Lithium Deep Cycle Batteries

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your fridge was likely running on propane not 12v battery power. (Other than to run the circuit board ,temp control etc.) An RV fridge will eat a battery in absolutely no time at all.

That's possible I guess. Pretty sure salesdude said electric but I'm not positive.

Actually I had to look it up. I couldn't help it. It has an auto feature that swaps to propane as a backup when electricity isn't available.

Anyway, back to lithium batteries.....sorry.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your fridge was likely running on propane not 12v battery power. (Other than to run the circuit board ,temp control etc.) An RV fridge will eat a battery in absolutely no time at all.
You are correct. . .

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you have a starting battery(outboard only)that is AGM with a lithium as a house battery( main electrical panel)using a sea star battery isolater that charges the house battery as well as starting battery?
If you use a lithium charger on a lead-acid battery, it will supply a constant voltage to the battery for as long as it is able to. This could drain the cells below their usual capacity and shorten the life of the battery so it is not a good idea to try. You need two different chargers. Several friends found that out

Last edited:

Mr. Pike

I have a 200 amp lithium in my camper. I disconnected the onboard charger and rely on 600 watts of solar. I will be adding another 200 watts this spring.
I did purchase a different portable charger that brings my lithium up to 14.4 volts while in winter storage, then found a 14.4 v lithium battery maintainer for winter.
I did have two huge heavy AGM batteries brand VMax that rated number one on utube and on online camping information. They were 125 amp and over 100 lb. They run me $300 each and I wasn't impressed. At 50% discharge they dropped below usable power so the combined 250 amp only gives 125 usable amps. The lithium can be discharged to 10% so that gives 180 usable amps.
The best thing about lithium with solar is the speed at which the battery will accept power. A lead acid on a 10amp charger starts out accepting full power, but shortly drops off to 75% then less and less. To fully charge may require 10 to 12 hours. On a day with good sun they may only charge 25%. Lithium on the other hand you can pour the power to them and they will accept it. My three 200 watt solar panels will fully charge the 200 amp lithium on a bright day. I am adding 200 watts this spring so I get a full charge on a hazy or partly cloudy day.
Edit: my charge controller indicates that my solar pannels are charging my lithium at 28 amps in good sunlight. Another pannel shiukd put my charging amps at about 36 to 38.
I bought a Renogy 100 watt portable solar panel with a 20 amp output. With full sunlight it's suppose to charge my 100 amp lithium ion 5 hours or less. I also have a Champion 3100 watt generator that I can use to run the air conditioner during the day if I have to. Was hoping to go boondocking in my camper for about a week this summer in the badlands. Might have to get another 100 amp lithium to run my inverter for my CPAP and TV at night

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I bought a Renogy 100 watt portable solar panel with a 20 amp output. With full sunlight it's suppose to charge my 100 amp lithium ion 5 hours or less. I also have a Champion 3100 watt generator that I can use to run the air conditioner during the day if I have to. Was hoping to go boondocking in my camper for about a week this summer in the badlands. Might have to get another 100 amp lithium to run my inverter for my CPAP and TV at night
Hate to break it to you but a 100 watt panel is not charging a dead 100 amp battery in 5 hours. More like 2 days. In full sun.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good grief. How many acres of land does it need?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG do you really rely on your batteries that much? Don't you have generators?

I'm new to the "camper game" but I was under the impression the battery basically runs your fridge and the hitch. Anything 12v.

Excuse my ignorance.
I run my fridge (12v) TV, lights, and a circuit that gives me 110 in the kitchen for my coffee pot, in the bathroom for the wife's curling iron and hair dryer, and in the bedroom for phone charging etc.
I have a 1000 watt inverter, and miss the 2200 watt that was in my old camper.
I do have a generator. I used my 3000 w Honda in the past, but switched to a 4500 w Onan with remote control. I hook up the generator before I go to bed so if I need electricity before morning I only need hit the start fob. Last summer we went through Montana, Idaho, to the coast in Washington and back home without ever starting the generator.
Edit: Oh I forgot to mention batteries also run the 12v tank heaters when the temp drops below freezing.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why not build a insulated box to put over the generator and have a intake hole and a exhaust hole and run it all night. You can always put a computer fan in intake hole for more air if need be.

