No Trespass Prognostication

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
My family has a small farm in eastern nd, and I think the law is just fine the way it is. We post our farm so that we have land to hunt, however we don’t go out hunting other peoples land or unposted land as I feel it would be hypocritical to not allow people to hunt but then go somewhere else and ask permission. Unfortunetly we have to deal with jerks that tear down signs and shoot stuff on our property, we used to leave a couple fields unposted but we had people thinking that meant they could just do things like change their oil on the approach and throw the bottles and rags in the field or dump their bags of trash etc. Now it’s all posted and most of the problems have gone away besides people knocking our sign posts over or stealing them. However just because of a few bad apples I don’t want to see people lose the opportunity to hunt. I feel blessed to have a few hundred acres to roam and don’t want others to not have that experience. Even though we post ours I know of other farmers that just post the home quarter and leave the rest unposted because they don’t hunt and don’t want phone calls all year. I say leave it be

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel the hunting heritage is slowly dying as is. A no tresspass law would significantly speed the process. I hunt the NW 1/3 of the state and right now at least 90% of private land is posted. Very few put names on posters because they don't want to be bothered. I know of many landowners that post there land and hunt anywhere they want. Neighbor landowners may get pissed but they don't want to rock the boat because in 3 years they may need to rent land. Anyways due to the hassle and lack of access I don't hunt nearly as much as I did 15 years ago. I have a full time job and a family. I don't have time to hunt down landowners or kiss their ass to gain access. A CRP program needs to come back to add habitat and open more access to hunt. If not the only people that will be hunting are landowners, friends and family of landowners.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel the hunting heritage is slowly dying as is. A no tresspass law would significantly speed the process. I hunt the NW 1/3 of the state and right now at least 90% of private land is posted. Very few put names on posters because they don't want to be bothered. I know of many landowners that post there land and hunt anywhere they want. Neighbor landowners may get pissed but they don't want to rock the boat because in 3 years they may need to rent land. Anyways due to the hassle and lack of access I don't hunt nearly as much as I did 15 years ago. I have a full time job and a family. I don't have time to hunt down landowners or kiss their ass to gain access. A CRP program needs to come back to add habitat and open more access to hunt. If not the only people that will be hunting are landowners, friends and family of landowners.
this sums it up pretty good.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my son's lately said to me "dad you have become more of a target shooter than hunter the past few years". I guess he is right for many reasons. Can't pull a bow because of a bad rotator cuff that I just had surgery on, and the doc says don't pull your bow or you will be back for another surgery". Need two new knees, a new hip, and the 5th lumbar fused. So all the posted signs, the outfitter leasing, the landowner asking $100 + per gun per day will not affect me other than destroying my coyote hunting. Can't walk, but I could always drive to a nice spot, sip coffee and watch as I passed the morning hours. I'm trying to remain optimistic so ordered a new 6.5 Grendel this morning. If I am stuck in a Lazyboy for six months waiting for knee surgery at least I can hold my rifle and hope we still retain the freedom we all enjoy next fall. Sure hope I can walk on new knees then.

Last edited:

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS FROM A PERSON WHO HAS LIVED IN ND, NEMN, SWMN AND NOW ND AGAIN...recognizing some of these are rhetorical...

1. I've asked this before but forget the answer: Other states have no-trespass laws but people post most everything regardless. Why is this? Is it because in western MN people visiting from ND trespass if there are no signs because they are used to that system "at home"? So it seems like nobody is going to be freed from the task/expense of posting their land - at least not for a generation. True or false?

The trespass law in MN is not a blanket no trespass law, there are exceptions for non-agricultural (ie: not tilled) land and forest land, whereby you have to post to exclude access, under the letter of the law. That's why most people still post their land, especially RIM, CREP, CRP and forest (all places where people hunt, basically), in MN.

2. Will there suddenly be much more pressure on PLOTS, game management, state, etc.? Or will permission calls just increase a lot and people will continue to hunt unposted land, but after having obtained permission. Guaranteed. ND just does not have the WMA/WPA system that MN does, particularly SWMN, and with PLOTS in ND losing about 30% of its acres in the last 10 years, and MN gaining WIA land every year, the two states are going in the opposite direction - this bill would compound that for ND. ND also does not have the wide-ranging multi-million acre state and national forests of MN's northern tier either which provide basically unlimited public deer and grouse hunting. Also, it's way easier in MN to create WMAs. The process in ND is much more difficult in terms of purchase, conversion, state ownership and so on.

