Packing Heat when fishing?

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pack for different reasons than most of you guys;

101_5602.jpg

With that said, I did have an old weirdo pull a knife on me and buddy last year in Valdez. It wasn't threatening in nature but it makes a guy more comfy knowing he has a gun in a knife fight. This dude was just wacked out, talking about sled dogs, beating his pud, and sleeping with the Boss's wife....weird peeps up here.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pack for different reasons than most of you guys;

image.jpg

With that said, I did have an old weirdo pull a knife on me and buddy last year in Valdez. It wasn't threatening in nature but it makes a guy more comfy knowing he has a gun in a knife fight. This dude was just wacked out, talking about sled dogs, beating his pud, and sleeping with the Boss's wife....weird peeps up here.

That is a beautiful fish frosty! Love seeing your pics!

- - - Updated - - -

Have you ever had to use your pistol for the other reason?

---------------

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure it's illegal to conceal carry while fishing and all hunting stave for bow hunting. Please verify mr. Expert.

If you are hunting, you are already armed - no need to conceal carry. Why on earth would you think it's illegal to conceal carry while fishing?

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
BP338, I wished I had it once, does that count?!

Two years ago I came around a corner in a dry creek bed and came face to face with a grizzly. We had a stand off at about 10 yards but she cooperated and let me live!! Butt puckering experience for sure!! It taught this Dakota boy to never be with out fire power if in grizz crounty.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
BP338, I wished I had it once, does that count?!

Two years ago I came around a corner in a dry creek bed and came face to face with a grizzly. We had a stand off at about 10 yards but she cooperated and let me live!! Butt puckering experience for sure!! It taught this Dakota boy to never be with out fire power if in grizz crounty.

i would have pooped

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks. we should discuss this a bit more over a cup of warm apple cider

I'm really (seriously) confused. I do like cider though! You can carry a pistol when bowhunting in ND?...

- - - Updated - - -

If someone is not confused about You and me please feel me to jump in. I hate feeling like Forrest.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before considering a firearm to stop a simple (no threat to your health or life) theft, consider that it will cost you about $50,000 in legal fees if it's found to be a justifiable use of a firearm. I don't own a vehicle with a book value that high. I love my flat screen TV, but it's not worth $50 K. Threat to life or health is the ONLY justification for even showing a firearm.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before considering a firearm to stop a simple (no threat to your health or life) theft, consider that it will cost you about $50,000 in legal fees if it's found to be a justifiable use of a firearm. I don't own a vehicle with a book value that high. I love my flat screen TV, but it's not worth $50 K. Threat to life or health is the ONLY justification for even showing a firearm.

I'm not following you explanation for 50 grand in legal fees. Where and how did you come up with this number????

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not about luck. I don't generally fish at night and the places I'm usually at aren't very remote. I guess I would consider it in certain situations that I don't typically face.
Despite whats on the news all the time it really isn't the old wild west everywhere. Im fine with better safe than sorry, but I know a few people who are past the line to paranoia.
I wouldn't want to try to walk up to them at a boat ramp to ask for a jump start because they might shoot first.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm really (seriously) confused. I do like cider though! You can carry a pistol when bowhunting in ND?...

- - - Updated - - -

If someone is not confused about You and me please feel me to jump in. I hate feeling like Forrest.

You can carry when bow hunting just not concealed. If I remember right it all came about after a bow hunter out by Watford City had a run in with a critter of the large feline persuasion, before the boom really hit.

Keeping a .22 or a .410 has crossed my mind a few times when I can't seem to keep the slimers off the line!
" No firearms, except handguns, may be in the hunter’s possession while hunting with a deer bow license. However, handguns may not be used in any manner to assist in the harvest of a deer with an archery license." From the NDGF bow hunting regulations. It doesn't say anything about concealed but a warden I know mentioned it in passing when this all came about so a guy would want to check on that part.

