Pickup Shopping

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't purchase the 8 ft box when I bought my F250, as it was to long for my garage. I have since moved and feel as though I will be needing the longer box, being it will now fit.
Love my buddies, that extra foot and a half makes a huge difference when pulling the camper, and hauling big stuff.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much lower gear ratio than 4:30 do you want? That's the only one offered for any Tundra.

I agree with Longshot, a Crewmax w/6.5' box would have me looking pretty hard.
Meant higher ratios 3:70 etc. 4:30 only is just plain stupid.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Longshot,GM's 1500 crew is available in two box sizes,5'8 and 6.5 in length,the 5.3 puts out 355Hp but if your concerned about more power bump up to the 6.2lit powertrain.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dodge;
Just bought another one and have my 2005 3/4 ton for sale. If it does not sell wives run around town car is a 98 Jimmy and that will go down the road for whatever price and she will then use the 2005 for her run around town vehicle.

But my Dodge 1997 3/4 ton (option on makes it a one ton), positive traction, 4.10 gears, Cummings, five speed with 80000 miles (it will leave me when the kids take it away from me or I die).

I go to the local morning meeting room (elevator) and the boys all there start their crab about Dodge. They even said they would pull me all over town if we back up to each other.
So the next day I take the wrap off the 97 Dodge, fire it up and then I go to that their local meeting room for all the farmers and ranchers each morning (must be two dozen pick-ups there). Drive up inside on the scale. Go inside to the office and drop the rope in front of all and said I will be waiting out front just bring the rope.
Waited for about 15 minutes. Not one chevy, ford, gmc, toyota lover came out.

Talk is cheap and life is good. db

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plus GM gave the American public a tremendous FU as well as giving the bond holders a multi-cavity screw job. What's not to love???

Agreed.

Not to turn political, but its a bunch of sour grapes for me too

Pretty sure it was the UAW union that did the most damage to cause that not GM's full fault. The entitlement nation in action. Looking at SUVs one can easily see the union influence in the price of vehicles, all American SUVs are easily 5k-10k more than the non union built foreign vehicles and for no better quality.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because i'm not pulling sequoia stumps from the ground. I only pull a 16" aluminum boat and an ATV. 4:30 gears make about as much sense for me as a 3/4 ton diesel. It may work for some but for f sakes give me a choice. 4:30 gears and no bench seat eliminated Toyota quickly from my search. Today's consumers want choices, and we speak with our checkbook.

Why can every other brand offer higher gears, better mileage, and equal or higher towing than Toyota?

- - - Updated - - -

Some towing comparisons
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/0...uck-for-towing-2016-texas-truck-showdown.html

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/half-ton-shootout-5-trucks-5-days-1-winner/

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Because i'm not pulling sequoia stumps from the ground. I only pull a 16" aluminum boat and an ATV. 4:30 gears make about as much sense for me as a 3/4 ton diesel. It may work for some but for f sakes give me a choice. 4:30 gears and no bench seat eliminated Toyota quickly from my search. Today's consumers want choices, and we speak with our checkbook.

Why can every other brand offer higher gears, better mileage, and equal or higher towing than Toyota?

- - - Updated - - -

Some towing comparisons
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/0...uck-for-towing-2016-texas-truck-showdown.html

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/half-ton-shootout-5-trucks-5-days-1-winner/

To each their own. My Yota is a gas hog, but it also pulls really well. I pull a fiberglass boat and/or a 27' 5th wheel camper. Gas mileage is an after-thought for me.

Used to be a Chevy guy, but I am fully converted to Yota. I believe in the motor and drive train.

I drive Ford for work, and my whole family is Chevy. they are all nice IMO. To me, in my opinion, Toyota is the best "old school" quality.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer Toyota for the lack of choices…it’s my truck my everyday truck that I drive around town and to and from work…however if I need to use it as a truck I can without hesitation…I looked hard at Fords before I bought my Tundra and honestly it was extremely overwhelming (in the used market) every different trim level has like 4 different sub levels of bells whistles and things…very hard to compare apples to apples when searching online and deciding which dealer to drive to for a test drive…Tundra’s are simple and the limited and/or platinum are plenty loaded…now is it perfect, no tiny fuel tank is my biggest gripe…but the overall compromises paled in comparison to the headache of looking for that perfect used truck with other brands….

