making spinners

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
how many beads do you guys use when you tie your own spinners.
started making my own last summer and just kinda winged it mostly put 5 or 6 beads between hook and blade and then 3 or 4 infront of the blade. just curious what everybody else does

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Not sure if this is right, but I use just enough beads to cover the length of the blade. None before the blade.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if this is right, but I use just enough beads to cover the length of the blade. None before the blade.

I do the same. Usually that's 5 beads for the Colorado blades (I forget the size) that I use.
If that's not "right", there's a whole lot of walleyes over the years that have been wrong.
I have occasionally put just one bead before the blade.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
i always have enough bead to keep the blade ahead of the hook just curious what everybody else did since i was making more in the rain today since i had nothing better to do

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've made my own forever. enough beads to get the blade in front of the hook is the minimum. I'm actually going to powder paint up some blades tonight. put a fluid bed together a few months ago and haven't tried it yet.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting ready to paint up some crank baits and seen this thread. I think I'll tie spinners instead.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Adds a little air to the powder paint so you're not jamming it into dense paint. Supposed to give you better coverage. YouTube fluid bed and you'll see.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 5 beads. Big blades use more. Tikka like dirty said just googel powder paint fluid beds and you will see them. They make a huge difference. Also I recommend that you should bake your jig or metal lure. This puts a nice shine on the paint and cures it like a rock.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks pretty easy might have to try painting some of my own jigs. What do you guys use for the eyes or don't you bother with them

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks pretty easy might have to try painting some of my own jigs. What do you guys use for the eyes or don't you bother with them

I don't bother with eyes on my jigs. Unless I'm bored and my wife has some nail polish she doesn't like anymore. (Grin)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let my kid pick alot of the bead color and how many. It is kind of interesting seeing a spinner with 15 beads but he was proud when he caught a fish with it.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually put 5 beads on just enough to cover the length of the blade. I don't put a bead about the blade.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let my kid pick alot of the bead color and how many. It is kind of interesting seeing a spinner with 15 beads but he was proud when he caught a fish with it.

My 5 year old daughter helped me put some together last year- any color was cool as long as it was pink-n-purple and had enough beads to make a small necklace and had 2 blades. It caught fish.... I usually do as others have said, just enough beads to clear hook and sometimes 1 or 2 beads up front.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i do whatever the beer or vodka tell me to... fish don't seem to mind, or are drinking the same thing...

dads with daughters... let your daughter make a bracelet with about 4 quick change clevises evenly spaced between the beads with a snap swivel on one side and a loop on the other, and let her change blade colors with her outfits... you will be a cool dad with a very unique daughter...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

5 beads then quick change on 14lb xt for me

so what line are you running on your reel so that when you snag you don't loose your bottom bouncer if your running 14lb on the spinner leader

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bead color is of little significance.
Go to walmarts craft section and pick up a big bag of white or clear beads for one tenth the price you pay for your "fishing" beads.
Its spinner color that makes or breaks a day of fishing, and using the quick change blade holders means you can change colors quickly and easily.
Mrs johnr ties all our spinners, I put the beads and quick snaps on them. We can push out around 30 to 40 in an hour if making double hook crawler harness ones, even more on the single hook spinners.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76