Lithium Deep Cycle Batteries

Mr. Pike

Looks like they've come down in price some. I paid $400 for the 100 amp 2 years ago. Used it this summer to power my 12 volt trolling motor non-stop for 4 hours. Wished I'd waited and gotten the 200 amp.

Amazon product

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
I think my 100amp is around 20lbs. Nice for traveling/maintenance/winterizing to not have a heavy battery to throw around. I expected a little more but a 12v trolling motor still doesn't replace a kicker for trolling cranks in any kind of wind. I think 24v is a bit more efficient but would be overkill on my 14ft lund.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a guy was wanting to use one of the bigger lithium batteries in an RV/ice house would something with the onboard inverter/charger need to be changed to run it? The deep cycles in my fish house are shot and I was thinking of going to a bigger lithium instead

Mr. Pike

If a guy was wanting to use one of the bigger lithium batteries in an RV/ice house would something with the onboard inverter/charger need to be changed to run it? The deep cycles in my fish house are shot and I was thinking of going to a bigger lithium instead
You'll need a lithium charger to charge the battery back up. Can't use regular battery charger.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll need a lithium charger to charge the battery back up. Can't use regular battery charger.
Why does my Vexilar charger which use to be the old standard battery, charge the Dakota Lithium battery I use in it now. Just a question.. . .

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Why does my Vexilar charger which use to be the old standard battery, charge the Dakota Lithium battery I use in it now. Just a question.. . .
You're not getting full capacity out of your Dakota Lithium if you're using a lead acid charger. You also most likely got conned, they're made in China just like the rest. Included a screenshot of their explanation of the charging issue.
Screenshot_20240111-181959.png

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can you have a starting battery(outboard only)that is AGM with a lithium as a house battery( main electrical panel)using a sea star battery isolater that charges the house battery as well as starting battery?

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Can you have a starting battery(outboard only)that is AGM with a lithium as a house battery( main electrical panel)using a sea star battery isolater that charges the house battery as well as starting battery?
I'm no expert but from my understanding you'd be in a similar situation as wslayer. You could charge both but would be only charging the lithium part way. There's multiple bank onboard chargers that allow for different types of batteries if someone wanted to charge two types of battery with one charger. Customer service at most of the companies is pretty good, following their recommendations is also a good plan if you ever have issues that result in a warranty claim

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 200 amp lithium in my camper. I disconnected the onboard charger and rely on 600 watts of solar. I will be adding another 200 watts this spring.
I did purchase a different portable charger that brings my lithium up to 14.4 volts while in winter storage, then found a 14.4 v lithium battery maintainer for winter.
I did have two huge heavy AGM batteries brand VMax that rated number one on utube and on online camping information. They were 125 amp and over 100 lb. They run me $300 each and I wasn't impressed. At 50% discharge they dropped below usable power so the combined 250 amp only gives 125 usable amps. The lithium can be discharged to 10% so that gives 180 usable amps.
The best thing about lithium with solar is the speed at which the battery will accept power. A lead acid on a 10amp charger starts out accepting full power, but shortly drops off to 75% then less and less. To fully charge may require 10 to 12 hours. On a day with good sun they may only charge 25%. Lithium on the other hand you can pour the power to them and they will accept it. My three 200 watt solar panels will fully charge the 200 amp lithium on a bright day. I am adding 200 watts this spring so I get a full charge on a hazy or partly cloudy day.
Edit: my charge controller indicates that my solar pannels are charging my lithium at 28 amps in good sunlight. Another pannel shiukd put my charging amps at about 36 to 38.

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PG do you really rely on your batteries that much? Don't you have generators?

I'm new to the "camper game" but I was under the impression the battery basically runs your fridge and the hitch. Anything 12v.

Excuse my ignorance.

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG do you really rely on your batteries that much? Don't you have generators?

I'm new to the "camper game" but I was under the impression the battery basically runs your fridge and the hitch. Anything 12v.

Excuse my ignorance.
Fridge
Lights
Heater
Water pump
are the basics when red neck camping

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Right, but your guys rely on the solar panels and your battery/batteries for that?

ALL of that?!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't speak for PG, but when we use to camp we did have a generator on the back hitch rack. Rarely used, but we didn't use heater either. As long as fridge was running, I was happy.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ha!! I hear ya!! Mrs. Jiffy likes air conditioning though.

I won't lie, it's REALLY nice to have AC when it's hot as hell and have the option to get out of it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just plug it all in along with the sewer water hookups -- that is camping!!!

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I can't speak for PG, but when we use to camp we did have a generator on the back hitch rack. Rarely used, but we didn't use heater either. As long as fridge was running, I was happy.
Your fridge was likely running on propane not 12v battery power. (Other than to run the circuit board ,temp control etc.) An RV fridge will eat a battery in absolutely no time at all.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84