moose population growing bigly

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to help out. AR-15, maybe you can put in a good word for me at the Game & Fish. :;:smokin I've been applying for I don't know how many years and can't seem to get lucky enough to get one. Will probably draw one when I turn 80, if I live that long. Already told the kids they will have to push me around in a wheel chair when I finally do draw a tag. ;:;boozer

mills423

We have land along the Canadian border and I can tell you that from what we see - deer do not coexist with moose. When the moose move in the deer move on. The people from Lansford that were at the NDGF meeting are exactly right. There are way to many in those northern units for a once in a lifetime tag.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have land along the Canadian border and I can tell you that from what we see - deer do not coexist with moose. When the moose move in the deer move on. The people from Lansford that were at the NDGF meeting are exactly right. There are way to many in those northern units for a once in a lifetime tag.

do moose prey on the deer? harass them? how does that work exactly?

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

ask Ma nature, but that is how it works. Those that live outside the big city understand these things.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy I guess it would be something like the fox, coyote thing when coyotes move in fox are gone

um... coyotes will chase down and kill fox

moose chase down and kill deer?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm asking how/why it happens - not if

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The deer and moose seem to do fine on the Lewis and Clark WMA... might be different in the open prairie, moose likeley will out browse deer in some locations

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The deer and moose seem to do fine on the Lewis and Clark WMA... might be different in the open prairie, moose likeley will out browse deer in some locations

No - no they don't. ask smart farmer dude. that's not how ma nature works.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my observation moose are travelers for the most part but sometimes they find an area that they like and hang around that area. I was tickled pink when I saw my first Turtle Mountain moose and for the next few years I would hear of sightings here and there as the population increased no notice of deer decline . Then just over night , Population explosion . we had moose all over the place and deer became scarce . My only theory is pecking order, Deer fight each other for territory and food and there is no clear winner they just continue to hustle and bustle. Add a moose into the competition and "most" deer would rather move on than compete against a moose for territory. Right or wrong , That's the only explanation I have , Take it with a grain of salt. Every area is different with wildlife and habitat but for the sake of conversation build a fence and put moose and deer in there with a food pile in the middle. Take that with a grain of salt too.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just my .02 while Bow hunting, have had deer nearby more than once. Moose barge loudly on the scene and the deer vanish. I don’t think deer like the loud buggars crashing the party. On days I see moose in my area I don’t see deer activity

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just my .02 while Bow hunting, have had deer nearby more than once. Moose barge loudly on the scene and the deer vanish. I don’t think deer like the loud buggars crashing the party. On days I see moose in my area I don’t see deer activity
That's what I was thinking as well. Might be a similar reaction to how deer react to cattle being around. Thinking about it when I'm hunting big time moose spots I don't recall seeing much for deer. This was especially true when I hunted moose up around Sherwood the fall of the first bad wither so peak deer numbers. When I would see lots of moose there were few deer when I founds lots of deer there was few to no moose..... may very well just be some sort of coincidence but who knows I guess.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Increase the licenses in M10 from 80 to 400 it might do some good for awhile, wait till a family gets kicked to death inside their car going to Grandma's house for dinner

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Increase the licenses in M10 from 80 to 400 it might do some good for awhile, wait till a family gets kicked to death inside their car going to Grandma's house for dinner

amazing all the other states with moose dont have an astounding rate of death due to moose car accidents. Imagine if there were trees in north dakota how hard it would be to see them like say Maine

- - - Updated - - -

why would a family let a moose in their car?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

patrickstar.jpg

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member

So were you assaulted by a moose while in the woods or maybe is your name Boris and you run around with a cohort by the name of Natasha. Damn moose and squirrel....last sentence in Russian accent for effect

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
No - no they don't. ask smart farmer dude. that's not how ma nature works.

Well "smart farmer dude" at least knows moose do not "prey on deer"..........:D

- - - Updated - - -

;:;banghead

- - - Updated - - -

Latest Reputation Received (285 point(s) total)

"passive" enough not to sign bad rep and not make comments publicly in the thread, yet "aggressive" enough to spout personal bullshit. ;:;bowdown

- - - Updated - - -

um... coyotes will chase down and kill fox

moose chase down and kill deer?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm asking how/why it happens - not if

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
rhe·tor·i·cal ques·tion
noun
noun: rhetorical question; plural noun: rhetorical questions

• a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.
    "moose chase down and kill deer?"

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
hmmm... from trail camera photos it seems the deer and moose are in the same area nearly at the same time, I have 2 different locations that I've had both on the same cam in under an hour (no bait)... I'm not buying that they chase them away... food drives both, if the food is gone they are gone. example, plant canola and I bet both the moose and the deer will be gone, so will nearly every other animal.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of you read the (Deer have a direct role in Moose Deaths) thread that is up right now? Anyways the Moose & Deer relationship has been studied since the early 1900s. What is scientifically known is that deer don't like being around Moose. Most scientists believe that deer are scared of Moose. Kind of like you will rarely see any deer in the same pasture as horses. Moose size and agressive nature when competing for food sources push deer out. If you google moose/deer relationship you will find several studies.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 88