3. I understand it's not that easy/common for enforcement of no trespass. And law enforcement, not wardens, handle this. Won't enforcement calls "go through the roof" and create an overwhelmed law enforcement situation? I can't imagine the uptick each season opener. It's a statutory offense and relatively easy to enforce the law in court. If the land is posted properly, a first-year law student could prosecute the two elements, which are basically: 1) Was the land properly posted? 2) Did the defendant enter onto the property without permission? It's not a common offense, because the long-standing law we have in place is generally understood and easily followed by the landowners posting it and the people who want to access.

4. Some people were born to cheat. Right now there's a lot of land unposted so they're "satisfied with what they have to hunt", with an occasional cheat here/there if they see game while driving around. If suddenly everything is posted, will this create more people that have a chip on their shoulder about landowners and develop an "oh well, I'll just hunt wherever" attitude. True or false? 95% of people are generally good and law abiding and try to respect the rules at all times. Human nature doesn't change because the law changes.

5. What's the current trespass penalty? - and is it sufficient to act as a deterrent? Criminal Trespass on posted land is a B Misdemeanor, so up to 30 days in jail and $1,000 fine. That's sufficient. Second offense in 2 years is a A misdemeanor (NDCC 12.1-22-03)

6. Would a no trespass law prevent jackholes from tearing down signs and offering up the "I didn't see the poster" or "I didn't see a signature" type excuses? That would be a pro I guess. No more excuses for cheating. No, because 5% of the population are jackholes.

7. Would a tax-payer supported program involving no-cost installation of "walk-in" posting for landowners who don't care maybe take the sting out of things for the non-landowners? Now we're just turning the problem on its head and then socializing the "not-posted" posting of land, making the people pay for a problem that didn't exist, and paying for landowners to manage their land.

8. Would poaching increase? No. 5% Jackholes / 95% Good people.

These are just a few things I wonder about. In general, it seems like mostly a losing situation for both landowners and non landowners, but maybe it'll just "be different" but will all work itself out in the end?

It is, and it will only work out of this bill dies. Otherwise hunting as ND knows it dies with it.

If this bill passes, we've lost over a million acres of access...overnight. Maybe not a big deal to those who have land or access or only care about themselves, but huge to the kid just getting into hunting and the future of conservation. The more we restrict access, the less hunters we will have, and ultimately the less conservationists we'll have, making a growing problem worse. There is no fallback. This bill needs to die and its sponsors need to be held accountable in the next election by the people they're selling out. Also the Governor needs to stop silencing the NDG&F on this topic.

One thing I can't figure out is what is so broken now that landowners with power/influence need to change it? If they have land, then the majority of them also have the $ to post and the influence to get law enforcement to prosecute. What are landowners actually gaining from such a law? If it's simply freedom from the expense/hassle of posting that seems minor. Is it freedom from the "excuse" guys who claim it wasn't posted properly? What's genuinely driving this movement? I wish I had a better appreciation for the landowner perspective.

As with all political moves, it's about money and power. A vocal minority with lots of money and power (Stockmen, Oil & Corporate Ag) paying off representatives and senators and the governor with campaign finance at the expense of the common man to get the only thing that people with power and money want...more power and more money.

I appreciate your well-reasoned questions.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"As with all political moves, it's about money and power. A vocal minority with lots of money and power (Stockmen, Oil & Corporate Ag) paying off representatives and senators and the governor with campaign finance at the expense of the common man to get the only thing that people with power and money want...more power and more money. "

X2

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
"As with all political moves, it's about money and power. A vocal minority with lots of money and power (Stockmen, Oil & Corporate Ag) paying off representatives and senators and the governor with campaign finance at the expense of the common man to get the only thing that people with power and money want...more power and more money. "

X2

Make that X3 The last two posts were excellent.
I wish some people would challenge our republicans in the primaries. If not North Dakota will see more democrats and that would be a shame. I also wish the stockmen and other ag interest would understand that hunters are some of the biggest supporters and if this bill craps on hunters they will loose much of that support which would also be a shame. I guess those who introduced the bill value a dollar bill more than they value us. Next enter the herder.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
had a guy get up from coffee table at a truck stop come and ask on opening pheasant "is today opening pheasant? I better go post my land. my nephews said go back to the country farmer!! he was laughing while he said it!!!!! Was not a good conversation following at all!!! nephews told him go back to the farm to drink your coffee the city is posted for talking!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 155
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88