Need a new auger. Ion or K-Drill?

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
After last weekend I'm in the market for a new ice auger. I've been down the propane road and don't want to go back. I still have a gas strikemaster but want something electric for in the big house. What's everyone's opinion?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both. K-Drill. Better blades (durable in all conditions), lighter, and a multi-use drill with cheaper batteries (when need to carry multiple).

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
K-drill. Because you can build a birdhouse in the summer with the drill. I went with the 8" knowing I wouldn't get the holes per battery that the 6" would get, but a 6" can limit you. IMO the drills are only going to get better and better. I loath the day when I can Swiss cheese a lake with a 10" k-drill on 30" of ice with only one battery.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Love my ION but don't have a K-drill to compare against. If you don't have a 1/2 inch drill you will need to add that to the cost of the K-drill. If possible it would be nice to find someone who has both so you could try them and make your own decision. I bought my ION before the K-drill came out, or at least before I had heard of them. Another positive of the K-drill is that you do have the drill if you need one of that size. For me, I use 3/8 drills and drivers frequently, rarely have use of a 1/2 in. drill.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used both now and like each but my purchase WILL BE a K-Drill next year, even if I need to upgrade the drill.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat, going to sell my pro4 after having to replace the carb only 2 months out of warranty. The kind people at jiffy gave me a polite 'pound sand' so I will never buy any more of their products. I have friends with both kdrill and ions and I like the k drill a lot more. Seems to cut faster and I like having multi purposes for it

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i still haven't had to switch out my 5.0 AH battery for my 8 inch K-drill and i've been using it about 2 weeks now. probably about 30 holes. BUT... the part on the drill where the handle connects to the drill is made of that pot metal shit and mine broke on the drill. i've since learned to do a few things differently so as not to stress that handle and the drill as much. but, it sucks it happened. now i need to mail it in to get it replaced when i think i have time to live without it... probably after the season. the dude at ACE hardware says its the 3rd time in the last month he has heard of this happening. its a bad design how they have the handle connect to the drill. should be a band thingy like they have been in the past.

couple of tricks... clear your hole of the extra shavings before you go through the ice all the way. water and shavings from 24 to 30 inches of hole with my 8 inch puts a lot of stress/torque on the handle/drill. also, if you find yourself with a hole full of ice and water, just pull it straight out and up rather than try to drill it out in FWD or Reverse.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are making me want to get a K-drill, its on sale at reeds for $220 is that a good price?

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
i still haven't had to switch out my 5.0 AH battery for my 8 inch K-drill and i've been using it about 2 weeks now. probably about 30 holes. BUT... the part on the drill where the handle connects to the drill is made of that pot metal shit and mine broke on the drill. i've since learned to do a few things differently so as not to stress that handle and the drill as much. but, it sucks it happened. now i need to mail it in to get it replaced when i think i have time to live without it... probably after the season. the dude at ACE hardware says its the 3rd time in the last month he has heard of this happening. its a bad design how they have the handle connect to the drill. should be a band thingy like they have been in the past.

couple of tricks... clear your hole of the extra shavings before you go through the ice all the way. water and shavings from 24 to 30 inches of hole with my 8 inch puts a lot of stress/torque on the handle/drill. also, if you find yourself with a hole full of ice and water, just pull it straight out and up rather than try to drill it out in FWD or Reverse.

PMsent

Brian Halse

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm only getting 15 holes per battery in 24-26 inches of ice with my 8 in K-drill. I do have the clam adapter. Takes four 5.0 batteries if I am looking for perch or crappies and I put them in the cab after each use to try and keep them warm. Should probably go to the 6 inch for this. You definitely want to clear shavings before you hit water when drilling, it will get very hard to pull back up.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got the clam plate put on my kdrill and my hole count came up to about 15 on a 5amp. We have 32 to 34inches right now.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My gas auger hasn't left the garage. My kdrill is faster and half the weight of the gas auger.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two seasons of nothing but Kdrill. Punched a bunch of holes Sunday through 32-34 inches no problems

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a funny feeling that the clam adapter plate must end up costing you guys a few holes on each battery. which makes some sense i guess. mine hasn't even left the truck so it sits out in the cold all of the time and i know i've got 25 holes for sure out of it. this is devils lake. i haven't measured the ice yet. but, i am guessing its at least 24 inches.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88