New State record

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let the man enjoy his catch and state record. I say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! He and the netter will have to live the rest of their lives with a guilty conscious (IF) it was not legit. That is good enough for me.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh for fucks sake wasnt the last record a dead washed up walleye at least this one was caught one way or another. Congrats to the guy. Just like the guy who shot the big whitetail all kinds of butt hurt about some one getting something big.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy that caught it, the guy(a deputy) that netted it and the GNF employees that verified it have all said it was legally hooked so that's good enough for me. Not sure why people feel the need to keep doubting it. It probably won't last long any way.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree sween -- i would need to be their to see it -- i havent been that fortunate in my life time to see something like that. My memory of snagging --- sportsmen show trout pond --- they look over at you when you would snag one and yell no snagging and they would take it off in disgust.

Brett58852

Congrats to the guy who broke the state record! I can’t imagine how jacked up he was when it found it’s way into the net.
There is a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that fish won’t be stowed away in a dog kennel until the next big fishing tournament. Only a cheater is suspicious of cheating.....

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy...I've watched that video about 10 times now. Shame that in this day and age of HD everything it looks to be taken with a potato.

That said, it does really look like that hook is pretty firmly planted by the dorsal fin and takes more than slight pressure to get unlodged.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been biting my tongue on this for a couple days but I think a few things need to be said here. First off I fished down there for three days including the day this fish was caught. I got there shortly after the record was “caught. And for the people saying a fish this big isn’t snagable obviously haven’t fished down there. It is true 90% of the big ones are being snagged. The smaller ones bite but these big girls very rarely do. Keep in mind this is what I have witnessed while fishing the Heart those three days. And yes it is very possible for a fish this size to be snagged and landed it happened multiple times that day. These big females don’t fight they just kind of wallow around till they are swung into shore. Happens all the time many, many, times a day down there. Even when snagged in the tail. Hell I seen a twenty pound carp snagged that was fighting like Mike Tyson get landed. So that is a mute point. Now after being down there after the record was caught I asked two separate people if the record was snagged and they both said yes which I didn’t find surprising after I seen multiple giants snagged and landed that day. Again the smaller ones are caught in the mouth. What really got me was the video. The guy in the video obviously reaches down with a pliers and pulls a hook out of the back fin of this fish. The guy had the same jacket and pants of the net man in the picture. That really made me wonder a bit. I’m happy for the guy and all and think it’s an amazing fish and he should be able to keep it and all, but what bothers me is the guy that caught the record last year is getting his record stripped by a potentially illegal caught fish. That’s the real gut wrencher here and think the G&F need to really look into this. That video IMO holds a lot of water. There is nothing wrong with questioning this fish for the sake of the legally caught record last year. I’d like to add I don’t know either of the record holders or have ever met them. I just see nothing wrong with making sure it’s legal.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh for fucks sake wasnt the last record a dead washed up walleye at least this one was caught one way or another. Congrats to the guy. Just like the guy who shot the big whitetail all kinds of butt hurt about some one getting something big.
Yeah it's not like he was whipping something out there with big ass treble hooks or anyting this was a damn jig not exactly you're go to lure for snagging. So I don't overly care how it was hooked because lord knows we all let any fish not hooked in the head go every time!:;:stirthepot

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sum1 - did the video you watched have better quality than the potato-ized one I've seen? (Obviously compressed for texting purposes)

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
[video]https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10213803698103410&id=11357441 82&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fnodakangler.com%2Fforums%2 F showthread.php&_rdr[/video]

See if this works... Nope

I still have it in my texting threads from last nite, so must be only able to send it via texting/mms.

Last edited:

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been biting my tongue on this for a couple days but I think a few things need to be said here. First off I fished down there for three days including the day this fish was caught. I got there shortly after the record was “caught. And for the people saying a fish this big isn’t snagable obviously haven’t fished down there. It is true 90% of the big ones are being snagged. The smaller ones bite but these big girls very rarely do. Keep in mind this is what I have witnessed while fishing the Heart those three days. And yes it is very possible for a fish this size to be snagged and landed it happened multiple times that day. These big females don’t fight they just kind of wallow around till they are swung into shore. Happens all the time many, many, times a day down there. Even when snagged in the tail. Hell I seen a twenty pound carp snagged that was fighting like Mike Tyson get landed. So that is a mute point. Now after being down there after the record was caught I asked two separate people if the record was snagged and they both said yes which I didn’t find surprising after I seen multiple giants snagged and landed that day. Again the smaller ones are caught in the mouth. What really got me was the video. The guy in the video obviously reaches down with a pliers and pulls a hook out of the back fin of this fish. The guy had the same jacket and pants of the net man in the picture. That really made me wonder a bit. I’m happy for the guy and all and think it’s an amazing fish and he should be able to keep it and all, but what bothers me is the guy that caught the record last year is getting his record stripped by a potentially illegal caught fish. That’s the real gut wrencher here and think the G&F need to really look into this. That video IMO holds a lot of water. There is nothing wrong with questioning this fish for the sake of the legally caught record last year. I’d like to add I don’t know either of the record holders or have ever met them. I just see nothing wrong with making sure it’s legal.
My thoughts exactly!!

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess it on the badlandsbassbandits Facebook page they are having a discussion about it. The video I’m talking about

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is very possible that once it was netted and she rolled around for awhile the hook came out and got stuck somewhere else. If you have never seen this than you don't fish enough. Just my opinion on what could have happened before you throw stones.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had that happen a lot of times with pike, and sometimes with walleyes. They throw the hook in the net and it ends up snagging it or the net or boat seat, anything is possible. I say drop it, its been decided all ready!!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I question why we’re so eager to disqualify the record based on a technicality. The law is in place so that we don’t have dumbasses intentionally attempting to snag every fish like it’s a paddlefish. It’s not like he’s fishing with dynamite. Let it go. As sure as God’s got sandals, every single person on this website and on that shore would have kept that fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56