Pellet Smokers.....which one?

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at purchasing one of these bad grilling/smoking machines in the near future. So far I really like the Rec Tec rt-590, Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie and the Camp Chef Woodwind sg/with sear box. I would like to go with a wifi model but it is not a must as it seems a lot of people have problems with them anyways(my luck i would have problems). Anyways if you have anyone one of these or maybe a line of pellet smokers I have over looked let me know.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pit boss and be done with it. Save some money and use it to put more meat on that bad boy.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been happy with my RecTec for a 4 years now. Had one issue and they are extremely helpful and want to do anything they can to get you taken care of. I have the smaller one. 390 or something like that. Mine feels very heavy duty compared to others i have seen in store or at other people houses.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tossing this around also. I think narrowed down to the Rec Tec 590 or Grilla Grill Silverbac Alpha

- - - Updated - - -

Smokingmeats.com forum has a lot of insight on good, bad, and ugly on most smokers/grills

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a green mountain. No problems at all with it. Do a search on here, there is a lengthy thread on pellet grills from a few weeks back.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Camp Chef SG24 that has the sear box attached to it....and I freaking love it. I was about to pull the trigger on the Woodwind with sear box, but came across a sale price on the SG24 for $400 total, so I went with it. The clean-out mechanism on the Camp Chef is what sold me at the end of the day. Supposedly they keep a more consistent heat than others, but have nothing to compare to.

I don't use the sear box as much as I thought I would....but it gets dang hot and doing the reverse-sear thing is pretty fantastic. Things I've cooked on it so far: steak, chops, chicken (whole and pieces), pulled pork, meat-loaf, mac-n-cheese, pizza, cookies, eggs & potatoes for potato salad, fish, antelope, sausage....sure I'm missing something.

Also have learned a little on the pellets....they really do make a difference on taste and clean-up. Favorite is Lumber Jack Competition and Lumber Jack Pecan.

Good Luck!

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Pitboss 700 and sold it. I had constant problems with grease fires. I also did not get enough smoke flavor out of it. I tried different temps different p settings etc... still no better. I now have an Oklahoma Joe for slower smokes and it has amazing flavor. For quicker cooks I bought a blackstone. I really like it so far.

My parents have a traeger and get great flavor out of theirs so I guess if I was to recommend one it would be a traeger.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Traeger and love it. I can't compare it to any other brand as it's the only pellet grill I've ever used. So, I do like the Traeger but cannot say it's any better than some others. Just find it so easy to use from smoke to grilling. Great flavor and easy to use. Did use it in the winter with a heating blanket (for lack of a better term) and it worked just as well. Used it in an uninsulated garage with very little lingering smoke smell.

Is Traeger the best? Can't claim that without any experience with others. But I do know I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a pitboss in the camper, and a Traeger at home. The little home Traeger is needing an upgrade, I have had nothing but great luck with it.

Looking to purchase a replacement, thinking Traeger is the go to for my past experience, but am open minded to the next best thing.

I have come to love the ease of a pellet grill that will keep temp and take care of itself for the most part.

What do you guys that use smokers recommend, not looking to spend over $2,000

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a RecTeq 590 Stampede guy. Great smoker, have had no issues to date.
About 6 yrs old

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
6 years on a GMG - only issue is the temp probe isn't very accurate. Buddy has the same model with wifi and the same issue but a software update fixed his. I just use an aftermarket probe with remote to solve the issue.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have a pretty good deal right now on the RT 1250 . May be more grill than you need ???

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pitboss I have 8 years on mine and use it a couple times a week. I like I can cook low and slow or open the fire grate and sear at 500 a plus. Brother in law has had two traegers and he won’t get another. Doesn’t get hot enough and uses a shit ton of pellets.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pitboss I have 8 years on mine and use it a couple times a week. I like I can cook low and slow or open the fire grate and sear at 500 a plus. Brother in law has had two traegers and he won’t get another. Doesn’t get hot enough and uses a shit ton of pellets.
My opinion, paying for a name with Traeger. Buddy has one and can't keep temp worth a crap.(Traeger that is )

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 44
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14