Lowrance Mapping

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up a couple of used HDS 8 units - one is a Gen 1 and the other is Gen 2. What is everyone using for lake maps. I am in MN and fish kind of all over. I have been looking at the Insight Maps and doing some of the Insight Genesis stuff. Is Insight the best way to go? I would really like LakeMaster but I am a Lowrance guy and have been forever, so that is out. It sounds like Navionics sucks so I don't want to drop that coin if the mapping isn't the best.

What is everyone's recommendation?

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have an opinion on this? I am going to pick up a chip soon, just not sure which one to go with yet. I am leaning towards trying the C-MAP Lake Insight HD that is now being offered vs going with Navionics.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try and find old Lakemaster chips that will work with your untis. I'd spend quite a bit of coin if necessary. I have 2 old chips for ND/SD and they will have to be pried from my cold dead hands.

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish local lakes west of the metro which are smaller and then Mille Lacs and Leech. If I venture west it would be Oahe or some of the lakes in north east SD. I may get up to LOTW but no trips currently planned.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only have experience with lakemaster and they of course are very good. You might want to go over to walleyecentral and search or ask this question, I'm sure you'd have plenty of guidance there.

Edit - did a quick search for you and found a few threads you might want to check:

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592482&highlight=chip
http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559865&highlight=chip
http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541738&highlight=chip

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake Insight HD V16 is what you are looking for. For the lakes I fish in Minnesota these maps are EXACT to the older Lakemaster chips, and I mean exact. (Detroit Lakes, Lida, West Battle, Pelican)

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards Lake Insight HD and Musky's recommendation is going to push me over the top.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84