As far as fishing I don't, generally at pretty busy boat ramps and not in the dark so I haven't felt the need to carry. However, there's always something in my truck if the need should arise.

- - - Updated - - -

I have wished for a 22 or a 410 at times when the slimers seem to be all that's biting!

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a big guy and take care of myself fairly well in (lets say) human misunderstandings. I've found many of these misunderstandings occur while in and around the water, when people should be out having fun versus getting mad/upset about things. Of course, often the added (FUN) of drinking alcohol by some people fuels the fire to this (not so fun) altercation equation. Also I had an incident take place about 5 years ago that shook even me a bit. This incident caused me to seek and get my own Concealed Weapons Permit. I now carry my pistol when on the highway traveling to different far away locations or while fishing at night.

It was a night trip that caused me to take this action. While quiting fishing for the night on a local river, I was confronted by a young male leaning against my pickup truck in the deserted, dark parking lot at about 5:00am in the morning. From a slight distance I asked the interloper what was going on? He ask me if I had caught any fish? I replied yes, both me and my buddy had limited out. He then asks if he could have a couple of these fish to take home? I said sure, you have a bag or a cooler we can put a couple in? He says nope, How about you give me your cooler? At that point my (MAD) meter started to kick in. I tell him, look if you don't have anything to put these fish in, I'd appreciate you getting away from my truck so I can hook up my boat and leave. Out of the darkness another voice say's, Hey don't get all jacked out of shape or you might get hurt. I spin on my heals and head back to the launch and tell my bud to call 911 on his cell phone. Neither one of the two guys follow me down to the ramp as there is lights there. The 911 operator tells me that my call is not an emergency. I tell her in so many words that it may soon be one if they don't send a police car. Ten minutes later a police car pulls into the parking lot. I tell the officers what happened and they search the parking lot area and find nobody of course. They tell me they have been getting complaints from night fishermen of batteries being stolen, cars/trucks being broken into and one assault by one guy all alone pulling out one night.

So, in this day and age it seems even fishing is frought with dangers not so obvious. What do you guys think of this problem and my solution to it?

Had pretty much the same thing happen to me last fall one evening at a ramp that didn't have a light. One guy at my truck, another in a beat up ford ranger with out of state plates. Both looked like Joe Dirt/trouble. He was asking me a couple really odd questions and I thought right then and there that this dude was going to pull a weapon out. And it pissed me off I didn't have one myself as he followed us up to the parking lot after we loaded. I just jumped out of the boat and told my buddy to get us the hell out of there and I'd take care of the boat when we got down the road.
We are on the fringe of the bakken and there are allot of out of work losers still hanging around. Thefts and drugs are getting out of control in the area right now. It never used to be this way that's for sure.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not about luck. I don't generally fish at night and the places I'm usually at aren't very remote. I guess I would consider it in certain situations that I don't typically face.
Despite whats on the news all the time it really isn't the old wild west everywhere. Im fine with better safe than sorry, but I know a few people who are past the line to paranoia.
I wouldn't want to try to walk up to them at a boat ramp to ask for a jump start because they might shoot first.

I hear ya. I am of the "Id rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it" mentality. It's not a burden for me to carry and it makes me feel safe. To each there own!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
These stories sadden me... Terrible terrible terrible. I never carry a gun when i go fishing unless it is my coyote gun for a lucky shot at a yote on my way to the lake. My uncle made me a small oak club that would really hurt to get smacked with.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
These stories sadden me... Terrible terrible terrible. I never carry a gun when i go fishing unless it is my coyote gun for a lucky shot at a yote on my way to the lake. My uncle made me a small oak club that would really hurt to get smacked with.
The stories sadden me too. Your post seems to imply having a handgun while fishing is objectionable. I don't understand how it's different than having a Leatherman on your belt. As said before, I like having a gun around if for nothing more than a plinking session if things get slow (damn I hate to qualify this: In a legal and reasonable manner.)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67