Nitro zv18, ranger 619 or 620

Hey guys I'm hoping to get a boat in the next year or two. I've Been looking at these boats and wondering for those of you that have one what you like/dislike of them. I wish the nitro had snap in carpet and a single livewell door. I like the snap in carpet of a ranger and the big livewell. Will probably be buying a used one . Maybe you could help a dude out with a ride to Haha. Thanks a lot

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out of those no question, get the 620. Best resale out of the bunch, best ride, more room... etc. it is also the most expensive. I guess what I’m getting at is it’s hard to compare a zv18 to a 620. Size wise the 619 is more comparable to the zv18 however you don’t see many available on the used market because they don’t offer much savings over a 620. So most seem to just go with the 620 to start with.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
look into the warrior 193 or 203... they are similar priced to the ranger, imo the ranger, warrior, yarcraft are miles above the nitro\tracker family of boats. warrior has the snap in carpets but also has seadek as an option (wish I would have known about that) get in the boats and go for a ride, moritz and mild 2 wild in mandan will both take you on the water, I believe north country marine in garrison will take you in a yar craft, I would guess you could get a ride in the nitro or a warrior in devils lake at woodland marine also (not sure). The way the boat is setup / rides is all personal preference, if you troll 99% of the time the horse shoe layout in the ranger and nitro gets in the way (lund has a compromise with removable storage), makes a great casting platform. Trolling imo the warrior is the way to go because it is wide open in the back and the front deck is smaller (windshield is pushed forward) yar craft has a huge front deck and smaller in the back but no horse shoe so it works well for both (windshield is pushed towards the rear). The windshield/cockpit placement has many factors beyond just room forward or rear, when driving the boat you will go faster with it towards the rear of the boat but you will get a smoother ride if it is pushed towards the front. Ranger and nitro are between the warrior (forward) and yarcraft (rearward). If you want to ride in a warrior 2121 let me know, it's only 2" longer than a ranger 620. It will all come down to what YOU want in a boat, there is a lot of people who are happy in a 14' aluminum tiller, they almost never go more than a few miles on the water, but then there is the other end of that spectrum that will run 20-30 miles from the ramp they put in at by the end of the day and then realize a storm is on the horizon.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The windshield/cockpit placement has many factors beyond just room forward or rear, when driving the boat you will go faster with it towards the rear of the boat but you will get a smoother ride if it is pushed towards the front.

You'll get a dryer ride with the windshield pushed forward, but the further back the helm is located, the smother the ride will be. The outboard motor is essentially the fulcrum, the boat is the lever. The closer you are to the fulcrum, the smoother your ride will be as the lever is shorter.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll get a dryer ride with the windshield pushed forward, but the further back the helm is located, the smother the ride will be. The outboard motor is essentially the fulcrum, the boat is the lever. The closer you are to the fulcrum, the smoother your ride will be as the lever is shorter.

correct. The tiller was one smooth ride. Dry, it was not.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on what kind of ride you are wanting. Pro's and Con's to each.

Nitros: Great Wave Pounders. They have a deeper hull, so they aren't a speedster. They sit higher in the water, which on a windy day means they don't track the best. You'll need a 72" shaft for a trolling motor, and in a good chop the motor will be in and out of the water.

Yar Craft: Very Impressive in the waves, narrower stance. Very nice ride.They have good bow pitch, which gives you good speed, but also creates problems in chop. You'll have a hell of a time keeping a 72" shaft trolling motor in the water if you have a bigger motor and/or jack plate.

Warrior: Very Impressive in the waves. Very deep hull, like riding in a bathtub. They are a work horse, but probably one of the slower boats due to the hull design. Fit and finish is average.

Ranger: Great Wave Pounders. Shallower hull design, they sit a lot closer to the water, which makes the boat track extremely well in any conditions. 60" shaft will have no problems keeping in the water. One of the faster boats on the water due to hull design. The ride is impressive. Best/Nicest fit and finish of any boats on the market. But that also comes with a premium price tag. They hold their value the best of any boat on the market when it comes to re-sale value.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on what kind of ride you are wanting. Pro's and Con's to each.

