No trespass

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walk in must be something like the plots that we have here in ND . I didn't take the time to look very deep into walk in but is it gaining momentum down there ?

there are 1,239,580 acres in it this year here is the info about it.

[h=2]Walk-in Area Program (WIA)[/h]The WIA program leases private land with valuable hunting opportunity for unlimited public hunting access (foot-traffic only) in exchange for an annual payment and immunity from non-negligent liability.The Walk-In Area program began in 1988 leasing public hunting access from 26 landowners on 23,161 acres, and has grown to partnering with 1,458 landowners, in 2017, who provide public hunting access to 1,239,580 acres of private land. Cumulatively over the last thirty years the Walk-In Area program has paid landowners over $3 5 million to provide public hunting access opportunities to over 23 .2 million acres. A Legislative Commemoration was issued commending the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks and the landowners of South Dakota on 30 years of partnership to provide public hunting access through the Walk-In Area Program. More information.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pretty much gave up bird hunting due to lack of open land. It just turned into an all day ordeal knocking on doors. Wasn’t worth the hassle. Then eventually got tired of hunting public land for deer. I fish now and am much more happy. It sucks though for my son. He wants to hunt. I don’t see this new law being good for the sport at all. Hunting really has turned into a rich mans game. Good hunting anyway. I still know people the hunt public land for birds that walk all day and come home with a bird or maybe two if they get lucky. Isn’t worth it IMO.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pretty much quit fishing turning into a rich mans game with the boats and electronics. Then you got all those tournament guys who run you off the water finding a spot is damn near impossible. Then there are the shore fishermen who think they own the shoreline casting 3 oz jigs at you if you get to close. Loosing a eye to catch fish just ain’t worth it. I just roll over in the fetal position and quit doing stuff I like . At least I will always have NDA to come to and commiserate

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pretty much quit fishing turning into a rich mans game with the boats and electronics. Then you got all those tournament guys who run you off the water finding a spot is damn near impossible. Then there are the shore fishermen who think they own the shoreline casting 3 oz jigs at you if you get to close. Loosing a eye to catch fish just ain’t worth it. I just roll over in the fetal position and quit doing stuff I like . At least I will always have NDA to come to and commiserate
sounds like you just need an enema

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rich man thing is bogus --- if you read to many threads on this site ----- all you see is you have to have to own a big ranger to be successful fishing or hunt 20 states, own land, have every gun known to man etc. I would hate to be a kid reading some of these threads - and believing them - as it would be a turn off. Fact is you guys are just getting old and have to damn much stuff going on in your world and you use the rich man thing as an excuse. If your busy your busy just say it.

FACT: i have never had a tourney guy bump me off a spot and i fish every weekend on a lake that has a tournament going every weekend (DL). The parking lot next to my place has stood empty for weeks maybe one or two rigs in it.

FACT: majority of private land is farmed up to the ditch and the ditch is hayed- not creating much of a habitat for a pheasant. Plots and public land although may be hunted heavy -- they have habitat for a pheasant. They havent been touched since last december --- you should of been out last weekend during the youth pheasant.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rich man thing is bogus --- if you read to many threads on this site ----- all you see is you have to have to own a big ranger to be successful fishing or hunt 20 states, own land, have every gun known to man etc. I would hate to be a kid reading some of these threads - and believing them - as it would be a turn off. Fact is you guys are just getting old and have to damn much stuff going on in your world and you use the rich man thing as an excuse. If your busy your busy just say it.

FACT: i have never had a tourney guy bump me off a spot and i fish every weekend on a lake that has a tournament going every weekend (DL). The parking lot next to my place has stood empty for weeks maybe one or two rigs in it.

FACT: majority of private land is farmed up to the ditch and the ditch is hayed- not creating much of a habitat for a pheasant. Plots and public land although may be hunted heavy -- they have habitat for a pheasant. They havent been touched since last december --- you should of been out last weekend during the youth pheasant.

my post was 100%:::. There is so much opportunity but it’s easier to bitch and moan than to take advantage of it

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

Haha FACT: you don’t get bumped off of spots that suck or are full of Dinks.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha FACT: the rich man thing is bogus as most of those rangers are on a 15 year payment plan.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

Hope no one was as youth Pheasant season is this upcoming weekend.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hope no one was as youth Pheasant season is this upcoming weekend.

