Pittbull breed, what do you think?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Belgian malls, Dutch Shepards both scare me more than pits they are smart and calculating and could rip your head of as fast or faster. The big breeds they use as kill dogs for hunting. My brother has a female Great Dane that until she got used to me I was aware with. I’ve never had a dog with aggression problems but dealt with some and with out question I could trace it back to genetics or owner. It’s a trait that can be bred out along with separation anxiety. My friend had an Akita that I was the only one who could feed her when he was gone she was a fricken nut I never turned my back on her. But that was because her mother was crazy and should have never been bred. Huskys are a cock sucker to have an aggressive one now that I’m helping trying to fix. The dog I’m most scared of is a heeler at a farm house they are some biting mother f ers. I’m never going to own a pit but don’t think they should be banned but I believe every dog needs to be held to a standard. In the end sometimes dogs do dog shit saw it this weekend with one of the best dogs to run in the retriever world wouldn’t have thought he ever picked a duck up his whole life. If your going to own a big powerful dog it comes with a big responsibility.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are so many not-bred-for-fighting dogs out there that will still love and protect their humans that I see no need for pits, rotts, or other guard/attack dogs in the home.

That being said, the last dog to actually bite me with intent was one of my sister's chihuahuas. I made it quite clear that if it happened again she would be down a dog. Having known me her entire life, anytime I needed to stop by she made sure to lock it up.

I HATE SHITTY DOGS! Regardless of the reason they are shitty.

Bobkat

Established Member
Used to be active on NOdak, quit for a few years but logged back in to p email a friend with advice about his current problem, then saw Lucan’s thread about PITBULLS!
since retiring and travelling a lot and visiting many many off leash dog parks with our English Cocker, probably the most non violent or non aggressive dog ever whelped, UNLESS YOU ATE A PHEASANT OR RELATED SPECIES!
I was walking home after night fishin a few years ago in Arizona with my little mutt at leash, when out of nowhere two PITBULLS ran out of the dark and attacked, one grabbing my dog by the neck and the other latching on to her thigh. I grabbed my dog and held her with my left arm as high as I could, lifting both pits into the air but they still held on, doing their best to bite and chew. With my right hand all I could do was form a sort of fist an repeatedly clobber first one then the other dog with no avail. The bigger one figured out when my fist was arriving and learned quickly to open its jaws to do its best to take a hunk out of my hand. I wished I had anything for defense - I had been using a screwdriver on my boat a few minutes before and wished I’d had it still with me. I’d have killed both those dogs in an instant! Even if there had been just one I could have dropped my dog and leaped on one and either strangled it or bashed its head into the concrete. My dog was screaming, (Me too but I won’t repeat what I said) anda bunch of people appeared to help, a couple armed.
The dogs owner, (turned out to be a lady lawyer) just stood there yelling at me “Don’t hurt my dogs,,”. Both dogs had long leashes she had dropped and all she had to do was pull them off but she just yelled threats and curses at me, and my wife who heard our dog screamin a block away from inside the house andf down to help.
To make a long story short I finally got the one dog off by crushing its foot repeatedlygainst the sidewalk, then ran like hell with my dog back to our rental place. The second dog ultimately fell off.
We called the city animal control people and security and police arrived. Big meeting with all our community members the next day, with over half armed and wanted to shoot those pits! Bottom line after days of threats from them “If you start anything from this I’ll finish it!). She was active politically so didn’t even have her dogs kicked out of the place! Wasn’t even warned!
what was even WORSE (I and my dog got patched and stitched up) it turned out she was an avid antivaxer and we think she hadn’t had her dogs rabies vaccinated even though it was a state law, etc. I told her all I wanted was proof of vaccination but though even the animal control people demanded it too, she never did and refused - she seemed to indicate she was above the law and didn’t have to! So I had to have my three rabies vaccinations at 100 Bucks apiece and she even refused to pay that!!! Or any medical or get stuff! To this day, she still has the sane pits and unfortunately their place is by the marina so any of us taking our dogs fishing generally are armed with various things. I even carry my .380 sometimes in case history wants to repeat itself. Screw drivers, switch blades, stun guns - hat ever is handy…..

Last year I saw another PITBULLS attackin the dog park and a guy pulled a .380 and was really close to snuffing that damned dog. He showed it to me, a nice Kel Tec. A bit fancier than my lil Ruger but either will do the job.

in Al our many many trips to dog parks we’ve witnessed so many pit attacks, one fatal on a black lab, that we avoid any parks where we see one of,them.
lycan said it best -they are good nice dogs until they aren’t! I’m sure pheasants would say that about my bird dog too. But both species are simply doing what they have been bred to do for hundreds of years. My spaniel with birds, pits with other dogs, their only purpose was to kill the other dog in the ring. Sooner or later under the right circumstances both species are going to do what they are genetically programmed to to! Chase a bird or kill another dog.
I love all dogs, other than pits. How can you tell? The only good thing to come of this is that if a reader and I ever get into,a,fight and I,bite you, you won’t get rabies! LOL

