I'm in the market

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had this same O/U that I used for sporting clays. The gun shot nice and shouldered nice, but the shape of the grip and trigger guard beat the heck out of my middle finger. After 50 rounds fired I would not be able to move my middle finger and it would swell to double the size. Sold it and replaced it with another Beretta Silver Pigeon. This was the only firearm that I owned that made me wince when I shot it.
Interesting, I've never experienced anything like that.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
+1 on ejectors as a necessity. i got my first and only one as a gift. it didn't come with them. i don't think the gift bearer even realized they make em with out them. nonetheless, its definitely a pain in the ass when you are used to hunting with a third shell at your disposal. now i am shooting 1, opening a breech, looking (cause i can never remember) for the spent shell, grabbing and replacing. meanwhilst, 3 more roosters flush and the dog looks at me like i am an idiot. which is mostly correct.
Most clay shooters that reload perfer "extractors " over ejectors,two reasons 1) empties don't hit the ground.

2) public gun range rules leave spent hull lie. Not sure why but guessing range doesnt want ppl groveling picking up empties while folks are waiting to shoot.

Some ranges in my area sell the empties to re loader guyz .02 each for cheap hulls rio,gun club etc .05 for Remington and winchester empties last i checked.

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
Berretta 686 .png

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty guns missing a trigger. The ONLY advantage I can determine over a pump or auto is the ability to carry broken over the shoulder. Well, I guess some may think a longer bbl in a shorter package is advantageous. Shot shells achieve full power at about 16in.

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty guns missing a trigger. The ONLY advantage I can determine over a pump or auto is the ability to carry broken over the shoulder. Well, I guess some may think a longer bbl in a shorter package is advantageous. Shot shells achieve full power at about 16in.
It's just a "want" svn, I've got plenty of pumps and auto's. Plus my kids seem destine not to give me grand children and so goes there inheritance...lol

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow--What the hell?!! Dad had a dbl trigger over/under?!! He was cool!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
One more thing then I'm done: My uncle had a dbl trigger O/U. I'm pretty sure it was a Franchi (pronounced "Frankie" in the Hills). This memory makes me want that gun. I COULD NOT miss hand thrown clays behind Grandma's house. It was pretty and svelte. And obviously fit me.

Dave showed me how to pull both bbls. The difference in felt recoil was negligible with "hot" high brass upland re-loads: Except a smacked middle finger...

FYI: To discharge both bbls simultaneously; insert the index and middle finger then pull(slap) "up" not "back": Pulling "back" will likely result in "boom/boom" instead of "blam" causing unnecessary discomfort and loss of "accuracy": I'm not going to post the obvious tune as it sucks.

That is all.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get you one of these

1711510190292.png

The Beretta® A400 Xplor Semi-Auto Shotgun. ...rockon...

Haven't shot mine since the fall of 2018 😭

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For many years i shot benelli SBE 1,2 and 3,great shotgun however sbe3 had intermittent cycling issues that couldntbe resolved and malfunction in the field is unacceptable for me,usually when birds in the dekes is a real pisser single shot.

After all the brain damage addressing my sbe3 cycling issues i chatted with a master local gunsmith about my benelli, he convinced me the all new Beretta A400 xtreme would be a good upgrade that can handle 1000's of magum waterfowl loads where benelli sbe3 is to lite weight for magnum pounding by the 1000's....sbe3 weight 9lbs,he said he works on many sbe3 's with same cycling issues.

So ole snow ponied up on a new A400 xtreme even tho i seldom shoot 3.5 ammo these days,this heavy duty magum shotgun is very soft shooting with its built in stock recoil reducer,my biggest complaint is the dang trigger safety infront of trigger guard why? This semi is flat shooting 50/50 @ 30yds dead center on bullseye 🎯 my sbe3 was 70/30 stock w/o tweaking making rising shots ( pheasants) a sinch.

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
For many years i shot benelli SBE 1,2 and 3,great shotgun however sbe3 had intermittent cycling issues that couldntbe resolved and malfunction in the field is unacceptable for me,usually when birds in the dekes is a real pisser single shot.

After all the brain damage addressing my sbe3 cycling issues i chatted with a master local gunsmith about my benelli, he convinced me the all new Beretta A400 xtreme would be a good upgrade that can handle 1000's of magum waterfowl loads where benelli sbe3 is to lite weight for magnum pounding by the 1000's....sbe3 weight 9lbs,he said he works on many sbe3 's with same cycling issues.

So ole snow ponied up on a new A400 xtreme even tho i seldom shoot 3.5 ammo these days,this heavy duty magum shotgun is very soft shooting with its built in stock recoil reducer,my biggest complaint is the dang trigger safety infront of trigger guard why? This semi is flat shooting 50/50 @ 30yds dead center on bullseye 🎯 my sbe3 was 70/30 stock w/o tweaking making rising shots ( pheasants) a sinch.
Funny, the very reason I don’t use my A400 for upland is the safety position. I cut my teeth with a rem 870 and it shoulders much like my Benelli’s.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same here, personal preference i guess but pheasant hunting walking with my finger on the rear of trigger guard seems more natural for quick shots or cant teach old dogs new tricks.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tough deal,these breech loader's zero felt recoil reduction,same with pump shotguns.

Its common practice to install recoil reduction items such as "kick Ezz" gel recoil pad and in my citori i installed a 9oz mercury reducer in the gunstock after trigger work...the ammunition helps as well, i seen shooters get bloody noses,cheeks from poorly fit shotguns,maga blend target ammo that kicks like a mule that takes the fun outof target shooting,why close your eyes,grit your teeth every time you call "pull".
I believe it was just a personal fit issue. I have 2 Beretta Silver Pigeons and have no problems with Hi or Low Brass target loads. I shoot heavy 4's during hunting season and have no problems with the Berrettas. I liked the feel of the SLX and it shouldered really nice for me, But it was how it fit my trigger hand.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had same issue with intermittent cycling issues with Benelli.
Sold SBE. Went back to old, reliable Browning 12ga BPS. Haven't looked back. Shoulders awesome, gun seems to be weighted well.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I have shot SBE's since they came out , the first one had to be sent in as the ejector slide broke on the very last day of season one year. has never happened since , have upgraded as they have improved them ., but still have the old one for crappy weather days . To me they just pull up better than anything else I tried

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get you one of these

1711510190292.png

The Beretta® A400 Xplor Semi-Auto Shotgun. ...rockon...

Haven't shot mine since the fall of 2018 😭
I have this one in a camo pattern, really my favorite bird gun. a real pleasure to shoot. I have been shooting trap for a few seasons now with it too, and has become the most used gun I have, or ever have had.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure glad I grew up on a double barrel. Having only 2 shots teaches you discipline in selecting shots. And in SD, everyone has 5 shots. I became a better shot than all of my friends. I Always shot more birds and never shot as many shells. Now that I'm an old fart I rarely down 2 birds at once as I never seem to find both, even with a dog.

Plus, double barrels NEVER JAM! No matter how cold or dirty, you're guaranteed 2 shots. And you can have 2 chokes!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88