New Knee

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had occasions of gout since I was 40 or so. Currently it’s very rare that I get a flare - but I’m always just one horrifying night away from a reoccurrence.

Anyway, I’ve had a number of young jackholes, who used to laugh at me for having an old geezer disease, contract gout and complain about it to me.

It almost brings a tear to my eye that karma is so brutal.

Almost 😅

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen the Dr told me my thumb will soon need the attention you describe. I went in and had surgery on the middle finger of the right hand, and got the bad news about the thumb. I didn't know of he had a sense of humor so as he taped it all up I didn't ask him how long I would have the driving disability.😇
I didnt know they did finger joint replacement, but now he says I need that. The track for the tendon is worn out and the tendon slips to the right side of the finger. It snaps and feels like an electric shock.
To many 310 gr 44mag pushed to the limits maybe.
Hmmmm PG,wore out your middle finger on shitty drivers eh? Lol

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had occasions of gout since I was 40 or so. Currently it’s very rare that I get a flare - but I’m always just one horrifying night away from a reoccurrence.

Anyway, I’ve had a number of young jackholes, who used to laugh at me for having an old geezer disease, contract gout and complain about it to me.

It almost brings a tear to my eye that karma is so brutal.

Almost 😅
a coworker years back was in his late 30's, gout would get him too. It was mostly because he drank a lot, and then a lot more.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My knees were so bad this winter that I couldn't kneel down and get back up without significant pain. Now that it's warmed up the pain is almost unnoticeable. Anyone else experience the "cold" affect? Is it real and does it point to a specific issue?

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 47 "8 years ago" I was told I needed shoulder replacement, but the Dr. at bone and joint said to hold off as long as I could since they only last about 10-12 years before needing to be replaced again. So they gave me my first ever cortisone shot, my God after living in daily pain 4-8 out of 10 for 20 years I wish I had went in years ago! Archery "shooting almost daily my adult life and pulling more weight than I needed to" had did a number on my right shoulder..bad.
But my first shot lasted 2 years before I had a single all day flare up. Now they last about a year, just got mine today actually. My question is, do these knee replacements last longer than a shoulder? Reason being I can't do allot of things I used to do, archery is out of the question. Pitching jigs and jig raps is darn tough as well. Anything overhead is a job for my left arm.
Do I wait another 5-10 years or do I just say heck with it and go and get it done?
Cat, cold snaps used to kick my ass! Was extremely hard to even get me pants on on those days.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 47 "8 years ago" I was told I needed shoulder replacement, but the Dr. at bone and joint said to hold off as long as I could since they only last about 10-12 years before needing to be replaced again. So they gave me my first ever cortisone shot, my God after living in daily pain 4-8 out of 10 for 20 years I wish I had went in years ago! Archery "shooting almost daily my adult life and pulling more weight than I needed to" had did a number on my right shoulder..bad.
But my first shot lasted 2 years before I had a single all day flare up. Now they last about a year, just got mine today actually. My question is, do these knee replacements last longer than a shoulder? Reason being I can't do allot of things I used to do, archery is out of the question. Pitching jigs and jig raps is darn tough as well. Anything overhead is a job for my left arm.
Do I wait another 5-10 years or do I just say heck with it and go and get it done?
Cat, cold snaps used to kick my ass! Was extremely hard to even get me pants on on those days.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My knees were so bad this winter that I couldn't kneel down and get back up without significant pain. Now that it's warmed up the pain is almost unnoticeable. Anyone else experience the "cold" affect? Is it real and does it point to a specific issue?
I have had my knees for three years now. The fall before deer hunting was very painful. One day I parked my pickup and headed for a valley I thought should hold a buck. The walk was painful, and when I came to the fence I couldn't get over it. I didn't dare roll under because I may not be able to get up. With bad knees and bad shoulders getting up is a major accomplishment especially in knee deep snow. I turned and headed back to the truck, and into the wind. Now the knees are getting not only painful, but stiff and will not bend. It's hard to walk stiff legged in deep snow. Even though my pickup was only 300 yards I was wondering if I was going to make it.
When Christmas rolled around I was in the hospital on pain killers. They asked if I wanted to try fentynol, buy I turned that down. The knees were so painful that the doctor ordered an mri to check for bone cancer. I couldn't get surgery for months because I had a blood clot behind the left knee. Life is short so do the surgery and enjoy being pain free. Well as soon as I get my shoulders done again.

Last edited:

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
My question is, do these knee replacements last longer than a shoulder?
the new knee replacements are meant to be 15-25 years depending on how active a person is. But if you wear it out it is not like the older replacements where they had to cut extra bone away and stuff. There is a pad in there they just pop out and put a new one in. a minor surgery compared to the initial replacement and no bone cutting or removal. Still a surgery but not as invasive

Founding Member
Founding Member
the new knee replacements are meant to be 15-25 years depending on how active a person is. But if you wear it out it is not like the older replacements where they had to cut extra bone away and stuff. There is a pad in there they just pop out and put a new one in. a minor surgery compared to the initial replacement and no bone cutting or removal. Still a surgery but not as invasive
Thats amazing! I had just talked to a buddy, said when he came to after the surgery he had to go to the bathroom. They said well lets get you up, in less than an hour he walked to his car..crazy!

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a conversation with a good friend about this a few .months ago. He said go to mayo in Mesa. They accept most insurance, you stay a coup!e weeks in a warm place before going home, and care is the top notch.

ND surgeons do a couple knees a month, mesa surgeons a couple a week.
Dumbest thing you'll read on internet today....

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They doin back replacements yet? My L1 thru L5 is shot. Went fishing Sunday still can barely walk today. Good times.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my first hip replacement in 2000. Last year I had a check up. I inquired about a further replacement. She said not to worry. They are much better than they used to be. The key is being careful for a while.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Mom had both knees done at Bone and Joint Center by Dr. Bopp. Dad has had one knee done and needs the other done. Both had great luck with little pain. They do something now where you get a shot 6 weeks before surgery to deaden a nerve I believe that really helps the pain when you have the actual surgery. Dad also had a shoulder reversal due to a pretty bad rotator cuff tear that a Dr. Joshi out in Williston fucked up the repair so Dr. Pierce at Bone and Joint Center did a reversal on him. Took all his pain away and gave him his strength and some mobility back. He couldn't even reach out and lift a coffee cup before and now after he is way better.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dumbest thing you'll read on internet today....
Would you take your expensive boat to be worked on by an average mechanic? Would you allow an average surgeon operate on your child? Medical knowledge aside, surgeon are people who work with their hands and what they do takes frequent performance, experience, dexterity and skill....no different than a good carpenter.

Obviously you interpret the credentials (MD, DOS) after a surgeons name to indicate they are good at what they do. Mayo isn't successful because of their name. Like they say, you don't know what you don't know.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They doin back replacements yet? My L1 thru L5 is shot. Went fishing Sunday still can barely walk today. Good times.

A few years ago a surgeon gave me the option to do L4-L5 fusion or a fusion from L3 to L5. He was confident that L4-L5 was the source of the nerve pain but based on the MRI reading, he said theres a big chance that L3-L4 would give me trouble down the road.

I thought I was too young for the full fusion, I was missing golf and a lot of other things that I used to enjoy so I opted for L4-L5 fusion thinking it was the least invasive and not as much loss of range of motion so I could go golfing again, even knowing that I'd probably need another surgery in the future.

In hindsight , I should have went with the full fusion because a year after surgery it still hurt when I tried golfing and It freaked me out that I could feel the rods or screws in my back immediately after I swung a club. I wasn't about to wreck it again over a game so I quit golfing. Like the old saying goes, If I would have known I'd live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84