Natives gill netting~

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
1833 you talk like an expert on the subject, but I doubt that you are, sounds like you favor a rape and pillage mentality

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
1833 you talk like an expert on the subject, but I doubt that you are, sounds like you favor a rape and pillage mentality

There are reports on all of this subject matter. The decline of Mille Lacs Lake is documented well; includes many reasons for decline of the walleye population. You don't have to be an expert to look at the EA for DAPL or the state application to see what it lacks. Go ahead and read it these documents. You might learn something. GST posts links to things all the time and we all know how that works out so find them yourself.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, peace out. Since you brought it up twice, I hope for the sake of everyone that that pipeline never leaks because the effects of a leak were never part of the approval process and everyone bent over and took it. Well, almost everyone.

You do know that when the protests began at the Missouri River near it's confluence with the Cannonball River that the DAPL had crossed the Missouri or it's tributaries a total of 6 times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/23/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protest-map.html

1. The Little Knife River near Stanley
2. The Missouri just past the confluence with the Yellowstone River
3. Cherry Creek near Watford City
4. The Little Missouri between Mandaree and Killdeer
5. The Knife River west of Buelah
6. The Heart River west of Bismarck

The DAPL protest was all politics, no substance.

ps: The last 2 are below the dam so they would have impacted the Rez just about as much as the Missouri/Cannonball crossing.

Last edited by a moderator:

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
You do know that when the protests began at the Missouri River near it's confluence with the Cannonball River that the DAPL had crossed the Missouri or it's tributaries a total of 6 times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/23/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protest-map.html

1. The Little Knife River near Stanley
2. The Missouri just past the confluence with the Yellowstone River
3. Cherry Creek near Watford City
4. The Little Missouri between Mandaree and Killdeer
5. The Knife River west of Buelah
6. The Heart River west of Bismarck

The DAPL protest was all politics, no substance.

ps: The last 2 are below the dam so they would have impacted the Rez just about as much as the Missouri/Cannonball crossing.

There were no spill models analyzed. They were not in the EA. There was no spill response plan. There was no operation plan. Tough to say how they would be impacted. Thats the point. Thanks for helping make it.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND doesn't have much to worry about compared to the rest of the US.

http://www.pipeline101.org/where-are-pipelines-located

- - - Updated - - -

I BELIEVE the only LEGAL way for Natives to catch Walleyes is hook and line only on Red Lake in MN. Read somewhere that pirating still happens but nowhere near the amount back when netting was allowed. Red Lake walleyes are still advertised pretty good around the Bemidji area it seems when we are in that neck of the woods so think some back channel pirating of these fillets happens. Red Lake Nation fishery has them on their website priced..so you know back channel deals are happening for other amounts.
Walleye 5lb Box - Fresh Frozen

$69.95

On a side note, there are times when I am on the water fishing that these prices seem reasonable..hahaha

So I went thru the purchasing process to see what the total cost of a 5# box of walleye fillets with skin on would be and it came to $100 with overnight FedEx shipping or $20 per pound. In 2007 and 2008 I went to Alaska and caught King salmon, ling cod, halibut and rock fish and came back with a 50# box of frozen fillets. Total cost of each trip was around $4k or $80 per pound. Seems like the walleye 10 years later from Red Lake is a better deal. Not that I'm particularly fond of eating frozen fish.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Taking a trip is a little different, walleye and king salmon are pretty similar wholesale price. I could kind of understand someone in a part of the country that has no walleye to buy it for $10 a pound or so but still at the end of the day there is a list of fish that aren't really all that different than walleye for super cheap. There's nothing that is a unique delicacy about walleye. That's why it just blows my mind that there is a poachers market for walleye even in areas where folks are surrounded by them.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing to worry about.

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/st...cle_81edb859-ccfb-5219-95ba-bb18859fcbf0.html

Is it even possible to clean this up if it is under the lake?

Sorry I cannot read the article because bismarcktribune will not let me read it without me cancelling my ad block extension. Ain't happening - but I did see that you used the word IF.

ps: I didn't say"nothing to worry about," you said that. I said "doesn't have much." I guess you cannot read or comprehend English.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toby

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
"Fact: Natives do this in Alaska for subsistence living but I highly doubt it is needed in the lower 48." Maybe I am wrong. Anyone got some insights on this besides speculations?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Fact: Natives do this in Alaska for subsistence living but I highly doubt it is needed in the lower 48." Maybe I am wrong. Anyone got some insights on this besides speculations?

I think it has been explained above that the native tribes commercial fishing was agreed to by the INDIAN NATIONS and the UNITED STATES NATION. States have NO jurisdiction in it!!! States may not even have jurisdiction on violations, but I admit that I do not know that.

I was under the impression that all Alaskan residents could do some form of subsistence hunting. Not sure if any license was required. Need some help here.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think anybody has a problem with fishing and hunting for personal subsistence, its when your netting hundreds of thousands or even millions of pounds of fish for the commercial market and watching a lake collapse that it becomes an issue.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
1833,you haven't a clue as to whats going on,reading documents ,pick and choose what you want but until your right in the mix from court battles to community meeting's its an issue that could be an issue for north dakota down the road...Clear water,spinny water fleas,zebs blah blah...Like I said earlier our lake didn't have an issue for 50yrs until 1999 with strick slots started and the netting.

Have you ever looked into the spawning walleye bio mass of lake mille lacs while mulling over said documents? Of course not,doesn't matter you don't live here,our folks in office have alot to lose if they don't back the natives here ($$$$) is what the dems understand.

