ion auger

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard some guys are running Strikemasters flighting on the ion powerhead. Anyone know about that?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's wrong with the ion flighting? My buddy has a ion and loves it. Darn thing drills really well

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad just recently got out of ice fishing and sold me his Zack Shack. He had an Ion auger that he bought and never used and threw it in on the deal. I love it. It is light and easy to use; my wife has no problem drilling a hole with it. My only complaint is that it "dances" around a bit until it starts to dig. Also, make sure you have an extension. Once the ice gets a bit thicker and your drilling inside the house you run out of flighting real quick.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to pull the trigger on one this spring when my year end bonus came in but they were gone from most stores then. Getting one this fall for sure.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old 10" flighting was junk! I have heard they have a new 10" flight coming out this winter that is suppused to be really good. Also, its had to keep the batteries warm enough on a wheeler up in Winnipeg. We couldn't even get two holes out of the batteries before they would get too cold to work.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad just recently got out of ice fishing and sold me his Zack Shack. He had an Ion auger that he bought and never used and threw it in on the deal. I love it. It is light and easy to use; my wife has no problem drilling a hole with it. My only complaint is that it "dances" around a bit until it starts to dig. Also, make sure you have an extension. Once the ice gets a bit thicker and your drilling inside the house you run out of flighting real quick.

Yep, dancing around a bit is a great description. Don't care much for that inside the house and it doesn't drill the true 8" hole. The ice dipper I use doesn't work right in it.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.deepfreezefishing.com/product/one-shot-skimmer-pro-edition/

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I have an ion with the standard 8 inch flighting on and extension. No problems with it so no reason to change to a strikemaster, so I got nothing to compare the two. When winter gets a bit closer, I'll be hunting for a 6 inch flighting. I can only get about 30 holes from a charge in 24 inches of ice with the 8 so I'm hoping for double or triple that with a 6, but we'll see when the time comes. As of right now, my ion is not for a run and gun day on the ice. That is what my jiffy 30 is for. My ion is for going to a few spots during the day and sitting on them. However, right now I plan on enjoying our OH SO SHORT soft water period. Tight Lines Everyone!!!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you haven't seen one in action I'm telling you The Milwaukee Fuel, the Clam adapter plate, and your favorite 6 inch auger is THE BOMB! Only place we didn't use it last year was for the Winnipeg trips, where you need a gas auger to drill bigger holes through 4+ feet of ice.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just cant imagine fishing a 6 inch hole. I prefer 10 inch haha so the crappies can get off in the hole easier haha.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just cant imagine fishing a 6 inch hole. I prefer 10 inch haha so the crappies can get off in the hole easier haha.

That's what I said before last year. I'd fished nothing but 10 inch holes for years and years. This setup drills holes so fast we would drill one hole for the Vexilar and another hole right behind it for fishing. Even up in Winnipeg we used 8" augers on the Stikemasters and had no problems. Only place I foresee using the 10" bit anymore will be the permanent shack on LOW, and that's because the hole normally shrinks in size over the course of a weekend.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get kluges 6 inch flighting and super blades and put that on your milwaukee drill for the fastest setup. U can drill double holes also with those blades.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im with you. I have a Eskimo Shark Z71 10 inch. Damn thing chews through ice like you wouldnt believe. Its hard for me to even to fish a 8 inch

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When perch are your main target throughout the winter, it's not hard to fish a 6. For crappies and eyes, I'd still use the 8.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished all last year with an ion turning a mora 6" auger. It doesn't spin the fastest, but cut very nicely. We changed the blades once and if my father-in-law would keep them out of the sand/dirt it would've lasted all year. This was on Devils Lake, and its rather humbling how few fish actually have an issue with a 6"hole. I personally pulled a two 7-8 pound walleyes through and witnessed two pike that were 38-40" come through. The nice thing about that smaller hole, is once you get them started, they have a tough time turning around and those fish that do come unbuttoned in the hole are easier to grab. My 2 pennies . . .

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Multiple 10 pounders in our group have come through the ice on an 8 inch hole with barbless hooks and no problems. Apparently not many have used this Fuel drill/clam plate setup. It was all new as of last year. It is nothing like I have ever seen. After using a friends setup most of last year for ND perch/walleye I will never bring another auger for that purpose.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Multiple 10 pounders in our group have come through the ice on an 8 inch hole with barbless hooks and no problems. Apparently not many have used this Fuel drill/clam plate setup. It was all new as of last year. It is nothing like I have ever seen. After using a friends setup most of last year for ND perch/walleye I will never bring another auger for that purpose.

With a ten inch hole, I rarely worry about the vex ducer though. And I lost multiple big fish last year dicking with trying to get that out. Plus, it is just easier out of a larger hole.

- - - Updated - - -

And the last statement applies to several discussions .....:;:smokin

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn transducers have cost me more than a few fish. I guess without it, though, I wouldn't have caught near as many to get off in the first place.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
a guy needs a drill with a 3 inch blade just for the tranducer baha.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75