New Knee

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My knee has been bothering me for some time. I had it looked at two months ago. I have no cartilage, bone spurs, and tendonitis. I've been doing physical therapy for six weeks and have made some big improvements (tendonitis is gone). My knee will be scanned ina few weeks to see what's really going on. I'm guessing I'll get a new knee this winter. Do any of you suggest a surgeon?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a conversation with a good friend about this a few .months ago. He said go to mayo in Mesa. They accept most insurance, you stay a coup!e weeks in a warm place before going home, and care is the top notch.

ND surgeons do a couple knees a month, mesa surgeons a couple a week.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My knee has been bothering me for some time. I had it looked at two months ago. I have no cartilage, bone spurs, and tendonitis. I've been doing physical therapy for six weeks and have made some big improvements (tendonitis is gone). My knee will be scanned ina few weeks to see what's really going on. I'm guessing I'll get a new knee this winter. Do any of you suggest a surgeon?
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 44 and my knees can be so painful that I make all the "dad noises" when I have to kneel down and get back up. I should really get it checked out.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a conversation with a good friend about this a few .months ago. He said go to mayo in Mesa. They accept most insurance, you stay a coup!e weeks in a warm place before going home, and care is the top notch.

You have no idea what your talk about.

The day he did my Wife's total knee replacement, he was doing 6 that day.
Dr. Matthys

Board-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon. Since launching his own practice in 2007, Dr Matthys has performed thousands of successful orthopaedic surgeries

Attachments

1684146356455.png

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bismarck Bone & Joint Center - Dr. Bopp. My wife had her left knee replaced 3 years ago - not a single issue, she works out 6 days a week - Dr. Bopp and his team were amazing!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Dr. Matthys

Board-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon. Since launching his own practice in 2007, Dr Matthys has performed thousands of successful orthopaedic surgeries
Matthy did my hip replacement and they had me up and walking by the time the happy juice wore off. Stayed at a local motel that night and after meeting with him the next morning went home. Never had a problem after that. Did the exercises and phy therapy and was just fine, Took little to no pain meds. Highly recommend him, just do as your told. LB

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Dr. Matthys

Unfortunately I do. Not talking anything away from local surgeons. My point was when you live in an area with an elevated age group you do more orthopedic work, and the more you do, the better you get. I've worked in healthcare for over 30 years, ND is not a magnet for great surgeons.

Those 6 he did that day were likely the only six he did that week.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 44 and my knees can be so painful that I make all the "dad noises" when I have to kneel down and get back up. I should really get it checked out.
I'm 40. I've needed to lighten the chassis for some time.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
O'Regan at Sanford did both of mine. Very little pain after surgery. I took advantage of physical therapy to the max. Painted my house off ladders three months later. I can kneel on pretty much everything without pain.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck Bone & Joint Center - Dr. Bopp. My wife had her left knee replaced 3 years ago - not a single issue, she works out 6 days a week - Dr. Bopp and his team were amazing!
Second Dr. Bopp. He did both my knees (2012 and 2015) and my left hip last march. Literally changed my life, especially the knees. Walked without help within hours after my hip surgery and went home the same day. Was walking without pain for the first time in over 50 years within hours after the knee surgeries. Pain level from 1-10 these days is ZERO! Not everyone has as good of outcomes as I did but as I said my surgeries changed my life and I'm 71. Surgery procedures have changed drastically in the last 10 years. I spent 3 days in the hospital in 2012 but by 2015 things had changed so much they sent me home the next day and I never used a walker or crutches from day one at home. Was off pain meds almost completely by day 3 every time and only used them once in a while before going to bed if I really over did things during the day. Good luck.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dr. Chad Carlson did 1 of mine last year at Bone & Joint in Bismarck also. Would have him do the other one if needed but already had that one done 5 years ago. Biggest thing is to do the therapy, or it won't be good. If you do the therapy, you'll be glad you did it. Good Luck

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dr. Chad Carlson did 1 of mine last year at Bone & Joint in Bismarck also. Would have him do the other one if needed but already had that one done 5 years ago. Biggest thing is to do the therapy, or it won't be good. If you do the therapy, you'll be glad you did it. Good Luck
Agree with above comments. I have good knees so far, knock on wood. but my wife had both of hers replaced at Bone & Joint by Carlson with great results. Agree that therapy, pre-op and post-op, is most important to good results.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member

That would be Mayo Hospital and clinic in Phoenix.
Mayo also has a clinic in Scottsdale.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be Mayo Hospital and clinic in Phoenix.
Mayo also has a clinic in Scottsdale.
Dang BBJ,im on the fence myself,young indestructible young age finally caught up to me in my old age, when the time comes im pretty sure ill vacation in Vail Colorado, world class ski area has world class orthopedic surgeons, ugh,i sweat just thinking about it...oh and hot females from aound the world to eyeball as one recovers.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it's just I'm paying more attention as I get older, but knee and hip replacements are pretty darn common nowadays. Shoulders are getting there as well.

And while I am sure there are horror stories, all I know who have had them done here in ND have been successful.

However, they aren't doing thumb joint replacements that I know of. I went to the Bone and Joint clinic almost two years ago now to have them take a look at my thumb. Yep, it's bone on bone and can be quite painful with the right triggering move. Anyway, the solution offered was to go in and remove the offending bone segment, and then tie everything together using fishing line. I said, umm...yeah, not happening. Doc just looked at me and said "then you aren't there yet". I take that to mean it's just going to get worse until such time as I am "there".

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen the Dr told me my thumb will soon need the attention you describe. I went in and had surgery on the middle finger of the right hand, and got the bad news about the thumb. I didn't know of he had a sense of humor so as he taped it all up I didn't ask him how long I would have the driving disability.😇
I didnt know they did finger joint replacement, but now he says I need that. The track for the tendon is worn out and the tendon slips to the right side of the finger. It snaps and feels like an electric shock.
To many 310 gr 44mag pushed to the limits maybe.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84