Is a 16 foot Crestliner Fishhawk too small for Lake Ashtabula?

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone told me today they wouldn't fish on Lake Ashtabula with a 16 foot boat, it is too small for that big a lake. We have never had any issues. Any thoughts?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Id take that bad boy on Sak and DL!! Hang 10, Let er rip!!

I fished out if a boat similar to that for years. Was fine on Sak. If it was windy I just tucked into a bay.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's more about commonsense and experience then the size of the vessel. When I was a kid my dad took my grandpa, brother and I out on sak. in a 14' boat with a 9.9 hp motor and we did fine.

LukeLuke

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here, we had a 14' boat growing up too. Be smart about it and you can go on any lake in ND.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had my 16' tiller on sakakawea. Knowing your limits goes a long ways. If it's some rough water or some weather might roll in that day, I wouldn't run across the lake.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
fished on oahe with my dads 16' blue fin just got to use a little common sense and it is fine

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is a perfect size boat for the old Ashtry, even on the windyest of days it would still be manageable. depending on motor size you probably won't be making to many runs from Sibley to the dam, but that's why they have multiple boat ramps. Fishhawks run a bit shallow so a good bow mount trolling motor preferably with at least auto pilot and drift socks would be your first two purchases...then fish on

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deerhntr71, I actually have the Tracker that is for sale in the classifieds. I had that boat out on Ashtabula almost every weekend for the last 4 years. Even on the windiest days and never had a problem. My wife and I would fish very comfortable out of it.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just make sure to strap down your cooler so it doesn't knock you out...

Capture.jpg

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished out of a 16 ft single console for years on Ash.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone told me today they wouldn't fish on Lake Ashtabula with a 16 foot boat, it is too small for that big a lake. We have never had any issues. Any thoughts?

That person needs a kick in [fill in your choice of words], must be jealousy of your boat...IDK.

Goose Bandit

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fish Ashtabula for many years out of a 14' Lund with a 15hp evinrude, and never been blown off there. I have since upgraded to a 1700 pro v tiller!!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell you are good... get out there and fish... maybe watch your winds on sakakawea... but you should be fine everywhere... I've watched a 14' boat cross sakakawea in 6' rollers... it's all about matching your speed to the chop even in a bigger boat you can get yourself in trouble anywhere... I sometimes wish I had a smaller boat so I could go stupid shallow at times... (14 ranger reata w/150 merc I can float in 1.5 fow)

P.S. if you are worried about winds do some light reading on boat control in poor weather

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46