So,to answer my question for you about spawning bio mass,survey in 2000 claimed we had 3.3million spawning walleyes ,by 2015 this # dropped to less than 1,5million,further we have 70% less sport fishing pressure because of the regs.So our sport fishing #'s allowed is BS as we have catch and release for the 3rd year.

Take lake erie for example,zebra mussels cleared the lake up 20 years ago,water fles,golbe fish and who know's what else lurks in that huge lake but it has over 50 million walleyes cruising its waters.

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
1833,you haven't a clue as to whats going on,reading documents ,pick and choose what you want but until your right in the mix from court battles to community meeting's its an issue that could be an issue for north dakota down the road...Clear water,spinny water fleas,zebs blah blah...Like I said earlier our lake didn't have an issue for 50yrs until 1999 with strick slots started and the netting.

Have you ever looked into the spawning walleye bio mass of lake mille lacs while mulling over said documents? Of course not,doesn't matter you don't live here,our folks in office have alot to lose if they don't back the natives here ($$$$) is what the dems understand.

So,to answer my question for you about spawning bio mass,survey in 2000 claimed we had 3.3million spawning walleyes ,by 2015 this # dropped to less than 1,5million,further we have 70% less sport fishing pressure because of the regs.So our sport fishing #'s allowed is BS as we have catch and release for the 3rd year.

Take lake erie for example,zebra mussels cleared the lake up 20 years ago,water fles,golbe fish and who know's what else lurks in that huge lake but it has over 50 million walleyes cruising its waters.

Your slot limits started in 1997. 5 years after the imposed slot limits, walleye within the slot was down over 40%. Walleye outside the slot was up 80% for lengths below the slot and 70% for lengths just above the slot. I might believe that small fish increased in population because they could slip through the nets but an increase in 20 inch fish is not possible if the nets are wiping out your fish population. Eventually, your big fish started eating little fish, leading to issues in 2013-2014. In the 1980s your bait fish population was very high but declined steadily well before slots or netting so something else happened; possibly due to the lake clearing up and bait fishing becoming easy prey. By 2001 it was virtually gone (only 12% of historic mean remained).

The amount of fish over 20 inches was over 30% of your estimated biomass. Leach and Winni were around 10%. You are your own worst enemy.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually we had slots that started in the early 90's with a (6) daily/possession limit,in 1999 the strict slots started because of the netting,dnr imposed a 14" to 16" keep slot that year as panic set in about gill netting.

Again.I'm curious how folks in north dakota would react to netting/spearing walleyes? if it should happen.

Cass,Winni,Leech,Red and LOW have all been affected by the netts over the years just like what we are seeing here and canadian lakes such as winnipeg,lac soule and many others.

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Actually we had slots that started in the early 90's with a (6) daily/possession limit,in 1999 the strict slots started because of the netting,dnr imposed a 14" to 16" keep slot that year as panic set in about gill netting.

Again.I'm curious how folks in north dakota would react to netting/spearing walleyes? if it should happen.

Cass,Winni,Leech,Red and LOW have all been affected by the netts over the years just like what we are seeing here and canadian lakes such as winnipeg,lac soule and many others.

Ironic. Your panic caused your fishery more harm than the actual netting.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The point is it’s 2018 times have changed, the past is the past. Should we all not be treated equally under the law? Then why are some getting special privileges? Reservations need to go. I thought we did away with segregation? Bull dust!

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
The point is it’s 2018 times have changed, the past is the past. Should we all not be treated equally under the law? Then why are some getting special privileges? Reservations need to go. I thought we did away with segregation? Bull dust!

Damn right. Lets end farm subsidies, medicare, and SS while we are at it. Damn special interest groups are a strain on our economy. I am tired of subsidizing baby boomers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep - reservations, just like housing projects, have proven to hurt the very people they were supposed to help/support

all one has to do is check out the abuse/violence/addiction rates on reservations before defending their existence/benefit

they're not working - sorry - they just aren't

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
yep - reservations, just like housing projects, have proven to hurt the very people they were supposed to help/support

all one has to do is check out the abuse/violence/addiction rates on reservations before defending their existence/benefit

they're not working - sorry - they just aren't

65% of rape cases reported on reservations are not prosecuted. In 86% of these cases, the assailant is non-indian. Oliphant v. Suquamish. You should read it. A little deductive reasoning will shed some light on the problems and possible improvements rather than the US reneging on a deal.

Non-indians want special protection in fear of unfair prosecution. Vice versa, there are laws protecting indians from unfair prosecution from the state. The same law that protect them from state prosecution from netting waters within their reservation boundaries.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
65% of rape cases reported on reservations are not prosecuted. In 86% of these cases, the assailant is non-indian. Oliphant v. Suquamish. You should read it. A little deductive reasoning will shed some light on the problems and possible improvements rather than the US reneging on a deal.

Non-indians want special protection in fear of unfair prosecution. Vice versa, there are laws protecting indians from unfair prosecution from the state. The same law that protect them from state prosecution from netting waters within their reservation boundaries.

um... like I said, not working

it seems natives need to fix their reservations - don't wait for non-natives to fix it

the non-natives don't appear to want to fix it - they just appear to want to rape your native women according to your stats

when are the native men going to put an end to that BS? I'd be working to change the stats if I was a native

- - - Updated - - -

sounds to me like natives ought to be enforcing the law on their reservations rather than going fishing

- - - Updated - - -

let me guess - possible improvements means additional funding?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88