Lifejacket for kids?

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have three year old daughter that love to fish but not a fan of the stay puffed plastics life jackets. I know they have come a long ways for adults but most for kids are still in the 70's. Has any one found anything better? I have google it with little luck. We may try the arm one that goes across. Any help appreciated.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have neoprene life jackets for all 3 of my kids. 3,7 and 9. They never seem to have a issue wearing them, but I would never give them a option.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take the child with, and have them help pick it out. I am cheap when it comes to spending on stuff the kid will out grow in a year or two, however this is not the place to save $20.00. If they help pick it out, and its comfortable for them, you will not have to argue with them about wearing it.
I have 4 kids, and a couple grandkids, never let them take them off in the boat, and they wont ever have to ask, once understood.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The life jacket I wore as a kid had a handle on the top. Made for a good lifting point when my dad would throw us overboard. Johnr is right, let them pick it out to make sure it fits. I hated mine and would consistently take it off.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The younger you go the harder it is to find one that fits. I had to get one for my 17 month old daughter who loves boat rides. the life jacket she had did not fit well at all. I took her to scheeles, walmart, and a few other places trying to find one that fit nicely. Ended up at menards. they had a nice neoprene lifejacket that fit her well. price wasnt the best but im not worried about that when it comes to safety gear. now with this new one she will go into her room at night and dig it out and carry it out to me once a week or so.

My advise is same as above comments. take child with you and find one that fits well. Extra money is worth it with safety gear IMO

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boy was getting really hot in his last year so I found a mesh style life jacket that Cabelas has that fits him good. He is 60#s we have used 3 different jackets with him so far.

i quadruple second that this is not a place to save money.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75