will tell you it deserves more respect than a lot of people give it. Ice and water are a force you will never win against.
dukgnfsn

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last Saturday I went to south 12 corner just south of Sibley Park area and at that point the river ice was a solid sheet yet all the way across so not sure how far down the ice can move and how fast. Was someone even out fishing on the main river that had walked out from the bend, I love to fish but knowing the ice is broken just upstream and all the ice trying to get down I would never do that. Hope he had good luck, I have been at Fox Island in the past when the ice let loose and will tell you it deserves more respect than a lot of people give it. Ice and water are a force you will never win against.
dukgnfsn

Yeah I saw that nut job as well the other day...or atleast a nut job. Same as the guy fishing the Eddy on the north side of the fox ramp. If you go down into apple creek bottoms the river there has had a huge hole all winter (aka the last 6 weeks lol) that started somewhere up in the curve and went down part way to the little hart ramp so one would have to think its grown or possibly got crushed as the break up started. The gauge is dropping fast now so I'm assuming much of or all of the jam has let go.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy was showing me pictures of Misty waters and they left there docks in all winter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51