Pickup toppers

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a topper for a 2021 F150 (6.5' box). Had a Leer on my last pickup that I bought used on the cheap. I prefer the look of the frameless side windows. Open to suggestions on make/models and dealers. These things have gotten incredibly expensive! Closer to GF the better. thanks

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
A.R.E. all the way. Leer, Century, and Snugtop are all owned by the same conglomerate. And the quality has gone downhill big time

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check topper dealer in area's we have like 4 places in Bismarck might have used stuff too. I lovedmy Leer's put they are 5 and 22 years old as said above maybe getting cheaper built.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know everything has risen in price, but i agree that toppers have gotten crazy. They are convenient as hell but getting hard to justify after the price of vehicles already high. Especially when they dont bring much for resale.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A.R.E. all the way. Leer, Century, and Snugtop are all owned by the same conglomerate. And the quality has gone downhill big time
A.R.E. gets the vote for me too. Wouldn't be without a topper. Anything else seems like a PITA in snow country.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know everything has risen in price, but i agree that toppers have gotten crazy. They are convenient as hell but getting hard to justify after the price of vehicles already high. Especially when they dont bring much for resale.
I agree. I tend to hang on to vehicles for quite a while so a little easier pill to swallow. If I traded trucks every 2-3 years it would probably be out of the question for me. Finding a used one is tough on a body style that has only been out for 2 years. To get it painted to match would probably close to $1,000 by itself?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya that sounds about right. I had one painted about 10 yrs ago at Puklich for 500, so based off that....

The last one I found used happened to be ARE color matched (unicorn) with yakima racks and flip open windows and the guy through in a decked box system with it for $1500. I had to drive damn near to idaho to get it but I was still money ahead. Found it on craigslist.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had one, but think I would just buy a suburban iffn I wanted a limit on what I could haul. Then all that stuff I pack around in the box would be in a heated cab, and less dusty.
Bedrug is pretty much dust proof.

Bro has a suburban - sometimes it’s nice that what you’re hauling is in the vehicle with you climate controlled - other times it’s sucks

something that smells, wild game in late fall/winter stays cold, something is long enough it needs to hang out back window, yadda

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Work truck has an AAE topper and a Decked System. Always thought this setup would be nice for personal use till I ran 1.5yr on it (going on 3.5yrs now) and found out I don't care for it that much for at least my work needs. I'm not bashing the setup it is I have found the give and takes associated with it and it doesn't fit my personal needs as well. Part of it could be because the windows have side boxes in them so can't access anything from the sides so have to climb through the back. Both topper and deck system are well made for sure but my window latches have got gummed up from dust which is easily cleaned and remedied the drawers of the deck system have held up great, neither are as dust proof as one would hope.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering why I rarely see toppers anymore. Must be due to price

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see them all the time.

People dropping absolutely stupid big $$$$ on a new truck - then they turn around and expect same pricing as what they paid for toppers 20 years ago?

make it make sense 😜

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had A.R.E. on my last truck, color matched from factory still looked good 14 years later when I sold it.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see them all the time.

People dropping absolutely stupid big $$$$ on a new truck - then they turn around and expect same pricing as what they paid for toppers 20 years ago?

make it make sense 😜
Nothing makes sense anymore to me. I am just to filpin' old, ornery and mean. Opps that was an old country song.

In the early 80's I made 2 trips to hunt Mule Deer in Montana. One trip to Wyoming for Antelope.
A used 1974 Ford 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive $800. A used topper with
walk in door in the back $600.
3 of us. Way too much fun!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive bought all my toppers from new vision in grand forks. always get side opening windows, and shelf 2/3rds, pretty much the only way i can get all my stuff in a 5.5 foot box.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nothing makes sense anymore to me. I am just to filpin' old, ornery and mean. Opps that was an old country song.

In the early 80's I made 2 trips to hunt Mule Deer in Montana. One trip to Wyoming for Antelope.
A used 1974 Ford 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive $800. A used topper with
walk in door in the back $600.
3 of us. Way too much fun!
Did the girls get any hunt time? LB

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had toppers on work truck with flip up side windows and they were very handy. My last personal truck had the frameless side windows that do not flip up and that is what I prefer for my personnel truck. They look much nicer IMO. I rarely have to crawl my fat ass in there to retrieve something. I have an aluminum stick with a hook that I can snag stuff with to pull it towards me. Locally I have ARE and Leer to choose from. ARE at Berts in EGF priced them selves out of by budget so leaning towards Leer from New Vision. XL or XQ models.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Work truck has an AAE topper and a Decked System. Always thought this setup would be nice for personal use till I ran 1.5yr on it (going on 3.5yrs now) and found out I don't care for it that much for at least my work needs. I'm not bashing the setup it is I have found the give and takes associated with it and it doesn't fit my personal needs as well. Part of it could be because the windows have side boxes in them so can't access anything from the sides so have to climb through the back. Both topper and deck system are well made for sure but my window latches have got gummed up from dust which is easily cleaned and remedied the drawers of the deck system have held up great, neither are as dust proof as one would hope.
I'm also interested in the Decked system. Can you elaborate a little more on what you didn't like about it? Any others here have a Decked system and care to comment? Thanks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy Pile of Sheckles Batman. For the price of some of these toppers, I'd be considering a small enclosed trailer. Wow! Hope you find one that doesn't break the bank. Good Luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84