No more messing with the clock in North Dakota

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looking out my home office window right now at a little past 8 am and it's twilight. Neighborhood kids were waiting for the bus across the street in the dark at 7 this morning the same way they have been for the last 5 months. For two of those months, they come home in the dark too. Had a moose cow and twins in the yard the last 36 hours. They're 3 of about 15 that move throughout and live in the neighborhood all winter. They're a threat, but the kids are smart. Everyone wants to complain about how soft each generation after them is, but it's of no fault of their own; they're doomed with overprotective and irrational parenting.

photos are from yesterday
38144D93-CB78-49A6-885F-5B0FDE5777F4.jpgBB2BE8EC-5BE0-4D91-B752-4929A0277A7B.jpg

I also believe AK is probably one of the most active states in the nation. The limitless amount of things to do no matter the temperature or amount of light is what draws people here. I was amazed when I first moved here when it would be 0 degrees outside and people were still asking us to go ski, camp, snowshoe, bike, etc. Back home only a crazy person would be outside. It seems like most here have a plan to get out every weekend no matter the weather or amount of sun. I could care less about what politicians do about daylight savings. It's nothing more than a convenient distraction to prevent them from working on the thousands of real problems in this country.

Last edited:

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking out my home office window right now at a little past 8 am and it's twilight. Neighborhood kids were waiting for the bus across the street in the dark at 7 this morning the same way they have been for the last 5 months. For two of those months, they come home in the dark too. Had a moose cow and twins in the yard the last 36 hours. They're 3 of about 15 that move throughout and live in the neighborhood all winter. They're a threat, but the kids are smart. Everyone wants to complain about how soft each generation after them is, but it's of no fault of their own; they're doomed with overprotective and irrational parenting.

mkVLOjA6yCID.jpegoq1wYoFVdUgb.jpeg

I also believe AK is probably one of the most active states in the nation. The limitless amount of things to do no matter the temperature or amount of light is what draws people here. I was amazed when I first moved here when it would be 0 degrees outside and people were still asking us to go ski, camp, snowshoe, bike, etc. Back home only a crazy person would be outside. It seems like most here have a plan to get out every weekend no matter the weather or amount of sun. I could care less about what politicians do about daylight savings. It's nothing more than a convenient distraction to prevent them from working on the thousands of real problems in this country.

We are moving to AK in a couple of months...we are under contract on our house and if it closes on time we'll be hitting the road the end of April!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate changing time twice a year, im for leaving it alone. I know some old guys that never do change their clocks just go on with their lives at their own time.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorthairs have you ever caught a walleye on devils lake ?

- - - Updated - - -

Now you should be talking your famous droughts you might be right now lol.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
It doesn't matter what time the clock says it is - the hours of daylight during the day DO NOT change.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised that you're surprised people would like to stay close to family, my kids are the greatest people I know!

I'm surprised that you're surprised that I was surprised.

It was simply not a thing I've seen happen on either side of my family. I saw kids "move back home" on occasion. But now I see parents following their adult children.

Not good or bad necessarily - just a wildly different trend that bucks my experience base.

- - - Updated - - -

And it's pre-retirement in many cases. Not post-retirement.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i once heard these words out of a fella who happens to be a teacher & a coach: "ya know, i wouldn't mind living in california just because it would be nice to get to sleep in an extra two hours everyday." i started to explain it to him and then just said fuck it. he was 35 years old at the time and i just figured "what's the use?"

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

It was simply not a thing I've seen happen on either side of my family. I saw kids "move back home" on occasion. But now I see parents following their adult children.

Not good or bad necessarily - just a wildly different trend that bucks my experience base.

- - - Updated - - -

completely agree.
I have parents 420 miles one way, in-laws 150 the other way, one daughter in Fargo, one in Beulah, one at home as she is a senior, and a boy that has a couple more to go. I would have to buy 6 houses to chase my family around. Me and mrs johnr will likely head to SD in the hills when the time comes, or maybe Florida. Kids will always be welcome to visit, as I also plan to visit them.
I would think iffn they wanted me next to them they wouldn't have moved from me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would rather have more light in the evening always i go to work in the dark regardless if it is june or january

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I get the surprise with pre-retirement. Come to think of it, my former in-laws moved while he was mostly retired, but she was still working. Granted, the move also made for a shorter work commute for her.

But as far as post-retirement, I guess I've been seeing it with older family friends for quite a few years now, so it doesn't have near the surprise factor for me at this point. Granted, some of them may have also been fleeing the Bakken boom as well since most were from western ND and not everyone is excited to live out west at this point.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would rather have more light in the evening always i go to work in the dark regardless if it is june or january

I'm a big time morning person - so if I were king for a day, it would be keeping the time on Standard Time. Being on the western edge of Central Time, guess I don't feel like the extra time in the evening is getting us the most "bang for our buck" - but I know for every one of me there are probably 10 who will enjoy having the extra light in the evening...permanently.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what do they do if you are late picking up your child from daycare? Throw them outside so they can lockup?
Guessing there is a "big" late charge or service fee?

20 years ago our day care was a buck an hour after closing time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88