7405F0B5-B753-4351-8E9B-E6A712BA7013.jpeg

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Short is being a good sport and good father and creating opportunity for his youth! :cool:

Fish On!

bronco

Well this seem to prove that social media has truly killed our ability to talk about anything. If you cant find a decent place to hunt in ND your not looking. If you cant find a place to fish in ND your either blind are not looking. ND still has abundant wildlife and places to hunt and many lakes that are full of fish to catch. And I credit a truly remarkable Game and Fish department for making that happen. Has far as landowners are concerned in the 28 years I have lived in ND I have been turned down maybe three or four times when I asked to hunt. Most of the time I was told if I let you hunt here and some of the local assholes see you it want turn out good for me as I have run them off to many times already. I grew up on a working farm and that land is as important to the land owner as the garage you have that ranger boat parked in. Grow up get a life and treat people and the game you chase with a little respect. No telling how many doors will open. I have to tell you all I'm ashamed to be in the category of hunter / fisherman with at least half of you...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well this seem to prove that social media has truly killed our ability to talk about anything. If you cant find a decent place to hunt in ND your not looking. If you cant find a place to fish in ND your either blind are not looking. ND still has abundant wildlife and places to hunt and many lakes that are full of fish to catch. And I credit a truly remarkable Game and Fish department for making that happen. Has far as landowners are concerned in the 28 years I have lived in ND I have been turned down maybe three or four times when I asked to hunt. Most of the time I was told if I let you hunt here and some of the local assholes see you it want turn out good for me as I have run them off to many times already. I grew up on a working farm and that land is as important to the land owner as the garage you have that ranger boat parked in. Grow up get a life and treat people and the game you chase with a little respect. No telling how many doors will open. I have to tell you all I'm ashamed to be in the category of hunter / fisherman with at least half of you...

Same here, I feel they are doing a pretty good job considering what they have to work with.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind Bronko that a lot of posts here are sarcasm but we all know that unity trumps divide and concur.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on the fence about what the effects will be for residents and landowners of ND. I have a relative in SE ND and he farms a pretty good chunk of land. He doesn't post be cause he frankly does not want to be continually bothered by guys while he is doing his fall harvest and cattle work. It's not worth the hassle, he doesn't hunt and just wants to get his work done. A no trespass law changes that. However, as a small landowner, I also look at it with the fact that it is my dirt. Yeah, the wildlife isn't mine, but I own the dirt and shouldn't have to post a sign every 880 feet just to keep someone off of it. It goes both ways and depends on your perspective.

As a SD resident I don't hold our public lands in quite the regard KurtR does. Is there some really good public stuff? For sure. There is a lot of junk too. In my experience, there has been a significant shift of hunters on to public land in the last 15 years. There are no more secret areas or public land that goes untouched. Lots of folks know about the pocket areas that have deer and birds. And, with big game tags, hunters apply based on how much public land is available without even knowing the area. It leads to a lot of people on even the good ground at the peak times. Resident pheasant is a good example, most all the good areas will have 3 trucks parked there early. I can still find an area way back and kill birds, but it takes a lot of effort. Antelope and deer season are hilarious in the NW part of the state, the openers have every approach filled with trucks. And not a single truck hardly seen on private ground.

So even though we have some great WIA land with lot of acres, CHAP land, etc. it isn't all sunshine and roses. And it's getting worse because access is that much more difficult. Part of that difficulty is we as hunters get discouraged and/or have unrealistic expectations. Get turned down for opening day? Who cares, I bet they let you hunt birds late in the season after their family, etc. is gone. Instead of expecting the key to the castle, accept the opportunities given.

Now would a no-trespass law require a total paradigm shift of ND hunters? Yes, and in probably a negative way at first. Some folks will just quit. But, it could clean some things up too possibly, less slobs out there after awhile. It will certainly require an increase enforcement efforts. I don't know that I see it commercializing things any more. Remember, SD commercialized pheasant hunting because we had a ton of birds and could make good money. Now, we don't have near the birds. The guys who thought they could cash in are either not having hunters or are buying birds. Things have shifted.

I would say leave it as is. We'll see......

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Opening day of wr deer I have not seen a pick up in 3 years or a person but it is 1.25 miles till you get to the good stuff. I enjoy hard hunts a lot of people quit where I start

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33