Mr. Pike

Why not build a insulated box to put over the generator and have a intake hole and a exhaust hole and run it all night. You can always put a computer fan in intake hole for more air if need be.
I've run it in the back of my pickup before. I leave the tailgate down and topper door open and try to point it away from the other campers, but it's still pretty noisy.

Mr. Pike

My 20 amp lithium charger plug in charger charges my battery in about an hour. Why wouldn't a 20 amp solar charger charge it in 5 hours?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think someone has made a mistake. I read reviews on solar for months before my first purchase and my first purchase was the best portable suitcase model that I coukd find.

Purchased 1 time​

Last purchased Sep 30, 2020

Product support
Set reminder

Visit the Renogy Store
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 2,934Reviews

Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Portable Solar Panel with Waterproof 20A Charger Controller, Foldable 100W Solar Panel Suitcase with Adjustable Kickstand, Solar Charger for Power Station RV Camping Off Grid​

Solar charge controllers are always higher amp rating than the solar panels can provide. In bright sun this foldable all containing 200 watt produced a little over 14 amps for me. The best 100 watt that I coukd find was rated at 11 amps. Maybe there are better that I am still unaware of.

I currently have a 60amp charge controller with three 200 watt Renogy solar panels connected and the top I have seen is 28 amps. Renogy 100 watt solar panels are around 10 amps so mathmaticly you would think I was kicking out 60 amps, but I am not.

I started out with four 100 watt panels ( permanently mounted) shortly after buying the portable. I switched to 200 watt panels and put the 100 watt on my enclosed hunting trailer. In the past we went to bed at 7:00pm, but you can't get the grandkids ( in their 20s) to go to bed that early. So we camp high for glassing, and for cell service. My phone becomes a hot spot, and we watch Netflix. I know, I know it's not roughing it, but at 75 I have about 60 years of roughing it behind me. More if you consider our house didn't have electricity, running water, or indoor bath when I was born. Looks like another stent, or pacemaker or something coming up for me this Friday so I'm open to suggestions of more comfortable cough cough camping.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess this explains why I am getting 28 amps. The following specs are for a 100 watt pannel.
SPECIFICATIONS
Maximum Power at STC: 100W

Cell Efficiency: 22.00%

Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 20.4V

Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 24.3V

Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 4.91A

Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.21A

Operating Temperature: -40°F to 176°F

Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 15A

Certifications: CE, ISO

Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think someone has made a mistake. I read reviews on solar for months before my first purchase and my first purchase was the best portable suitcase model that I coukd find.

Purchased 1 time​

Last purchased Sep 30, 2020

Product support
Set reminder

Visit the Renogy Store
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 2,934Reviews

Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Portable Solar Panel with Waterproof 20A Charger Controller, Foldable 100W Solar Panel Suitcase with Adjustable Kickstand, Solar Charger for Power Station RV Camping Off Grid​

Solar charge controllers are always higher amp rating than the solar panels can provide. In bright sun this foldable all containing 200 watt produced a little over 14 amps for me. The best 100 watt that I coukd find was rated at 11 amps. Maybe there are better that I am still unaware of.

I currently have a 60amp charge controller with three 200 watt Renogy solar panels connected and the top I have seen is 28 amps. Renogy 100 watt solar panels are around 10 amps so mathmaticly you would think I was kicking out 60 amps, but I am not.

I started out with four 100 watt panels ( permanently mounted) shortly after buying the portable. I switched to 200 watt panels and put the 100 watt on my enclosed hunting trailer. In the past we went to bed at 7:00pm, but you can't get the grandkids ( in their 20s) to go to bed that early. So we camp high for glassing, and for cell service. My phone becomes a hot spot, and we watch Netflix. I know, I know it's not roughing it, but at 75 I have about 60 years of roughing it behind me. More if you consider our house didn't have electricity, running water, or indoor bath when I was born. Looks like another stent, or pacemaker or something coming up for me this Friday so I'm open to suggestions of more comfortable cough cough camping.
Best of luck with the health thing!!!!!!!!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84