Pickup toppers

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I paid $900 for a Leer in 1993. It's still sitting on end in my lawn shed. I think I should advertise it. You guys up on prices do you think I could get $300 for it now? Chev 6.5 box.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I paid $900 for a Leer in 1993. It's still sitting on end in my lawn shed. I think I should advertise it. You guys up on prices do you think I could get $300 for it now? Chev 6.5 box.
probably

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm also interested in the Decked system. Can you elaborate a little more on what you didn't like about it? Any others here have a Decked system and care to comment? Thanks
The only real problem relating to the decked system I have is it is difficult to clean when dust and dirt that gets trapped where ever there is a gap between it and the box and I wish the drawers were a little better dust sealed. for the drawers there is no drain plug so trying to was the inside of them requires a shop vac to remove any water, this can be remedied by putting in your own drain plug too. Otherwise it is very well built, the drawers have big wheels that look similar to skateboard wheels, slide very easy with the moderate weight I have put in and good latches. The top deck seems plenty strong for most normal loads one would put on it, and it was easy to install, tool boxes you can get for them are pretty nice and fit perfect.
I think the biggest thing is for my use it just isn't the right fit for my day in and day out job and if I had a 1/2 ton for myself it would be fine for somethings till I needed to load a deer or wrestle a fish house up into there.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes toppers are about the same price as an enclosed trailer now but who wants to haul around a trailer?

I really like the topper and deck system together. With the deck system in and flip open windows is a must because everything is at arm level in the box. How often do you use the top foot of your topper space? Rarely. This just uses the space better in my opinion. Open the window and don't have to reach into the armpit to reach something in the bottom of the box and it helps me organize all my "truck" gear like jacks, tow ropes, jumper cables, etc. In the fall one side is truck recovery stuff and the other is hunting gear. Can rig them up so the guns lay nice and padded in there. Lock the drawers or tailgate and its secure. With a topper I havent had any of the water issues ever. They stay dry, but dust yes, just as dusty as anything else with a topper on dirt roads. The deck is strong. without a topper I believe you can load atv's on them and everything. Built well. Also, the dog loves it back there at window height.

I would not have purchased a deck box if it wasn't thrown in when i bought the topper, but on my next truck I would really miss not having it.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could always be cheap like me and build a raised platform. I sleep in the box of my pickup every weekend from September 1 until Thanksgiving weekend each year though.
IMG_0691.jpeg

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had the ARE Classic installed on my GMC yesterday in Fargo. Have had Access tonneau covers on previous trucks and purchased one for my 2023 only to decide in October that I would like more box storage. Generally keep trucks for 8 years / 100k+ miles, so while cost to purchase stings a bit, I am OK with it if the topper lasts 8-9 years. Had to order through Line-X in West Fargo as there is not an ARE dealer in Bis-Man. Now I have a 3 month old Access cover to sell. Looking forward o he extra gear storage.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see them all the time.

People dropping absolutely stupid big $$$$ on a new truck - then they turn around and expect same pricing as what they paid for toppers 20 years ago?

