Mechanic advice

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
So here's the situation. I have a 98 Buick lesabre and when going up hill the car cuts out but when step on the gas, it comes out of it. I hooked it up to a vehicle decoder and it showed cylinder 6 misfire. I'm leaning toward a bad spark plug or wire. Am I on the right track or is it something more? Any advice is appreciated.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
had similar issue with my pickup a few years ago and that was my issue. New plugs and wires and was back to normal

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the same issue with my car. I replaced the plugs and wires and it still did the same thing. I ended up replacing the coil pack and now it runs like a champ.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your Lesabre has the 3.8 v6 you will have three coils. If you try new plugs and wires and continue to have the problem you could switch around the coils and see if the problem follows the bad coil.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your Lesabre has the 3.8 v6 you will have three coils. If you try new plugs and wires and continue to have the problem you could switch around the coils and see if the problem follows the bad coil.[/QUOTE

Exactly what I have done in the past with my work cars and you will solve your issues.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
It does have the 3.8 in it. I'll try the plugs n wires and see if that solves it. Thanks fellas!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's nice to have such a solid mix of people and backgrounds on this site. Lots of smart people!

ElDuderino

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would of started with the coil pack first. Very common part to replace with the 3.8L GM engines when they get aged. It doesn't hurt to do the plugs and wires if its due.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found out that the car had new plugs and wires about a year ago so took the coil pack off last night and picking one up today.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine does the same. It is worse with Ethanol, and way worse when the water pump was going out (was running a little warm at times). It is back to doing it again after new plugs, but only occasionally and never at a predictable time. I'm gonna run it til the wheels fall off so no big deal.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well last Saturday on my way over to little Minneapolis, I am just getting onto the interstate, and somehow one of the trucks in front of me throws up a big rock, and just like that mrs johnrs new Ford Explorer gets a nasty chip in the windshield. Needless to say it is my fault, and "why cant I ever have anything nice, you always are ruining my stuff, that would have never happened if I was driving"...blah blah.

I took it over the the glass guy today and he fixed it, but it is still a bit visible, so I suck..haha

Not sure if this info helps your situation any, but I had to get it off my chest.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76