ND g&f

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is pretty unfortunate. i called the MT game and fish office, BLM, multiple times for our antelope trip and they were always helpful. even called multiple times one day in regards to leaving "evidence of sex" on an antelope even though its a "either sex tag" and how we go about deboning it as the weather was gonna be warm. anyhow they were great each and every time we called. Blake ( guy that answered all my questions one day" even laughed as me and him became phones buddies one day.

isnt there BLM in this unit. the rules for BLM should be the same anywhere as its federal land. you can camp within 200 feet of an entrance and cannot be within 200 feet of a wetland. i have called and asked what a "excatly a wetland is" and the BLM office says it will be clearly marked.

- - - Updated - - -

state trust/school section lands have a 2 day overnight rule and then you need to re locate. do they enforce these rules i have no idea.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you call the blm like I brought up a month ago. the G&F doesn't control camping out here on most of the public ground. the regulations to camping pertaining to the tree types of public grounds out there can be easily found online. BLM land is open to camping on almost all of it and school land is closed and plots you end permission like any other privet land.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
This should really be something simple to figure out. Are you in a camper? A tent?

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most small lakes the G & F has an access easement only from the landowner for lake access only. You'll likely have to contact the landowner in order to camp at a boat ramp/access site.
I have asked the G & F the exact same question last fall. I spoke with Robert Timian.

Find some BLM or state land (WMA, school section etc ) and camp away

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you call the blm like I brought up a month ago. the G&F doesn't control camping out here on most of the public ground. the regulations to camping pertaining to the tree types of public grounds out there can be easily found online. BLM land is open to camping on almost all of it and school land is closed and plots you end permission like any other privet land.

^^This

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had no idea that G&F was also in charge of camping. I don't think they can be blamed for not providing that information. What disturbs me most is the inconsideration of a call not being returned. Very unprofessional in any line of work. As far as being harassed by a game warden, I've been hunting in this state for more than 50 years, have been checked 5 or 6 times. Had one experience where I thought the warden was out of line, the rest were very cordial encounters with no problems. I think during the season most wardens are pretty busy responding to calls and don't have much time to just check every hunter they see in the field.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Again don't camp on school land it's all closed to camping.

you 100% positive on that?

ND may be different but per my conversation in MT you can camp on state trust lands for a 2 night period.

- - - Updated - - -

yep dean is correct in ND you cannot camp on state school land
just a quick google search is all it took

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I looked it up because it's one I've never looked at before and they spelled it out very clearly. in all it took five minutes to see what types of public grounds in 4f and the camping rules for each.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Five minutes?...Did you take a research break for a snack?

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i know i can go on that BLM land but i was trying to go on the other side of the unit was the issue and had questions on certain areas that do not clearly list whether or not camping is available, but thanks for being a jack ass about it

- - - Updated - - -

and that still doesnt explain why they cant just get back to me and say A thats not our area but if you contact xxx they can help you, or no that is private ground you would need to contact a land owner, or literally anything at all i take the time to do all their damn surveys i seem to get every other day, but they cant take a minute to respond to me? maybe i should piss and whine more like a few of you guys do to the game and fish and they will respond to me more, seems you ask them a pretty straight fwd question and they cant get back but email them that you are butt hurt you didnt get a buck tag and they'll get right back to you...

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made a couple calls to G&F in the past with hunting questions and they always either answered the phone or got back to me right away. That's too bad you're having issues.

Is the campground in Bowman full? There are other smaller tracts of BLM land in the middle of the unit that are nice and accessible for camping.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
the "game and fish" is in charge of game and fish not camping.

good to know on state land. I've camped on state land many times. oops!

Actually I think a game warden came and talked to me at my camp on state land once. He didn't throw me in cuffs and put me in jail though.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
fair amount of construction going on in bowman right now with a new supermarket and healthcare center going in at the moment as well as a boat load of railroad repairs going on east of town so i would guess thw in town campsites are a bit busy

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're looking for a warden out there to contact...his name is Cox. He's checked me out there pheasant hunting multiple times and has always been professional...to me.
As far as where you can legally camp...I haven't looked into it but on 2nd weekend of pheasant season every single PLOTS area north of Scranton has out of staters fighting over who got there first with their camper. Unfortunately this year was extremely dry out that way and almost every PLOT has been hayed. I'd say find the nearest PLOT to where you are hunting and set up shop on the approach. Seems to work for pheasant hunters.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Whether people do it or not is another matter but, its illegal to camp on PLOTS without landowner permission.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had G&F not return my call. However, when I call at their most busy time of the year, it can take a while for them to get back to me. Most field staff are swamped with calls about violations etc. Someone asking questions they have the resources to answer themselves probably doesn't get top priority.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're looking for a warden out there to contact...his name is Cox. He's checked me out there pheasant hunting multiple times and has always been professional...to me.
As far as where you can legally camp...I haven't looked into it but on 2nd weekend of pheasant season every single PLOTS area north of Scranton has out of staters fighting over who got there first with their camper. Unfortunately this year was extremely dry out that way and almost every PLOT has been hayed. I'd say find the nearest PLOT to where you are hunting and set up shop on the approach. Seems to work for pheasant hunters.

ya thats the guy i called multiple times and got no response from!

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems strange to me that no one has tried to get back in touch with you. Every time I've reached out to someone at GNF it's usually been less then an hour or 2 before someone got back to me. Maybe they just don't like you? :;:

Seriously though that seems strange, maybe they got your return info wrong? Who knows.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46