make it make sense 😜

Pickups have had some pretty impressive technology and advances in performance, audio, comforts, etc. A topper is still just a fancy box that straps unto your box to make a bigger box. Not a ton of advances in fiberglass, and carpeting.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could always be cheap like me and build a raised platform. I sleep in the box of my pickup every weekend from September 1 until Thanksgiving weekend each year though.
IMG_0691.jpeg
Why?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pickups have had some pretty impressive technology and advances in performance, audio, comforts, etc. A topper is still just a fancy box that straps unto your box to make a bigger box. Not a ton of advances in fiberglass, and carpeting.
Some prefer their box carpeted and others like them smooth. :rolleyes:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a truck with an ARE topper this summer. It is my first truck with a topper. It is taking some getting used to; but it is awesome to pack it for tournaments compared to running a tonneau cover like I always have. It has the drop down storage bin from the ceiling which is handy and locks secure with the door locks of the truck. It has challenges with hauling some stuff; but we have 3 trucks in the fleet so I can still manage.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
With my Leer topper I did carpet options roof and bottom bought tailgate seal kit and plastic plugs to plug hole in floor's. Stays darn clean and I do clean it once a year. No side door opening only sliding windows all three sides. I truly love the protection from weather. Rhino lined whole bed too. I do not pull fifth wheeler no more just bumper hitch 28' car trailer for hunting or classis car and Ice castle for that hunting and fishing.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a pickup topper guy also, my first pickup had a topper and now even though my 2013 ford had a tonneau cover, I went and picked up a candy apple red topper on a silver pewter colored truck. Sticks out like a sore thumb but it was a good price and the only one available that I could find. Now I'm dealing with finding parts to fix the all glass frameless door it's difficult since like many have stated the a.r.e, century, and leer are all made by the same manufacturer. But when you don't have an inside manufacturer plate with a serial number it's really difficult to find exact parts. And when you don't have a plate, it's nearly impossible to get any kind of customer support, because if they don't have a serial number they can't look up the parts I need. Oh well life goes on.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In 2007 I bought a new Ford extended cab with 8' box. Put a highrise fiberglass topper on it so I could haul my paint sprayers and texture sprayers around. After I retired I made a bed frame on one side over the wheel well and me and pooch used that a lot when fishing on over night runs out west' Saved a lot on motel bills. Basically paid for itself that way. LB

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
ARE is back in the mix after getting more favorable pricing from Fargo Line-X. Does anyone have first hand experience with the CX Revo model? I believe it is fairly new. I have it narrowed down between that or the Leer XL which gets bonus point for being available locally in GF.

1702904671414.png

1702904775032.png

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mating surfaces of the rear window and the “whale tail” of the tailgate of the truck is important. In 2014 Leer’s was absolute garbage while ARE’s was bulletproof and kept snow, mud, grime off the tailgate so that when you dropped it the tailgate’s surface was clean - the grime stayed on the rear window of the topper and NOT on you if you brushed up against the tailgate. My friend’s Leer of the same year didn’t protect the tailgate and fell apart a couple years later.

Not sure if it’s still the case - but it’s one of those little things that matter - a lot.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mating surfaces of the rear window and the “whale tail” of the tailgate of the truck is important. In 2014 Leer’s was absolute garbage while ARE’s was bulletproof and kept snow, mud, grime off the tailgate so that when you dropped it the tailgate’s surface was clean - the grime stayed on the rear window of the topper and NOT on you if you brushed up against the tailgate. My friend’s Leer of the same year didn’t protect the tailgate and fell apart a couple years later.

Not sure if it’s still the case - but it’s one of those little things that matter - a lot.
my 21 F150 has a pretty defined "whale tail". The Leer has a flat rear window but has a built in plastic piece attached to the bottom that is molded to fit over the top of the tailgate to protect against what you describe. The ARE CX Revo model has a "bubble" rear window which follows the contour of the whale tail. I'm not sure which one would seal better and protect from the elements.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my 21 F150 has a pretty defined "whale tail". The Leer has a flat rear window but has a built in plastic piece attached to the bottom that is molded to fit over the top of the tailgate to protect against what you describe. The ARE CX Revo model has a "bubble" rear window which follows the contour of the whale tail. I'm not sure which one would seal better and protect from the elements.
If they both protect the top of the gate then the next issue to examine is ruggedness.

The ARE entire back window frame was rugged fiberglass - the Leer parts used to be separate chunks of plastic. Those various parts broke ALL THE TIME if frozen chunks got slammed into the gap between the window and the tailgate or if owner needed to get into the back when welded shut with ice, etc.

I know on mine the little shelf of fiberglass that forms to protect the whale's tail can get a few inches of ice/snow that makes it too heavy for air shocks to hold the window up. It can be very irritating - and a guy doesn't want to go smashing the ice/snow because it might damage something.

It seems like the new "bubble" design would maybe allow far less snow/ice to accumulate on the bottom of the window since there's no prominent shelf? Preventing that "heavy shelf" effect?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88