New State record

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol Volk states that there is no wound in the back of his state record walleye as well as video shot by his wife showing the fish being caught I have much respect for volk for letting it go and no trying to pursue the record catch. In the court of law physical evidence should trump any eye witness account but i think the game and fish basically caved in to public opinion about the legality of the catch again Volk if you are reading this I believe you.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here’s how I think it went down:

Even if they didn't have clear video evidence, they talk to his deputy buddy who was a witness. "We have video of the fish being caught. You made a sworn statement that it was mouth hooked. If you're lying to us, you can't serve as a credible witness when you arrest someone, which will get prior, current, and future criminal cases that you’ve been involved in thrown out. Your law enforcement career will be over. You're sure it wasn't snagged?"

So now the deputy, afraid he’s going to lose his livelihood convinces himself maybe he didn’t really see what he saw when he netted snagzilla and “retracts” his original statement. So now all we have is hearsay and witnesses who say “it looked snagged.” Trying to salvage their credibility, G&F says, “the old record stands” because they don’t want decades of speculation and a tainted record. However, they don’t have evidence to charge the guy with keeping an illegally taken walleye, which is the only reason why they couldn’t confiscate it.

This truly is bullshit. I think he should keep the fish AND the record unless they have enough to prove in court that it was illegally taken.

By the G&F actions we again have a tainted record.

Leier 15 lb 13 Oz. 2018 ND state Walleye *

* A 16 lbs 9 oz walleye was caught by Volk in 2019 but since the G&F couldn't verify it was legally taken they did not recognize it as the state record. They did not charge Volk but only gave him a warning and let him keep the fish because they could not prove it was illegally taken. *

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Where are all his supporters now? Hey Dean... you there???

This is is very disappointing no matter how you look at it. I stand by my earlier comments at the time I made them. My philosophy of always trying to look at the best of the situation and trusting people until proven wrong is getting more and more difficult.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is bullshit. I lose confidence in our GNF more every day. They can't handle the simplest shit without fucking it up. If they have no physical or video evidence to issue a citation then the record should stand. They fucking bowed to a bunch of whiners and shit talkers. What a joke!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Records mean little to snagzilla as he was meant to live in infamy from its days as a fingerling

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like a bunch of jealous anglers out there that don’t want this guy to have his glory. I don’t know how the fish could be hooked in the top of the back with a jig. It would be hooked in the lower part of the body and would leave a noticeable hole. If his fish can be examined they should know easily if there is a snag wound. If there is no wound then the record should stand. I feel like if you can’t charge him then the record should stand.

He does have his own video so that should help.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is why I eat all the big fish I catch, immediately... really pisses the wife off as filleting the pillow makes a freaking mess

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he is so innocent why did he lawyer up and not let Game and Fish see the fish during investigation??

Did he really? I haven’t heard that anywhere.

Edit to add: G&F likes to confiscate first and ask questions later. They did it to my aunt and uncle recently. Aunt had a tag and shot a moose. Someone on Facebook cracked a joke about my uncle shooting it (he didn’t). Somehow the warden caught wind (maybe spending the winter looking for leads online?) and starts interrogating the neighbors, the guys at the meat locker, and then goes to the taxidermist and confiscates the head. The only reason the family found out was phone calls from the locker and taxidermist.

Good luck contacting my uncle to ask him any questions about who shot the moose, he’s dead now. So now they can parade around my aunt’s moose like they caught a poacher, never having questioned my aunt or uncle or charging anyone with a crime. My widowed aunt sure as hell isn't in any condition to lawyer up and pick a legal fight with the state.

I was such an apologist for G&F for so many years but the shit’s gotten too deep.

Last edited:

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I'll be fishing the heart and keeping my snagged fish next year as they only give out warnings and let you keep the fish.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lol Volk states that there is no wound in the back of his state record walleye as well as video shot by his wife showing the fish being caught I have much respect for volk for letting it go and no trying to pursue the record catch. In the court of law physical evidence should trump any eye witness account but i think the game and fish basically caved in to public opinion about the legality of the catch again Volk if you are reading this I believe you.
It says in the Tribune article that he going to appeal the decision

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the G&F actions we again have a tainted record.

Leier 15 lb 13 Oz. 2018 ND state Walleye *

* A 16 lbs 9 oz walleye was caught by Volk in 2019 but since the G&F couldn't verify it was legally taken they did not recognize it as the state record. They did not charge Volk but only gave him a warning and let him keep the fish because they could not prove it was illegally taken. *
I was fairly skeptical, heck I bet there was even a part of me that wanted this fish to be snagged because someone else's controversy is more entertaining. That right there though is telling. If they first recognized the record how in the hell can they change their mind with no proof? Whats next?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

Edit to add: G&F likes to confiscate first and ask questions later. They did it to my aunt and uncle recently. Aunt had a tag and shot a moose. Someone on Facebook cracked a joke about my uncle shooting it (he didn’t). Somehow the warden caught wind (maybe spending the winter looking for leads online?) and starts interrogating the neighbors, the guys at the meat locker, and then goes to the taxidermist and confiscates the head. The only reason the family found out was phone calls from the locker and taxidermist.

Good luck contacting my uncle to ask him any questions about who shot the moose, he’s dead now. So now they can parade around my aunt’s moose like they caught a poacher, never having questioned my aunt or uncle or charging anyone with a crime. My widowed aunt sure as hell isn't in any condition to lawyer up and pick a legal fight with the state.

I was such an apologist for G&F for so many years but the shit’s gotten too deep.
Sounds like a perfect time to try out the new law on asset forfeiture we just got.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member

That’s a direct violation of your aunt’s 4th amendment rights, and a big reason why I have never been a supporter of G&F. It is ridiculous that you basically give up your rights when you hunt and fish. I’ve been check by wardens in ND just 3 times in my life and never had a ticket. But searching vehicles,coolers, peoples houses and shops and seizing things without warrants is something I will NEVER support. I hope your aunt gets her moose back and the loser that stole it loses his job.

Founding Member
Founding Member
#$%^&>::thinking::

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is crazy. Ha

i want to believe he caught it in the mouth. The sad part for him he actually doesn’t know. He didn’t see it go into the net.

Just seems weird the guy would stop half way and take the hook out of the fishes back. BUT one explanation for that would be to keep the slack line from making a mess. He had to walk a long way back to the fisherman.

It’s obvious from that video these guys are very familiar with fishing and knew they had a potential state record.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 250
  • This month: 212
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66