Pellet Grills and Smokers

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
BBJ, you'll be pleased with any model of the Rec Tec grill. The PID is the cats a## for temp control.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm, that's interesting. I've had mine about the same amount of time and just vacuumed it out for the first time last week. Was noticing I would have to run the start cycle several times to get it going ;:;banghead. Probably supposed to clean it more often I suppose, lol. Otherwise, it sits on our deck, uncovered about 1/3 of the time, pellets are never emptied, and it rode back an forth to the lake for one year in the back of my truck, and yet I've had zero issues with mine. Maybe you should quit taking such good care of yours, lol!

I'm in the same boat. I cook year round, granted less in the winter, and I just cleaned mine out for the first time since sometime last year. Never empty the pellets out either and it sits outside with the cover on. Actually, it got rained on last night without the cover on and it seems to be running fine now. I have heard of plenty of electronic failures on these things though.

Smoke On!

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Pitt Boss verticle pellet smoker. Unlike others, I've had nothing but problems with mine. Their customer service is the worst I've seen. Next one will be a Green Mountain.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve also had plenty of trouble with my gmg jim Bowie. The one I bought in November 2019 I had nothing but problems with the auger jamming multiple times and after 2 months the barrel had paint peeling off the outside with rust behind every paint bubble. Got them to replace the whole grill last Monday and get the new one put together and never even fired it up for the initial burn and noticed paint bubbles on this one straight out of the box. Their customer service thinks a good fix is for them to send me a can of their paint and I should sand down the area that’s bubbling and repaint it. No thanks on a brand new grill. Maybe I got shit luck or I’m too fussy but I’ll also look somewhere else next time. I had a traeger before this and never had one problem with it except it didn’t like being plugged into a GFCI. I treat this gmg the same as I did the traeger and it’s nothing but trouble.

Last edited:

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been reading about the ones you have all mentioned and thank you kindly for all the responses.
Leaning hard toward RecTec now as haven't found any review under 4 stars with most of them 5. Also if one goes with the 700 which is really too big for us but will probably go that route as the 700 has a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty.
The 590 is 4 year and $300. cheaper.
Haven't heard one bad thing about their customer service either. Free shipping over $99.00 also. If you want accessories if you order them with the grill you also get 20% off. Contacted them as 4 accessories we would order are back ordered and asked if they would guarantee 20% off if i would list them (which i did in the email) and they said as soon as they get my order they would email me with the guarantee of getting 20% off on those 4 items when they come in stock!
So now i have to sit down with the Boss and see what she thinks about my idea.
I know Mother's Day is coming up along with her birthday but i don't buy my bride cooking things for those days as i know some men do. Not me as it has to be something special being she keeps putting up with me! :;:exactly

If you're leaning Rec Tec, just do it. Besides Yoder and Mak, it is easily a step above all the others mentioned in build quality and controller. I would definitely advise to go with the 700 also. I put one together once and have cooked on one, and if my Yoder ever needs to be replaced I would probably go with Rec Tec now.

bobberdown

my Traeger,may have been "left in the dust" but was purchased in 2010. Don't know if the manufacturing has slipped, but I have not had any issues with mine, Yes it has tripped a breaker once or twice, but otherwise it has been an awesome grill!

Brasmunky

Established Member
I'm just gonna leave this here

Attachments

FB_IMG_1587883121475.jpg

Waterfowler

Rec Tec hands down the best lots of GMG and Traeger guys have switched over they are the standard. I have the Bull 700 RT best money I have ever spent. Best warranty at six years, customer service, PID controller, and most stainless steel.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just placed the order for the RT-700. Now just sit back and wait.
Thanks for all the help and appreciate all your inputs!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
All this talk prompted me to give a pork-shoulder a whirl on "The Egg". I've never tried to prepare a pork shoulder ever, by any method. Depending upon how that goes, perhaps a brisket before the end of the summer?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brisket and smoked beans on a Weber Kettle grill ... all I use is a charcoal Weber. I admit I live in San Jose, CA in the winter, so I do not have to contend with single digit temps to BBQ - and that is a GOOD thing.

PC170510.jpg

PC170511.jpg

The aluminum foil on the coal rails is needed to stop the beans from burning from the radiant heat from the coals.
PC170512.jpg

PC170513.jpg

PC170514.jpg

I put the 2x4 under the leg of the Weber to tilt the grill to get the brisket juices to drain to the back and drip into the baked beans. I also stir the beans every hour or so to get the smoke mixed into all the beans. I only smoke the beans for 4 -5 hours ... any more is too much for us.
PC170515.jpg

Not done yet, but the last pic I took.
PC170516.jpg

Last edited:

bobberdown

like I pre mentioned, that old weber kettle will get the job done!!!

- - - Updated - - -

looks delish!!!

- - - Updated - - -

beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot. the more you toot , the better you feel, so eats some beans for every meal!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought the Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX. We'll see how it performs - first cook of chicken and ribeye was great and I still have much to dial in as this is my first pellet grill. I can only imagine the potential!

I bought it for it's size (over 1200 sq inches), sear function (temp was 635 on high over the sear section, stated temp range 175-650), modular griddle/deep dish/racks option, dump-to-bucket hopper (20 lb capacity), dual adjustable stacks, and robust construction (200+ lbs yet easy to roll around) - and at a price half or less than a bigger name brand.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/rider-dlx-pellet-grill

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93