Just gave cpr ...

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
On my way home from work, and we noticed a car down a tall steep ditch just outside of Stanley. It was smoking so we quick ditched the pickup and grabbed the fire extinguisher.

There was a couple other guys down there. We assumed 1 of them was the driver.

We were wrong. We luckily looked in the car and noticed the driver was still in the car and unconscious.

We pulled him out, worried that the car fire was going to take off (and it did).

He wasn't breathing so we started cpr. I take cpr training every year, but never thought id need it.

Cop and ambulance showed up. I continued cpr while paramedics did other things to try and help this man.

He was still unresponsive as we put him in ambulance.

I hope he pulls thru.

It's a humbling thing to be in that situation.

Weird how a guy looks back and dwells on the mistakes. I didnt grab our 1st aid kit. It was probably 30 seconds of wasted time b4 we realized the driver was still in the car. Makes me sick thinking about it.

Has anyone else been thru a situation like this?

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't...but you did right thing by helping out and doing what you could, you are always going to dwell after the fact, if "you did everything right" thats just natural thought process of being human not matter what the outcome.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well done, Vollmer. When has "shoulda" ever fixed anything? Did what you could, and that's a lot.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
awesome job dude. you did what you could regardless what the results are.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, had to do cpr once, hope to never have to do it again! This case didn't end well and when hunting have many times that bring that day back! BUT that said, would do it again if had to.

Thumbs up to you, I think most people would not have stopped when they saw others there. Good Job!

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just covered this topic in our safety meeting this morning. The statement at the end of the video we watched was "The only mistake you can make is not doing anything".
You did the best you could, that's what matters.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You did all you could so dont beat yourself up playing could of, should of.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great job Vollmer. Looks like u did everything right don't beat yourself up over what u could have done different.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vollmer...I'm been a flight paramedic, 911 dispatcher, CPR and EMS instructor for over 20 years.

You did the right thing. 80% of people would never have stopped, they would have called 911 to report it, but kept driving. Remember this, the chance of surviving a traumatic cardiac arrest is less than 1%. In this situation all we can do is try, and that is what you did. Someone mentioned "Do something"... this is exactly right. A person in cardiac arrest is the most stable person you will ever work on....nothing you can do can make the situation worse, only better.

I don't want you second guessing yourself, PM me if you have any questions.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for doing what you did, you were there for a reason and did the right thing- many would not. Prayers for everyone involved and God bless.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how to give a thumbs up in the forums. But I would give you 10 thumbs up V

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good job!1st and most important thing is you stopped and sounds like you did everything exactly right in one of the most intense situations that one can put yourself in.I know what you've been through its a crazy and chaotic situation . working for the Stutsman Co sheriff the only thing worse is getting a call about weapons involved.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76