NAFA SALE!!! Time to make some money!!!............maybe.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good comb to get out burs is a must. Saw dust helps a lot when feshing. I averaged 99$ in the last auction but I don't think it will be that good this time.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sawdust? Do tell, to dry them out? absorb grease so not so slippery? Man I wish I had time for this stuff.

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
sawdust works good, but what really works good on the floor is floor dry. It really soaks up the grease especially if you have any amount of raccoons. They are so greasy!!!

The further north and west you go the better the coyotes grade on average. My average has been mostly around that 70-75 dollar range. But most of my coyotes are early season. I have seen Dec to Jan average much higher.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
good luck KDM. it was fun watching you're progress as a newbie. you did VERY WELL!!.
AS FOR PRICES.........it takes a darn good fur thats not shot up to bring good $$.
so you guys driving around blasting away with the deer rifles will be sadly:;:smokin.
JMF. your check could maybe buy my bear camp camper??:;:thumbsup

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the saw dust directly on the skin as I'm fleshing. Works great when doing the head and neck areas. It also helps get that thin membrane layer off the back legs.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have to freeze them or do they keep when they are skinned, fleshed, and dried?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
They keep I have never had to try and keep any over the summer they have always been sent up before that. I know when the are stored waiting for auction they are in a cooled building not sure on temp.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
They keep I have never had to try and keep any over the summer they have always been sent up before that. I know when the are stored waiting for auction they are in a cooled building not sure on temp.

That's what I was unsure of just curious so you send the furs to auction at end of season Feb./March, they keep them stored and have various auctions through out the year to sell your furs?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
ItemB, typically there are 4 auctions a year. January, March, June and September. Each sale has a last receiving date, so if you have your fur up there before that date they will be on the next sale. I usually ship to the first 3, if I have some I can't get up in time for the June sale I just hold them until the December sale. I won't sell anything on the September sale.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why won't u sell at the September sale? I sold a couple last year in September and averaged about 75 but those were the first ones I ever sent up.

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have to freeze them or do they keep when they are skinned, fleshed, and dried?

My fur shed is about 55-60 all winter and I hang my dried fur on fur hangers. Just make sure all the meat and fat is off. Otherwise you could have slippage. Also I run a fan 24/7 just to circulate air.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good items will still sell OK in September. But September isn't known as a big coyote sale, so it doesn't draw as many of the big coyote buyers. The bidding competition isn't usually as high as it is in the first 3 sales. And in most cases the September sale is a cleanup sale, offering what has been bought back from the previous 3 sales with very little fresh fur. The auctioneer will allow a lot of items go for less than normal just to clear up the pipeline for the next seasones fresh fur.

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
At the January sale there isn't too big of a wild fur offering either. I was told the January sale was brought back this year for the ranch mink people.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might have been able to average $5-10 more on the January 15' sale, but you never know. I just know historically decent coyotes always average less on the September sale.

- - - Updated - - -

At the January sale there isn't too big of a wild fur offering either. I was told the January sale was brought back this year for the ranch mink people.

That's true, but it's usually a good coyote sale. There are usually a lot of Canadian coyotes there because they typically have prime coyotes sooner and start sooner than most places. Here it's tough to get to many up for January sale because the last receiving date is mid December. For me I only had 12 put up in time for the January sale this year.

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might have been able to average $5-10 more on the January 15' sale, but you never know. I just know historically decent coyotes always average less on the September sale.

- - - Updated - - -

That's true, but it's usually a good coyote sale. There are usually a lot of Canadian coyotes there because they typically have prime coyotes sooner and start sooner than most places. Here it's tough to get to many up for January sale because the last receiving date is mid December. For me I only had 12 put up in time for the January sale this year.

Yeah usually I am only half way done with my first of the season batch with putting up fur. not to mention from dec 1 to dec 15 IMO is the best time in ND to get coyotes. So I am usually out calling pretty hard so I don't have time to put fur up!! :) I have never had any done in time for the january sale.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bucks, that's a possibility, I need a new trailer for the quad first though.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
brother lives in Minot. said bring it up there and it would be sold in 1/2 day LOL.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet, and probably for a lot more than you thought.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do the lotting letters come? I've been looking on the NAFA site and my email with no luck. Am I missing something?? Thanks!!

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do the lotting letters come? I've been looking on the NAFA site and my email with no luck. Am I missing something?? Thanks!!

Lotting letters are posted on the NAFA website. I am getting a bit impatient for them to come out!!! :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75