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW, I really like the way my 6.2 GMC tows the toys. 21 foot glass boat, 4000+lb fish house, etc. You can go as fast as you dare in any condition and MPGs while empty are pretty darn good for a big V8. I will be getting another when this one gets traded.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Longshot,GM's 1500 crew is available in two box sizes,5'8 and 6.5 in length,the 5.3 puts out 355Hp but if your concerned about more power bump up to the 6.2lit powertrain.

Hows the 6.2 in terms of increased tow capacity over the 5.3? Also, how is the 6.2 holding up in terms of longevity with pulling? I've heard aluminum block doesnt fair as well over time and i drive my vehicles for roughly 10 years so thats important. Like i said, would you be comfortable towing triples? I'm under 10k lbs, but still.....is the 6.0 a better option? If so, i'm back at a 3/4 which isnt ideal either.

Thanks for the info.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dodge;
Just bought another one and have my 2005 3/4 ton for sale. If it does not sell wives run around town car is a 98 Jimmy and that will go down the road for whatever price and she will then use the 2005 for her run around town vehicle.

But my Dodge 1997 3/4 ton (option on makes it a one ton), positive traction, 4.10 gears, Cummings, five speed with 80000 miles (it will leave me when the kids take it away from me or I die).

I go to the local morning meeting room (elevator) and the boys all there start their crab about Dodge. They even said they would pull me all over town if we back up to each other.
So the next day I take the wrap off the 97 Dodge, fire it up and then I go to that their local meeting room for all the farmers and ranchers each morning (must be two dozen pick-ups there). Drive up inside on the scale. Go inside to the office and drop the rope in front of all and said I will be waiting out front just bring the rope.
Waited for about 15 minutes. Not one chevy, ford, gmc, toyota lover came out.

Talk is cheap and life is good. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Now there is a positive altitude.

I put a ram on my hood and it is surprising what that does for one when you sit behind the steering wheel. My running lights shine down on that ram's ass at night and it's like the guys with their Harley, their pipes and the bitch in the back. One mean machine.
thanks for the video wild and free, it is all good. Can not wait for the spring to fire my old Goldwing up and ride up next to them there Harley like I do with the Dodge and them their other vehicles. db

- - - Updated - -

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
First time for me really being in the market for a newer vehicle - do you usually find the best financing right through the dealer? through your bank? shop around?

It's usually best through the dealer with 0% or the like. You usually give up a cash back option though, so you have to figure that into the equation as well.

Times are changing a bit with the interest rates but if given the option of 0% or cash back, I have found it best to take the cash back and then refinance through the best option I found online. Many local banks or credit unions have had new vehicle loans at 1.5-2% for the last 5 years or so.

If you run the numbers this is usually the best bet. But it all depends on the manufacturer rebates and incentives at this time.

- - - Updated - - -

I have some experience in F-150 purchasing and IMO the best time to buy one is August or September. At that time they have introduced what the next model year will be, however dealers can still place a custom order for the current year. So you see some of the best available manufacturer rebates and incentives and you can order the truck with exactly what you want and don't want.

Very real possibility to get to a sale price of $15k off of the window sticker.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thank goodness! Another Ram owner. Starting to feel left out, or even a little gay. Drove Chevys/gmc for years. Got a new (then) 2015 Tahoe for work ride and just did not like the interior, so when it was time to trade my 2003 GMC Sierra crew, I thought, what the hell, try the Ram. Laramie with 5.7 and all the bells and whistles. I am fairly impressed, so far.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank goodness! Another Ram owner. Starting to feel left out, or even a little gay. Drove Chevys/gmc for years. Got a new (then) 2015 Tahoe for work ride and just did not like the interior, so when it was time to trade my 2003 GMC Sierra crew, I thought, what the hell, try the Ram. Laramie with 5.7 and all the bells and whistles. I am fairly impressed, so far.

So there's 2 gays???? ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51