Pinewood Derby Time!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 8 year old is in Cub Scouts and the Pinewood Derby is quickly approaching. I have two kits and some tools along with a couple brain children ready to breath air. Any good stories? Any good tips?

:cool:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
are they still the same kit from the 70s? block of wood axles and skinny plastic wheels? I always went with the wedge shape weighted in the front end.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Make sure your kid has the most work in the car. Offer advice, and let him build it. Weight a little forward and smooth running wheels are key.

Bohica

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weight in the back as it creates the most potential energy. Streamline to reduce air resistance. Only have three wheels touching track to reduce friction. Polish your nails. Use graphite for lubrication

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We routed a couple channels into the bottom of my car, melted some lead, filled the channels then shaved off weight until we made weight.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The key to a good soap box race is to look good regardless of the outcome. A mean paint job on the car, a cool outfit, and scary helmet are essential to the success of the event. Good luck, take pictures, and then share them Please. I love these kinds of things.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just run with it. Its all about Father -Son time and having fun.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let your kid do most of the build/paint job and race. I always found it bullshit to see a souped up batmobile type car and the dad cheering it on with the kid not really giving a flying f about the whole thing. Don't be that dad... And yes, your weight distribution and smooth wheels are the key

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
While you're waiting for rules, have some mini-logo's made up. Ranger, Loomis, St. Croix, Rapala, Salmo, and UND Fighting Sioux.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to love this when I was a young lad. Dad let us do whatever we wanted to cars from design to paint. My last year competing and having learned from years prior I built a very streamlined car with weight in the rear. Requested Dads help with weight location and balance. Mounted washers in the rear under the car to make weight. Dad still made us do all the work. Graphite for lubrication on wheels (Dad's idea). Cant remember if it was Co2 cars from shop class or soap box, but I also used small straws pressed through the wood for easier turning axles. Thinking about it now, I think maybe that was a Co2 car where the axles turned. Either way, good luck and remember to have fun. I still remember making it through our local competition and moving on to a regional race. The evidence of Dads and Grandpas building 100% the car was ridiculous. The old guys were more competitive than the kids. I still finished high, but was disappointed not to win. Being beat by kids half my age with near perfect cars sucked, but as my Dad told me after the race, I wasn't beat by a single kid that day. He still has my car from that year in the shop.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no Fighting Sioux

There will be Fighting Sioux until the last Alum to attend/graduate from UND when that name was "The Name" has passed away.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34