Pellet Grills and Smokers

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was also looking at the Weber pellet grill, but backed away after some online reviews about grease fires. Have always liked Weber quality.

Skullet

Established Member
Green Mountain for me. I love it.
I’ve got the wifi and all the bells and whistles. I’m not sure if I use that stuff enough to justify having it. But I do love the grill.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also I've never had to use it but I've heard that the Green Mountain warranty is top notch.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new Webber pellet grill looks like the shit

It is the shit. A big pile of dog shit.
I love Weber but they screwed the pooch on their debut to the pellet world, big time. Grease fires, controller issues, pellet feeding issues. Wouldnt touch one until they get the bugs worked out.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought my second Green Mountain Grill. I've had a Daniel Boone for a few years and love it so I picked up a Davy Crocket to take in the fish house/camper, to the lake ect. The only issues I've had are bad food temp probes and they have always sent me a new one ASAP. Realistically they probably went bad from me coiling up the cord everytime and putting it in the drawer.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my Camp Chef with the sear box on the side. So versatile and easy to use. Just did a 13 hour cook for pulled pork, checked on the grill once before bed. Camp Chef customer service is awesome as well. I run Lumberjack pellets as well.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
how in the Hell did you're Traeger rust out? Ive had a traeger for many years without any issues. YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET! BTW what company started the pellet grill phenom? I would be very interested into the Weber pellet but Kingsford charcoal on the old kettle ,is really probably one of the best ways to cook any meat, as long as you have the patience and knowhow

traeger might have started it but they have turned to junk, metal is thin and cs is horrible. They used to be the only game in town but have got left in the dust and are not as versatile as all the competition or reliable.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought my second Green Mountain Grill. I've had a Daniel Boone for a few years and love it so I picked up a Davy Crocket to take in the fish house/camper, to the lake ect. The only issues I've had are bad food temp probes and they have always sent me a new one ASAP. Realistically they probably went bad from me coiling up the cord everytime and putting it in the drawer.

Ive had a davey for a couple years now and have had to replace the probes and the board they sent it out as soon as I told them about the problem, I almost think they had an issue as everyone I have talked to has had to replace their board and probes.

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a Traeger now and will be going to Rec Tec for my next one. The Rec Tec is built way better, wifi controls and can hold 40 lbs of pellets at a time which would be awesome for those long smokes. The customer service at Rec Tec is awesome as well. I have a coworker who chose to go Rec Tec over the new Weber and he is glad he did.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a Green Mountain Daniel Boone for about 3 years now and it has been okay. At this point I have replaced about everything electric on it..3 food probes, auger motor, 2 fans, and most recently a control board. GMG has sent me the parts for free other than the control board which was about $100. Mine stays in the garage with a cover and I empty pellets out if it is going to be a while between cooks. I think I will look elsewhere next time and hope for better electronics. Their customer service has been good but I would rather not use it at all.

It might get up to 450 degrees but still doesn't sear a steak or burgers well. Still need a propane rig for that.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had a Green Mountain Daniel Boone for about 3 years now and it has been okay. At this point I have replaced about everything electric on it..3 food probes, auger motor, 2 fans, and most recently a control board. GMG has sent me the parts for free other than the control board which was about $100. Mine stays in the garage with a cover and I empty pellets out if it is going to be a while between cooks. I think I will look elsewhere next time and hope for better electronics. Their customer service has been good but I would rather not use it at all.

It might get up to 450 degrees but still doesn't sear a steak or burgers well. Still need a propane rig for that.

Hmm, that's interesting. I've had mine about the same amount of time and just vacuumed it out for the first time last week. Was noticing I would have to run the start cycle several times to get it going ;:;banghead. Probably supposed to clean it more often I suppose, lol. Otherwise, it sits on our deck, uncovered about 1/3 of the time, pellets are never emptied, and it rode back an forth to the lake for one year in the back of my truck, and yet I've had zero issues with mine. Maybe you should quit taking such good care of yours, lol!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with the Z grill? Been eyeballing one for the camper this summer.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I threw a lump of pork on the Rec-Tec this morning, I'm kind of getting used to this work from home thing :;:rockit So far no problems with the Rec-Tec after 3 years. Didn't know Weber came out with a pellet, boy that thing doesn't have great reviews even on their own website.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ordered the GMG Daniel Boone stainless with wifi. Should arrive next week!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
GMG Daniel Boone owner as well. My only complaint is that I should have gotten the bowie. I have the wifi and thermal blanket on it. I use it all year and have zero issues with temp consistency. I can't say I'd move to another brand but RecTec would be about my only move. Lumberjack pellets are a must. DO NOT throw away your propane grill. The best meat is smoked and then seared for a few minutes. For that reason, I wish GMG would come out with a sear box like the camp chefs.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been happy with my Rec Tec for a few years now. Set it and forget it. Smoked a brisket in sub-zero temps with wind this winter no problem.

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a Pitboss at work, it gets used A BUNCH by allot of guys and it has performed flawlessly.
I agree with Dane, we sear allot of steaks on the Weber yet after smoking them. yum yum

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been reading about the ones you have all mentioned and thank you kindly for all the responses.
Leaning hard toward RecTec now as haven't found any review under 4 stars with most of them 5. Also if one goes with the 700 which is really too big for us but will probably go that route as the 700 has a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty.
The 590 is 4 year and $300. cheaper.
Haven't heard one bad thing about their customer service either. Free shipping over $99.00 also. If you want accessories if you order them with the grill you also get 20% off. Contacted them as 4 accessories we would order are back ordered and asked if they would guarantee 20% off if i would list them (which i did in the email) and they said as soon as they get my order they would email me with the guarantee of getting 20% off on those 4 items when they come in stock!
So now i have to sit down with the Boss and see what she thinks about my idea.
I know Mother's Day is coming up along with her birthday but i don't buy my bride cooking things for those days as i know some men do. Not me as it has to be something special being she keeps putting up with me! :;:exactly

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84