Old Photos

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going through some old pictures from a couple of generations back. They are not in to bad of condition, however there are some hairline cracks. Could you laminate them to protect them? Or would the heat from lamination process destroy the photo?

Thanks for your thoughts.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used Walmart lamination kits that didn't have any heat involved.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks. I have been using my iphone for some. I should of been more specific as I have one photo that is from my Uncles military platoon that is 9 inches by 18 inches. Am thinking of lamination before I get it framed.
Scan to computer.
Don't have a scanner or printer that big.
I use photoscan with my phone to scan old photos.
Is that an App?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks. I have been using my iphone for some. I should of been more specific as I have one photo that is from my Uncles military platoon that is 9 inches by 18 inches. Am thinking of lamination before I get it framed.

Don't have a scanner or printer that big.

Is that an App?
Photoscan is an app. I didn't fully understand your first post.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would NOT laminate anything I wanted to keep for years down the road. It eventually yellows and becomes brittle. What I would suggest you do is take it to someone that has a high end scanner and printer to make a new copy of it. I did this around 25 years ago to some photos that were getting up there in age and they still look great today. Maybe check places like Office Max or a photo/camera store near you.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going through some old pictures from a couple of generations back. They are not in to bad of condition, however there are some hairline cracks. Could you laminate them to protect them? Or would the heat from lamination process destroy the photo?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Another vote for scanning, it will preserve them better than anything else, beyond that vacuum seal or laminate them to remove air which will cause them to continue degrading over time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76