New: Eskimo EVO Crossover Shelters

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry guy, was just funning ya, I of course don't even know the guys in the video, so I wasn't trying to stick it to them either. Not sure what this FM walleyes club is, but sound like some good fella's so if they see this thread, sorry to them guys too.

No harm meant to you or them, just my poor sense of humor shining bright yesterday

Sometimes the life of a critic is a difficult one...haha

I take back my over the top criticism, and in all honesty I actually own a eskimo hub house and love it.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Extreme-Ice-Arctic-Angler-Shelter/product/1407010616391/

This is the first shelter I got and still think it is the best. I bought it when it was made by AP outdoors and if I heard correctly they were bought out by Rapala along with a knife they made and Rapala put their name on the knife and dumped the shelter on Bass Pro. Bass pro picked it up and sold out right away and it took them awhile to reload. On the 4th season the poles on mine got brittle and cracked, I tried to replace them but with all the selling and buying going on ni dice. I thought it was lost and now it covers my 4-wheeler. I was really bummed it was shot. I bought the clam bigfoot xl2000 to replace it. I like the clam as well it's bigger, the bag is oversized. I hate when a product comes in a case that you need to perform surgery just to get it back in there. Anyone that has an electric rapala knife knows what I'm talking about. The insulation in the Extreme Ice is so much better, it's much lighter, for those that walk a bit it's great, saves a lot of room in the sled when you can carry it like a backpack. With one guy and the Mr. Heater buddy low is plenty, at 10 degrees plus wind isn't much of a big deal. I'm 6'5" and we have fished two dudes pretty well in there. The clam doesn't handle the cold or the wind nearly as well. Again the larger clam though is great but I might buy another Extreme ice just to have one before they disappear again. I REALLY hope they are still made the same way as they were when they were sold by AP outdoors. For $200 it's a heck of a deal.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
117jpgw480h480fitclip-1.jpg

It only fun and games until someone get thrown under dah bus

- - - Updated - - -

:;:cheers:;:cheers:;:cheers:;:cheers:;:cheers:;:cheers:;:cheers:;:sorryThumbs Up:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:cool:;)
Sorry guy, was just funning ya, I of course don't even know the guys in the video, so I wasn't trying to stick it to them either. Not sure what this FM walleyes club is, but sound like some good fella's so if they see this thread, sorry to them guys too.

No harm meant to you or them, just my poor sense of humor shining bright yesterday

Sometimes the life of a critic is a difficult one...haha

I take back my over the top criticism, and in all honesty I actually own a eskimo hub house and love it.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nifty concept. I have a clam Jason Mitchell hub I rarely use and a clam flip over. I could see me selling my hub and trying one of these. Insulated version of coarse

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never buy Jason Mitchell gear because it is all dumb.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
time for guy to eat crow on the "pre-production model" excuse for why no setup video... a setup video WAS made - the same day on the same lake by the looks of this video! :;:huh

a major model weakness for me is the inability to make moves to new spots by just tilting back the canopy (like moving 100yds with a true flip-up)

when my Otter sled/Canvascaft combo is hooked onto my sled it's easy to "semi-scout" without full breakdown of the canopy. doesn't look possible with this system.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
time for guy to eat crow on the "pre-production model" excuse for why no setup video... a setup video WAS made - the same day on the same lake by the looks of this video! :;:huh

a major model weakness for me is the inability to make moves to new spots by just tilting back the canopy (like moving 100yds with a true flip-up)

when my Otter sled/Canvascaft combo is hooked onto my sled it's easy to "semi-scout" without full breakdown of the canopy. doesn't look possible with this system.

thats the first thing I thought of too. Interesting concept though. Do the eskimo anchors suck balls as badly as the clam anchors do???

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the market for a new shelter too. I wanted to downsize from my x2 since the damn thing is so heavy.

Is your X2 the fully insulated one with the grey tub??? I may be in the market for one of those.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
eskimo anchors are decent - pointy sharp - and have a "self-tapping" style grooved tip. Sort of like how a threading tap has the four machined out grooves that do the cutting of the threads - except just one on the eskimo anchor.

I think I might make one of these for this season

icefishing003_12092010215617-1.jpg

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a clam hub which I like except for the anchors. If I dont bring the drill with, I cant get them in. Just one more thing to remember to bring and worry about the battery being charged. an old fashioned hand drill like that to make pilot holes would probably work fine.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How often do you guys set up your house during the season. I personally only set mine up if the spot is producing, and its colder than I can handle. I probably put my house up 3-5 times a season, otherwise just sit on the ranger, drill a couple holes, jig for 20 minutes and move, unless we are catching then we might make a day of that spot, but still only set up the house if its nipply.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How often do you guys set up your house during the season. I personally only set mine up if the spot is producing, and its colder than I can handle. I probably put my house up 3-5 times a season, otherwise just sit on the ranger, drill a couple holes, jig for 20 minutes and move, unless we are catching then we might make a day of that spot, but still only set up the house if its nipply.

well, you live in the banana belt so...

you must not have a flip-up, because it's so quick and easy there's not too much reason not to use it. All your gear is normally "in there" anyway.

also - you do realize you are a 1%er with your fancy shmancy Ranger?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well, you live in the banana belt so...

you must not have a flip-up, because it's so quick and easy there's not too much reason not to use it. All your gear is normally "in there" anyway.

also - you do realize you are a 1%er with your fancy shmancy Ranger?

True, it seems to be a bit warmer here, but of course I am big and tough...haha

My house is the hub style, so if we put mine up its to use for the day. Most guys I fish with have the flippers, and we still rarely sit in them as I have homophobia...haha. Just doesn't seem necessary as a chair and flasher can move from hole to hole quicker, and the Ice cold Busch lights stay ice cold..

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

Its friday i will be nice haha.

- - - Updated - - -

That crossover setup looks like it might be too time consuming. Cant wait to look at it in person. I need a lightweight two man flip over. I fish by myself most of the time and like to run two holes if i set up.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer to never get in the shelter either - but icing up holes and line is what drives us in

agree - in popups sitting "right next to your buddy" is less than ideal and two lines each is pretty impossible

this is where this hybrid might shine - two guys but enough space for a realistic 4 lines

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be nice to be able to drill the sled down and tarp though.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to use the shelter, not always for the cold, but to to keep pirates guessing and not tip them off to a hot bite if I am on one...

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly. I even drill a half hole to stick fish in so the sconis dont hear them in the bucket.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88