Leupold CDS

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have any experience with the Leupold CDS turrets. I picked up a "new-to-me" Tikka in 300wsm last weekend and have been doing some looking for a scope for it.

Specifically i am looking at the VX3i 4.5-14x50 with 30mm tube.

Open to other options at this point since i am in the early stages of research.

Mounted a spare scope on it for now to work up some loads for it.

Wont be looking to purchase a new scope for awhile but it will be done before next fall

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
just use there m1 turrets and be done with it. ballistic turrets hamstring you

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
just use there m1 turrets and be done with it. ballistic turrets hamstring you

i like to use the cds sized turret that isn't customized, it comes marked like an m1. just a little lower profile/less bulky. personal preference.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
so if i go that route if the scope has 1/4 moa adjustments that would adjust POI 1.25 inches per click at 500 yards correct.

I need to do some looking and learning scope dope if i go that route

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
so if i go that route if the scope has 1/4 moa adjustments that would adjust POI 1.25 inches per click at 500 yards correct.

if you're fairly certain you are only gonna shoot one load through that rifle more often than not have the dial customized for free by leupold. I've never actually used a caliber specific one but reviews look favorable. most important thing is to shoot it and confirm drops

- - - Updated - - -

lots of websites will give you printable charts for whatever load you wanna shoot. I use the ballistics calculator on hornadys website. others might be better

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't get the cds. unless they lock now. if they don't lock and you hunt like a man, they will inadvertently spin and cost you the biggest slick head of your life

have had 2, have sold 2

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have any experience with the Leupold CDS turrets. I picked up a "new-to-me" Tikka in 300wsm last weekend and have been doing some looking for a scope for it.

Specifically i am looking at the VX3i 4.5-14x50 with 30mm tube.

Open to other options at this point since i am in the early stages of research.

Mounted a spare scope on it for now to work up some loads for it.

Wont be looking to purchase a new scope for awhile but it will be done before next fall

I had a Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50 and didn't like it because the eye relief shifted dramatically as you adjusted magnification. However, I also had a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 (which has the same erector as the Mark4 according to Leupold) and there was a little change in eye relief but it wasn't too bad. If you're patient, you can find that VX-3i with the windplex reticle and CDS for under $500 new. I liked it and would buy one again.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

you dont count clicks you dont care how many inches what and where at a distance. you dial what you need so if you range 548 yards input it into a program or look at your dope sheet you dial 5.5 minutes check wind aim and shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

don't get the cds. unless they lock now. if they don't lock and you hunt like a man, they will inadvertently spin and cost you the biggest slick head of your life

have had 2, have sold 2

Dont the new vx6 have locking turrets i thought i saw some where not much of a leupy guy so have not really paid attention

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't know how you guys hunt but I never had time for all that clicking stuff.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
open prairie and spot and stalk. I have not shot a deer that has known i am there since i can remember. My kid has shot 2 does and they didnt have a clue. I am not against running shots because if big daddy popped up at 150 running side ways i would kill it i just would prefer not to have it run.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
CDS upside:

1. Simple, just dial to the demarcated yardage based upon what your rangefinder spits out.
2. Zero-stop, the scope can easily be dialed back to zero.
3. Low-profile

Downside:

1. You're stuck to 1 specific load.
2. If you're shooting factory ammo and they change or discontinue the offering, you're hosed.
3. You're stuck to 1 spin on the turret, meaning you only get 15 MOA of elevation which allows for ~600-700 of elevation correction.

Generic turret:

Sighted in. You adjust your thinking to MOA, not "clicks". You NEVER count more than 3 clicks because the 4th click = a new MOA demarcation:

P1010059.jpg

Critter spotted @ 500, consult chart, see that 8MOA + 2 clicks (8.5 MOA total) is required for elevation correction:

P1010062.jpg

Dial to 8+2 or 8.5 MOA:

P1010060.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of old Leupold tactical scopes that are very good. Since the mid 1990's I have had trouble. The last one run me $1299 and I worked and worked on my 300 mag to get a good group. One day I put an old 1977 Bushnell 3X9 Sportview on it and cut my group in half. I sent the scope and two targets to Leupold and they sent me a new scope. I never mounted the new scope, I didn't want to tell someone it was good and know better. I sold it new in the box for $850.
The new reticles that keep coming out make me want to change scopes often. The minute of angle I have on my Vortex I like, and the last Vortex I bought had the new C2 battle reticle. Now I want it on all my long range rifles. This one is on a new 6.5 Creedmoor and I have used the reticle to 1316 yards. It was beyond the capability of the reticle so I did have to dial 12.5 inches on the turret and use the 38 minute mark on the reticle. That was last fall so memory is a little fuzzy. I may have used 32 inches and dialed 18.5 All I do remember is there was so much wind that I wanted to use the reticle rather than dial for windage. 20170114_120548.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is the child of the xlr reticle i have been running for 4 years

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok after seeing SDMF's post the whole MOA thing makes more sense to me. the drop charts would make for quick adjustments.

all my ammo with this rifle will be handloads and mainly for deer shooting 150 ttsx loads unless i go hunting for elk or moose.

If i was to go with a scope with turrets like the pics in his post what would be the best option. I would want something with locking turrets to turret caps to aviod the bumping and accidental adjustments.

I would consider Leupold and Vortex the ones i will lean toward first. Have looked down a burris veracity and liked them too but they seemed heavy to me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
what are you end goals with this rifle? what do you want to spend? both would help narrow some thing down. A 2.5-10x42 nightforce nsx would probably fit the bill

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
hunting to 600 or so and occasional target shooting to the same range. Looking to keep the scope between 600 and 800

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sort of naive when it comes to various optics. I shoot leupold cause that's what I grew up shooting and what sdmf continues to tell me to shoot haha. they do just flat out work though. you could find a nice used vx3 (or discounted new if you do your shopping), send it in to leupold they will put whatever turret you want on, change reticles, zero stop, etc. and you'd come out way under 800. turret caps would be the only thing you'd be lacking.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
600 yards you could do for under $200. The Nikon Prostaff that I use works great with Strelok+. You can use the bullet drop, or dial in with the turrets.

Attachments

BDC Standard, Nikon.jpg BDC, Nikon.jpg
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90