Need a new auger. Ion or K-Drill?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a funny feeling that the clam adapter plate must end up costing you guys a few holes on each battery. which makes some sense i guess. mine hasn't even left the truck so it sits out in the cold all of the time and i know i've got 25 holes for sure out of it. this is devils lake. i haven't measured the ice yet. but, i am guessing its at least 24 inches.

That was my thought too. The gear box add on has 2:1 gear and double the torque. I had a clam plate without the gear box. Sold it off, I might be interested again if the gear box is legit. Otherwise, just more added weight to lug around.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a funny feeling that the clam adapter plate must end up costing you guys a few holes on each battery. which makes some sense i guess. mine hasn't even left the truck so it sits out in the cold all of the time and i know i've got 25 holes for sure out of it. this is devils lake. i haven't measured the ice yet. but, i am guessing its at least 24 inches.

You don't want to use the gear box with the kdrill. It is made to run around 550 rpm. I get more holes out of a battery now that I put the clam plate on. Mine is a direct drive.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes sir

with 1200 in/lb of torque on the latest Milwaukee drills you don't need a gear reduction robbing you of energy (use speed 1)

the clam plate - without a gear reduction - combined with a high torque drill is the way to go

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a Clam plate with a 20v Dewalt and a 6 inch Mora. That thing even worked pretty darn slick(except Moras always grab when punching through).

buzzard01

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do not buy an ion auger....I bragged mine up to be the best thing since my jiffy...on winter #2 and different story. I replaced the blades because of drilling where sand had blowin off the point onto the ice,replaced with new blades and first hole they broke..of coarse they were past the 90 day warranty because they were a spare backup set. ion did not want to cover them, didn't understand why I would carry 2 sets of blades and be past 90 day warranty. Now today my second battery took a shit after a year.. same story,why do I have and carry 2 batteries and be past warranty...The people at ion are not fisherman and understand about spares for when shit goes south...k-drill is my next because I know millwaukee stands behind there batteries from experience at work.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got the clam plate put on my kdrill and my hole count came up to about 15 on a 5amp. We have 32 to 34inches right now.

I'm struggling to see how you are able to punch more holes by adding the clam plate. Would it not take just a very small amount of additional energy to turn another bearing/shaft?

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I sold mine. Felt like I didn't need something more bulky and 5 more pounds.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a new Ion with reverse and one without. I have had zero problems and have drilled lots of holes. Everyone has there own opinion on what they have. And very few people will find fault in what they have unless they have a bad experience then they bad mouth them. I think both setups are good. Which ever one fits your need get it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like how the Clam plate bearing carries the load/strain of the auger - drill just provides torque

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm struggling to see how you are able to punch more holes by adding the clam plate. Would it not take just a very small amount of additional energy to turn another bearing/shaft?

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I sold mine. Felt like I didn't need something more bulky and 5 more pounds.

It probably does take a little more to turn but it also take unnecessary torque off the drill.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an ION and I would get the K-drill. Cheaper batteries and you can use the drill for other things. My ION works great, but if you can multi task a piece of equipment, IMO, that's the better option.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an ION and I would get the K-drill. Cheaper batteries and you can use the drill for other things. My ION works great, but if you can multi task a piece of equipment, IMO, that's the better option.

Dont you have fish to clean?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, I just threw'em in the back of your truck before I left. (Grin)

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where can i find the non gear box adapter plate?

Nevermind. Found one.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazon I got mine from gander mtn I think fleet farm has them also. You will need the clam plate to kdrill adapter also.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0652.jpg
Quick google search and fleet has them.

- - - Updated - - -

Just seen that it's temporarily out of stock online.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88