International Scout

Red1Delta

I have a 1979 international scout ii with a 304. I am looking for a mechanic/auto/body shop that will work on it. I am looking to either fix up the current motor or put a new one in. I would also need a few other things done. I don't have time or the tools (or the ability) to do it myself. If you know someone or a place that is good at working with older vehicles please shoot me a message. Thanks.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd think pretty much any mechanic could work on or replace your engine. I don't know of anyone that really specializes in Scouts in ND. Pretty sure there is a place in Iowa that does LS swaps but pretty spendy.

Post some pics of your scout. I love the old binders. I had two scouts back in the day, a 78 and a 74. Had a lot of fun in the 78. For some stupid reason I sold them both. Wish i still had one. Still have a 73 Ih pickup though.

If you ever want to sell it let me know.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The "Adapt-a-kit" to convert a Scout II to a GM small-block is ~$900. I'd keep the small-block pretty mild, say ~200-225HP in order to preserve the rest of the IH drivetrain. GM small-blocks are easy to find, reasonably easy and inexpensive to re-fresh, and easy to work on once in with a bajillion parts available nearly everywhere should you need to fix something down the road.

Just the route I'd probably go given that I enjoy drive time, not so much "tinker time".

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I have a 1979 international scout ii with a 304. I am looking for a mechanic/auto/body shop that will work on it. I am looking to either fix up the current motor or put a new one in. I would also need a few other things done. I don't have time or the tools (or the ability) to do it myself. If you know someone or a place that is good at working with older vehicles please shoot me a message. Thanks.

Look up anything scout. They do restorations and driveability conversions, depending on how much you are willing to spend. Check them out on youtube. Scouts are awesome one of my favorite vehicles as I am an IH fan. I've actually been looking for a 79 or 80 scout ii, if you end up down a rabbit hole with it and decide to sell shoot me a pm

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it’s all original, keep it that way. Have the drivetrain you have rebuilt. Is the body bad with rust or is it straight and the paint is just bad? If it’s not rusty and beat up, I would buff it out, get the drivetrain sorted and drive it. Don’t make it a garage queen that you are afraid to drive.

Red1Delta

Thanks for all the responses. The exterior is in pretty good shape. I guess the question is then what local mechanic/auto shop in the Bismarck area would run through it to figure out what needs to be rebuilt and/or fixed? It runs but just needs some work.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been bringin my stuff to Oswald brothers in bismarck, my experiences with them have been good. seem like good people

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We take all of our work vehicles to Northland Performance when they need anything serious and they've been awesome to work with over the years. They've figured out some issues that other places in town didn't have a clue how to fix.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
All it probably needs is all the fluids changed, new ignition components, carb rebuilt and so on. Unless it burns oil or the trans doesn’t work right. Get it so it runs good and drive it. You will find out if you have problems or not. Like anything that old it’s a labor of love. There will be issues that arise from time to time but you just fix as you go. Good luck and maybe post up a pic or three. The new stuff is just a bunch of overpriced junk. Too complicated and difficult to repair.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88