Minnkota Ulterra

JCNodak

Honored Member
How do you guys thing the Ulterra will work in the Red?
My Terrova actually works the best on the Red. It does cause some back and forth and almost always sways the back end of the boat, but overall I am impressed. I think it's the constant current. There is far more movement away from the spot on a lake. I can immagine that the new Ulterra with the updates spot lock would be primo on the Red, especially with your flat bottom boat.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neighbor had bought one as soon as they hit the store. Had it about 3 weeks then it quit working. He was lucky Cabelas gave him another one no questions asked. The second one is trouble free so far.

As far as Anchor mode friend drove my boat one day and by using the foot pedal he was way better than the Anchor mode. Stayed perfect where he wanted to be.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, so I have found a way to finagle the cost of a new Ulterra out of Cabelas (they have them on sale right now).

So what I am curious about is what's the difference between Ipilot and Ipilot + Link?

Isn't Link just the way to network everything into a high end depthfinder?

I don't have a great depthfinder (older LMS from Lowrance) and have no intention to upgrade that anytime soon as it works just fine for my needs where I fish 90% of the time.

Mizzou21

Allen, I have had 3 ulterras and never had an issue. Two were the 112 pound models and one was the 80. I absolutely loved this thing and would never even consider another motor at this time. The self deploy and store is amazing. I found myself much more comfortable fishing alone with the ease of loading and unloading my boat with its features. I used it on big sak and misty waters area on the river a ton. The idea of unhooking my boat and backing the trailer in and letting boat float off while being able to deploy and anchor it down while I park my truck was priceless. I will admit to being nervous to try this at first, but once I tried it a time or two I unloaded and loaded this way every time out! It worked just like the commercial showed, and the amount of times other guys were tying their boats to the dock or having their old ladies hold it to the dock while I pushed my boat away and anchored it down to get the truck were laughable. The looks on people's faces as they see it floating away or anchored out there with no one in it gave some good laughs. The one warning I will give on doing all this is to make sure the power button is on!! Oh ya, and also to make sure you have the remote around you neck....! The spot lock as guys mentioned could be better, but it was still good. I also like the convenience of being able to stow/deploy/anchor from foot pedal as well as remote. I love to pitch jigs and want my hands free all the time, so the foot pedal thing is nice. Go get it and never look back!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen, I have had 3 ulterras and never had an issue. Two were the 112 pound models and one was the 80. I absolutely loved this thing and would never even consider another motor at this time. The self deploy and store is amazing. I found myself much more comfortable fishing alone with the ease of loading and unloading my boat with its features. I used it on big sak and misty waters area on the river a ton. The idea of unhooking my boat and backing the trailer in and letting boat float off while being able to deploy and anchor it down while I park my truck was priceless. I will admit to being nervous to try this at first, but once I tried it a time or two I unloaded and loaded this way every time out! It worked just like the commercial showed, and the amount of times other guys were tying their boats to the dock or having their old ladies hold it to the dock while I pushed my boat away and anchored it down to get the truck were laughable. The looks on people's faces as they see it floating away or anchored out there with no one in it gave some good laughs. The one warning I will give on doing all this is to make sure the power button is on!! Oh ya, and also to make sure you have the remote around you neck....! The spot lock as guys mentioned could be better, but it was still good. I also like the convenience of being able to stow/deploy/anchor from foot pedal as well as remote. I love to pitch jigs and want my hands free all the time, so the foot pedal thing is nice. Go get it and never look back!

FYI. don't let the game warden catch you. This is illegal and will get you a ticket.

Mizzou21

Really H8? I have never heard that. What will they ticket me for? I guess maybe I have been really lucky then as I have done this dozens of times and didn't realize it was illegal. Seems kind of silly to me, but that could be an entirely different thread for another time! lol

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Ulterra, so I had to ask the question, but my understanding is the game warden can write you a ticket for not having an operator in the boat. I can't remember the exact verbiage he used, but something along the lines of an unsafe condition because of no operator in the boat. I believe it comes down to the discretion of the warden. Obviously that becomes subjective. I can imagine if you are the only boat at the ramp you might get a warning, but if it's pick city, garrison bay etc with 30 other boats trying to load, he can write you a ticket.

Mizzou21

Interesting! Thanks for the tip. In my opinion they should write you a ticket of thanks for pushing your boat away from traffic, anchoring it down, and not tying up the dock or ramp.... ;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88