Nitros: Great Wave Pounders. They have a deeper hull, so they aren't a speedster. They sit higher in the water, which on a windy day means they don't track the best. You'll need a 72" shaft for a trolling motor, and in a good chop the motor will be in and out of the water.[/COLOR]

Yar Craft: Very Impressive in the waves, narrower stance. Very nice ride.They have good bow pitch, which gives you good speed, but also creates problems in chop. You'll have a hell of a time keeping a 72" shaft trolling motor in the water if you have a bigger motor and/or jack plate.

Warrior: Very Impressive in the waves. Very deep hull, like riding in a bathtub. They are a work horse, but probably one of the slower boats due to the hull design. Fit and finish is average.

Ranger:
Great Wave Pounders
. Shallower hull design, they sit a lot closer to the water, which makes the boat track extremely well in any conditions. 60" shaft will have no problems keeping in the water. One of the faster boats on the water due to hull design. The ride is impressive. Best/Nicest fit and finish of any boats on the market. But that also comes with a premium price tag. They hold their value the best of any boat on the market when it comes to re-sale value.

I have had 2- 209s (1 with a 60 inch shaft, 1 with 72) and 1- 219 with a 72. I have rarely experienced this phenomenon very often at all.

As far as Rangers being great wave pounders. They slap a lot; but that's physics with a wide beam, shallower V, and flatter pad. They do sit low and are less prone to wind issues which is really noticeable on crappy days.

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
No horseshoe in the zv18... way bigger in the back than the 21... she's wiiiiiide open... also, I have a 60 inch terrova that is seldom out of the water in 3 footers...

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
This going to be the great boat debate again. Don't buy a boat based on anyone's opinion. Go get in every boat you are interested in and buy what fits YOU the best. We are all proud of what we have and I would be willing to bet you could get on a few test rides.

Smuscha

I have a 619fs with a 225 verado. They are 10 inches shorter than a 620 and the same width. With a 225 they run about 56-57 on the big end and are a nice smooth and dry ride. I have no complaints about mine. Ranger as stated above tracks very very well in the wind. Save a few bucks buying a 619 over a 620 but finding a used 619 isn’t the easiest thing. I went 619 at the time because I fish alone quite a bit and for room in the garage. Looked at a zv18 when I bought mine and just thought they cut a lot of corners on finish and some things I didn’t care for. I don’t have snap in carpet in mine nor do I want it. The rubber floor is super nice, take a hose and wash everything out the back. One thing to think about is the boats you listed all have horseshoes in the back for storage, warriors and yarcrafts do not. Personally I love the horse shoe and wouldn’t buy a boat without it. Kicking around the idea of selling mine god fall and going new in the spring

limit2winit

Established Member
Pros and cons to every boat out there. I think the 620 is hands down the best boat on the market. ive even had guys running 621's that the 620 has a better ride. That being said, the 619 is still a top notch boat and should definitely take some consideration. But i gotta say, and this is hard to say since i've been a ranger fan since i was 10, but my real close 2nd favorite boat out there right now is the Lund pro v glass series, especially the 202. As mentioned, the horseshoe storage in back is awesome to have, but with lund you have the ability to remove that storage for more floor space. now i wouldn't take it out that often, but it's great idea if doing family stuff or just need more room for other people to fish. solid finishing touches, smooth ride, good looks. be worth checking out too. as stated above, get in them all and ride in them if you can.

at the end of the day, i love the speed and looks of the yar craft, the layout and fit and finish of the 620, i like the ownership of warrior, i mean if a guy could take a piece of each and put it one it would be awesome. enjoy shopping, its a blast.

Walleye master

Thanks for the help guys. I know it's up to me but just like opinions since I've never ridden in them . I'll try and see if can get out for some rides in them. Just walked around some 620s today. Them things are nice.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i sure like the zv18 so far, but it's the nicest boat i've ever owned, so take it for what it's worth... i guess i'm in the kinda sparkly class for now...

i fish the west end of sak almost every weekend - pm me if you want a test fish...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sat next to a new 620 with my 2011 621 and was surprised how mine sat noticeably lower. Scratched my head.

4Buck

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93