New State record

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
so did the guy that caught it post that video? looks like his name as the poster of it? if so curious as to how that would help him in any way?

Also did he not turn the fish back over to the gnf for further investigation after the fact and is that why they pulled the record?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time believing your gonna to bring a fish in that size in that current sideways with a jig without having major evidence to the hooked area. I saw nothing in those pics to indicate a body hook. Has anybody tried to remove a hook from a fish’s side? It’s a bitch.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time believing your gonna to bring a fish in that size in that current sideways with a jig without having major evidence to the hooked area. I saw nothing in those pics to indicate a body hook. Has anybody tried to remove a hook from a fish’s side? It’s a bitch.

Yea I think there is a lot more to the story here and I don't think the GNF wants to lay it all out there. As far as bringing in a snagged fish he really didn't have to haul it in it just went downstream and it was steered towards the edge. I can't tell if there was a jig in that fishes back but it looked like he popped something out of there. Kinda like what Phill said i wonder if he did turn it back over and if he did what did it look like after being in the freezer? If he didn't and everyone just kept their mouth shut that also could have led to the reversed record but no charges situation. Wonder if we'll ever get an explanation.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

The way it looks, he didn’t pull it much up current. His xtreme net man was WAY downstream and got it on the way down. Amazing what a guy can pull in hooked on the base of a fin.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not much effort put into that so called hook removal if that is what he was doing.

I would like to applaud the guy who took the amazing video, not sure how he kept his camera focused on the prize with all the excitement going on around him

Last edited:

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like a bunch of jealous anglers out there that don’t want this guy to have his glory. I don’t know how the fish could be hooked in the top of the back with a jig. It would be hooked in the lower part of the body and would leave a noticeable hole. If his fish can be examined they should know easily if there is a snag wound. If there is no wound then the record should stand. I feel like if you can’t charge him then the record should stand.

He does have his own video so that should help.

Not disagreeing completely but, Ive snagged many of fish (on accident of course:)) while fishing for steelhead and salmon on Lake Michigan tributaries and most often the hook had to be lodged on the side of the gill plate, dorsal fin or pectoral fin area where the hook can firmly hold while bringing in a fish sideways-upstream. Not too mention fishing with 8# test line, almost had to have a guy downstream to net the fish. On most occasions tail/fin hooked fish, there would be minimal evidence of a scar or tear. However, if snagged on the side of the body or underbelly it would definitely leave a noticeable mark.

Last edited:

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member

…except the jig being ripped out of it's BACK??? I didn't see any OTHER evidence to show that it may or may not have been body hooked because the quality looks like it was filmed with a potato. That thing laid in the net like it was dead though when you finally see it come close to the camera. It wasn't thrashing around at that time to appear that it would re-hook itself in the back. I think the NDGF made the right call, however I think it should have been confiscated if they felt they had enough information to consider it foul hooked. I also hope and would assume that the NDGF had the clearer video. No cell phone camera these days take that shitty of video. It had to be compressed for the internet or Facebook.

I do remember snagging paddlefish on the Yellowstone and at the Confluence. The gaff/net guy always had to go downstream to get the body hooked ones as well. However, I did snag a 67 lber in the face and pulled it in to where I was standing.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
…except the jig being ripped out of it's BACK??? I didn't see any OTHER evidence to show that it may or may not have been body hooked because the quality looks like it was filmed with a potato. That thing laid in the net like it was dead though when you finally see it come close to the camera. It wasn't thrashing around at that time to appear that it would re-hook itself in the back. I think the NDGF made the right call, however I think it should have been confiscated if they felt they had enough information to consider it foul hooked. I also hope and would assume that the NDGF had the clearer video. No cell phone camera these days take that shitty of video. It had to be compressed for the internet or Facebook.

I do remember snagging paddlefish on the Yellowstone and at the Confluence. The gaff/net guy always had to go downstream to get the body hooked ones as well. However, I did snag a 67 lber in the face and pulled it in to where I was standing.

Are you insinuating the fish was dead when netted? That would put a whole new twist on the story

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
D6A618FF-C3CF-4B0F-BA95-1645DAB64331.jpg
One barb of a rippin rap in a pelvic fin, in current, 10 lb braid with a gnarly wind knot about 6 ft from the lure.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you insinuating the fish was dead when netted? That would put a whole new twist on the story

Absolutely not insinuating it was dead... I am saying it wasn't thrashing around in that short clip that we see it in the net, to indicate that it re-hooked itself in the back.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing the original non-potato video was made available to investigators

- - - Updated - - -

I have caught/released a lot of very big carp from shore - hooked in top fins

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
The video that has been circulated that we are all seeing is one that was uploaded to Facebook. Facebook video uploads suck donkey balls with how bad the video quality is degraded. I'd bet a week's pay that the original video is of much higher quality. When I first saw the video I messaged the original poster of the video asking him to upload it to YouTube so the video quality would be better but I got no response...

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
[video]https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10213803698103410&id=11357441 82&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fnodakangler.com%2Fforums%2 F showthread.php&_rdr[/video]

This is the clear HD video which disappeared and can watch it clear as glass on my phone and is absolutely evident in the video that a jig with a white tail is being popped out of the walleye's back. (You can easily see and hear it come out.)
I'd put this video up against anything and am sure it was a prime source of the evidence used to decide the fate of snagzilla.
I can watch it over and over on my phone, but it won't give me the option to send it/only copy the url.. Guessing it's because it was on Facebook and then deleted, but since I texted it out to people the nite it was on here it's still there on the texting threads..

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I honestly don't recall anyone being torn apart.

Except for those who expressed some concern about the validity - they got reamed for being jealous, etc. ;:;rofl

You're not wrong. I believed the guy (my naivety shows). I believed the guy, and got tired of a whole pile (not just on this site) of people saying "Everybody knows.." and "all the fish there were snagged.."

So, I was one of the guys jumping to conclusions, but the wrong way. I admit it. I was wrong. Don't tell anybody.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is the clear HD video which disappeared and can watch it clear as glass on my phone and is absolutely evident in the video that a jig with a white tail is being popped out of the walleye's back. (You can easily see and hear it come out.) Wish it would post here but I can text it to anybody.
I'd put this video up against anything and am sure it was a prime source of the evidence used to decide the fate of snagzilla.

Link doesn’t work for me because I refuse to submit to Zuck. Anybody know of an alternative way to save that video and repost it using an alternative format?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're not wrong. I believed the guy (my naivety shows). I believed the guy, and got tired of a whole pile (not just on this site) of people saying "Everybody knows.." and "all the fish there were snagged.."

So, I was one of the guys jumping to conclusions, but the wrong way. I admit it. I was wrong. Don't tell anybody.

were you tired enough about it to give negative rep, to the speakers of the truth haha:;:duel

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33