moose population growing bigly

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get rid of all those swamp donkey's, when you see 9 in a 5 mi stretch, or 5 sunning themselves about 50yds off of a highway, that's to many

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
This deer season on the family farm south of Minot, we had enough snow that the deer weren't in the sloughs because they were blown in. So that left the heavier treed areas, but when I hunted those areas I was kicking up a cow moose with twins in one area and a single cow in another. I hunted opening weekend and Thanksgiving weekend and saw one deer. The two species just don't seem to cohabitate with each other. I also came across a moose/pickup accident just North of Coleharbor on Saturday night after Thanksgiving and it looked like several other vehicle had hit it after the pickup. Anyone hear about that accident? I think the moose population needs to be where it was several years ago, an occasional sighting instead of more than deer. Just my two cents.

Deer and moose coexist just fine. For whatever reason our deer in that part of 2K1 packed up and headed to wintering grounds after that snow storm. It was a common issue in the unit.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
somebody hit a moose just north of Coleharbor Thanksgiving weekend - my family says it was quite a mess

defiant1

Honored Member
somebody hit a moose just north of Coleharbor Thanksgiving weekend - my family says it was quite a mess

I almost hit a bull moose 3 days ago in the early morning hours. He sauntered out to try and cross in front of me as I was doing 70 mph on the highway. I braked heavy and at the last moment he turned parallel to the truck. If my window was open I could have reached out and scratched his belly. In the dark, vehicle headlights do not illuminate their hides very well at all. If my eyes had not pick up on the lighter color of his underbelly, I would have hit Bullwinkle dead on.

d1

FishinRN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen near equal moose to deer sightings in several of my last north central ND deer hunts. I had a family member fill a tag a few years ago on a very nice bull, especially by North Dakota standards. My observations are days I'm on stand and see moose I am far less likely to see deer. My feeling is what used to be a novelty seeing one 15 years ago has turned into a burden for those living in areas with established populations. In some areas my thoughts are tag numbers could and should be increased.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A bunch must of moved to north central part of the state. As a whitetail hunter they are a nuisance but I guess nice to see to. Wish I could find some horns but they live in the cattails when not sleeping on my feed pile so hard to find.

Got it them damn elk too eating my food plots up. Db-2

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same exact thing in the Turtle Mountains. Hunted fur on the prairie back in the 70s & 80s hardly ever saw a coyote but lots of fox, That changed too.

n.e corner had a great red fox population had to go 30 miles west to see a yote. now red fox are all but gone and yotes everywhere. some say when you get grass (crp) you get yotes.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad news to hit a moose or a horse. Both have long legs and can come through your windshield even in a pickup. Knew a guy that drove the Coke truck out of Jimtown years ago and he had an old Dodge pickup and hit a moose north of Jimtown on the highway and luckily it went kind of over the cab (smashed the cab though) and landed in the box of the pickup.. He was really shaken up when he called me to tell me about it. Pissed him off as they wouldn't let him butcher it.

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother had a tag this year and it was one of the most fun hunts I've been on, a very game rich environment is a good thing we thought!
We covered allot of ground, first two days I counted 43 different critters. Hardly seen a deer or a posted sign.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same thing happened to them in the turtle mountains... wonder why it doesnt effect them on the praire as much?

Had a moose die from ticks last spring by the farm!

- - - Updated - - -

If it's the same one I know about, it was hit before Thanksgiving and 3 vehicles ended up hitting it before all said and done. One vehicle I heard even went airborne. Bet that was a hell of a ride! What's left of the carcass is still there kind of up against the railroad bed. Looks like mostly hide left!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a moose die from ticks last spring by the farm!

- - - Updated - - -

If it's the same one I know about, it was hit before Thanksgiving and 3 vehicles ended up hitting it before all said and done. One vehicle I heard even went airborne. Bet that was a hell of a ride! What's left of the carcass is still there kind of up against the railroad bed. Looks like mostly hide left!

it was the evening of Saturday Nov 25 - just checked my texts about it - sounds like same one though

rapala_09

Honored Member
It seems like an increased moose population would be a good thing. Hopefully I can draw a tag :;:rockit

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kid from Portal had a calf half way through the windshield

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
One was hit by a car early Saturday morning between Wilton and Washburn on Hwy. 83.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get rid of all those swamp donkey's, when you see 9 in a 5 mi stretch, or 5 sunning themselves about 50yds off of a highway, that's to many
I hope this is sarcasm. If it is, you’re bad at it. If it isn’t, what the hell is wrong with you?

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's what I said, get rid of all them

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93