My Moose

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot this awhile ago, and just now am getting to posting it....

Shorter version:

I had been trying to get on a very large bull for 2 1/2 days, but heavy rains at the end of September slowed me down. I got a call from my friend up by Lostwood and had 4 or 5 decent bulls roaming around. My 9 year old son said, "lets go punch your tag dad"! Just the way he said it, made me not only proud but ready to go! I wanted to get a moose with my bow, so on September 24th we headed up there shortly after noon. My buddy spotted this bull laying with a cow and a calf not 25 yards off the road. I hopped out, and he took off. I chased him in the fog for about 3 miles and lost him. Soaking wet and tired, my son and I walked and drove and called for the next 4 hours. I decided to walk the last 3 tree groves and call her a day. My son walked with me for about a mile and then I saw he was tired. He asked if he could head to the truck. I held tight until he called me and told me he was at the truck. I actually kept him on the phone and he glassed while I gave him the play by play of me walking. Suddenly he says he sees a cow "right in front of me" which turned out to be about 200 yards! I had him keep an eye on her thinking it was the cow that was bedded with the bull we saw.

Turns out, it wasn't, I was just about through the last tree grove when I see a cow and a calf. I squat down and my son asks me if I see any horns! I was just about to tell him no, when I see him laying in the cat tails. My boy says to shoo him, but I told him I had to crawl to get an angle on him. I had to hang up and I put the sneak attack on him through the nasty slough mud. I got within 7 yards of him, thought I was too close and backed off to 11 yards. Grunted once, he stood up, I nailed him, a little low but hit him. I had another arrow ready. He stood there trying to figure out what happened. I drew back and let another fly just as I did, he turned and I hit him way high, right in the neck! So my lighted nock was bouncing across the prairie and sloughs for over 6.5 miles (via my fitbit).

My son is calling me saying he sees a big bull and I said I know I am 80 yards behind him! He never laughed so hard in his life watching my tired ass chase this moose.

So he doubled back to the same exact slough next to the road where we saw him bedded earlier and I hit him a 3 time at 26 yards. Totally punched him. Perfect shot. Oh but wait, the SOB decided to head 80 yards into a slough before dying!

So we got him, got home at midnight, and headed to Harvey the next day to drop off the meat.

So last year (364 days apart) I nailed my bull elk, this year my bull moose, so next year, big old ram hopefully!

bull1.jpg
bull2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, it was 45 inches wide with the gnarly drop palm on his right.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
very awesome!!!! congrats. Something you and your son will remember forever!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That sounds like a great hunt with your son. You got a really nice moose, how much meat did you get out of him?

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great memories together!! awesome

I can't tell whose smile is bigger; yours or your sons!!

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
processor said about 750 lbs or so, had to buy another freezer!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
processor said about 750 lbs or so, had to buy another freezer!

Sounds like a lot of good eating in store for you and yours. If you're like me while you're enjoying dinner you think back to the hunt and can see it again, a double win.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88