Lake Winnipeg Update 2017

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once the water at the mouth dirties up, do any of you guys fish further north along the shorelines to stay shallow?

Has anybody ever fished Traverse Bay?

We tried that dirty crap up there last year and had poor luck. We fished Balsam Bay after the first day and caught some fish, but it was not great. Had to move a long ways North to find clean water.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
We tried that dirty crap up there last year and had poor luck. We fished Balsam Bay after the first day and caught some fish, but it was not great. Had to move a long ways North to find clean water.

That's too bad. Traverse has some structure.

iceeyes

We were never in clear water the whole trip. Very stained but didn't fish in the true mud. You may not get the numbers in that stuff but we've always got out big fish doing that. Whether it's dirty or not when it gets warm those fish have one thing in mind, that's to get up stream so they are going to be in the stuff. Also have noticed when we do get them in the muddy water they are very very agressive. A lot of fun

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well clean water for that area is like 4 inches of visibility. I'm sure when the river starts dumping in though, it'll be truly chocolate milk which I am doubtful will produce very well, but never know...

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well clean water for that area is like 4 inches of visibility. I'm sure when the river starts dumping in though, it'll be truly chocolate milk which I am doubtful will produce very well, but never know...

Yep, I should have said clear by LW standards.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the hell, V is fishing up on the big windy and no fishing report or pictures! :;:lame Maybe to much drinky after fishing. :;:huh ;:;rofl

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think they were starting until this morning. Slow for us yesterday. Only two of us up here. Biggest was 25.5. Better bite going this morning but no big ones YET

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Topped out at 26". Trip was cut short due to the incoming blizzard. I'll be back next year!

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Topped out at 26". Trip was cut short due to the incoming blizzard. I'll be back next year!

Yeah, that's the curve ball that one has zero control over. With as active as things are looking for March weather patterns, I'm sure it'll affect us too in a couple weeks. Maybe we'll get lucky though.

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
What were the ridges like? Sloppy or can a guy get around them with a ranger with wheels and chains? Also what access did you use?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Most ridges were fine. The one big one on west side, got bad the 2nd day. We had to use planks to get back across. It changed quite a bit that day.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
We ended up with a 28 1/4 as our biggest fish and got 5 over 27 on Monday. Ridges were iffy on sunday but better on Monday.

Jimhardy

Hi Guys , Jim from Manitoba here .
Just caught up on all your posts and sounds like some guys found the honeys holes and some didn't quite get the big ones they were after .
coming from a guy who is on the ice all winter, yes the dirty water has become a factor but it doesn't take much to find the edge and that is where we have been finding the fish.
Move move move ... that is the only mantra to follow when your on Big Windy. if you want to camp out in a shelter then your not going to get the numbers.
as for travel, east side was pretty blown in this morning but a local has cleaned the path. west side access is fantastic , clear clean ice for miles , even a few small cars out on the ice.
lucky for us the blizzard stopped south of us and we didn't see any of that snow. winds were absolutely nuts for a few days as some of you probably experienced but no snow accumulation which has created perfect conditions. Cold weather has come back so ice is still real solid and of course WATCH OUT for the open water at the ridges and remember the 2' crack you cross in the morning can be 5-8' wide by end of day when traveling back. This is the time of year the ice likes to really move.

I have had a cancellation and have a cabin open for rent from March 27 - April 4 ( last day of the season.
if anyone needs a place let me know at jimhardy91@gmail.com.
Good luck and as I have said in earlier posts if anyone needs a hand while up here call me at 1-204-792-1053 and I will do my very best to help you out with whatever it is you need.
Jim

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jim, I'm heading up next week. I have tracks on my suzuki, but have been contemplating putting the wheels on instead. Ive seen lots of people getting around fine with wheels most of the season. Can you get around fine on tires?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Auggie, I used tracks but only because I find it easier crossing ridges without the need for planks. You'd be fine with tires but might want to have someone haul some planks incase there is a lot of movement of the ridges.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking about strapping my atv bi-fold ramp on the quad for crossing cracks this year. Is that a stupid idea? I know it's strong enough just not sure about length...

Jimhardy

right now tires are the way to go , I have a group here now with tracks and they are getting around just fine , Fisherman 25 I use the same kind of ramps and they work fine ( i actually prefer them to the planks because they have some grip .
Unless we get a big dump of snow the ice will be perfect for travel with the tires on . - This is the west side i am speaking about.
Jim

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33