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to be active on NOdak, quit for a few years but logged back in to p email a friend with advice about his current problem, then saw Lucan’s thread about PITBULLS!
since retiring and travelling a lot and visiting many many off leash dog parks with our English Cocker, probably the most non violent or non aggressive dog ever whelped, UNLESS YOU ATE A PHEASANT OR RELATED SPECIES!
I was walking home after night fishin a few years ago in Arizona with my little mutt at leash, when out of nowhere two PITBULLS ran out of the dark and attacked, one grabbing my dog by the neck and the other latching on to her thigh. I grabbed my dog and held her with my left arm as high as I could, lifting both pits into the air but they still held on, doing their best to bite and chew. With my right hand all I could do was form a sort of fist an repeatedly clobber first one then the other dog with no avail. The bigger one figured out when my fist was arriving and learned quickly to open its jaws to do its best to take a hunk out of my hand. I wished I had anything for defense - I had been using a screwdriver on my boat a few minutes before and wished I’d had it still with me. I’d have killed both those dogs in an instant! Even if there had been just one I could have dropped my dog and leaped on one and either strangled it or bashed its head into the concrete. My dog was screaming, (Me too but I won’t repeat what I said) anda bunch of people appeared to help, a couple armed.
The dogs owner, (turned out to be a lady lawyer) just stood there yelling at me “Don’t hurt my dogs,,”. Both dogs had long leashes she had dropped and all she had to do was pull them off but she just yelled threats and curses at me, and my wife who heard our dog screamin a block away from inside the house andf down to help.
To make a long story short I finally got the one dog off by crushing its foot repeatedlygainst the sidewalk, then ran like hell with my dog back to our rental place. The second dog ultimately fell off.
We called the city animal control people and security and police arrived. Big meeting with all our community members the next day, with over half armed and wanted to shoot those pits! Bottom line after days of threats from them “If you start anything from this I’ll finish it!). She was active politically so didn’t even have her dogs kicked out of the place! Wasn’t even warned!
what was even WORSE (I and my dog got patched and stitched up) it turned out she was an avid antivaxer and we think she hadn’t had her dogs rabies vaccinated even though it was a state law, etc. I told her all I wanted was proof of vaccination but though even the animal control people demanded it too, she never did and refused - she seemed to indicate she was above the law and didn’t have to! So I had to have my three rabies vaccinations at 100 Bucks apiece and she even refused to pay that!!! Or any medical or get stuff! To this day, she still has the sane pits and unfortunately their place is by the marina so any of us taking our dogs fishing generally are armed with various things. I even carry my .380 sometimes in case history wants to repeat itself. Screw drivers, switch blades, stun guns - hat ever is handy…..

Last year I saw another PITBULLS attackin the dog park and a guy pulled a .380 and was really close to snuffing that damned dog. He showed it to me, a nice Kel Tec. A bit fancier than my lil Ruger but either will do the job.

in Al our many many trips to dog parks we’ve witnessed so many pit attacks, one fatal on a black lab, that we avoid any parks where we see one of,them.
lycan said it best -they are good nice dogs until they aren’t! I’m sure pheasants would say that about my bird dog too. But both species are simply doing what they have been bred to do for hundreds of years. My spaniel with birds, pits with other dogs, their only purpose was to kill the other dog in the ring. Sooner or later under the right circumstances both species are going to do what they are genetically programmed to to! Chase a bird or kill another dog.
I love all dogs, other than pits. How can you tell? The only good thing to come of this is that if a reader and I ever get into,a,fight and I,bite you, you won’t get rabies! LOL

Well look what the cat dragged in...

I also had my lab cross attacked by a pitt near bismarck several years ago, if you think you will be able to separate 2 dogs with your bare hands, dont be so sure of yourself, I beat this dog, who had my dogs neck in its mouth, bloody with my fist before someone finally brought a wooden oar over and beat it on top of the head till it let go. Owner was there the whole time and she couldnt get it to quit either. These animals are scary... If I go to a dog park now Im usually packing or at the very least carrying a blade, in case something were to happen. Most have signs that say no guns allowed but FUCK that, the only reason for those signs are so people cannot defend their dogs in case of an attack...

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
every dog was breed for certain jobs, how many husky owners have you heard say great dog but let it off the leash and its gone, so many pits have been bred for fighting thats what they know yet people keep getting them. I had a dog boarding kennel for 7 years had a few pits never had a problem but treated them differently than any other dog. The only dog that was banned was a chessie that bit the wife 3 times. I really dont see why anybody would need a pit.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Druggy neighbor who lives down the street ( corner of Sibley Dr & S. 12th street - the road to Apple creek WMA ) had 2 pits which would aggressively harass the neighbor across the street to the point he would have to mow his own lawn with a handgun on his side. He was served a letter from the judge stating if these dogs were out again and acting in a threatening manner a deputy would be dispatched and the dogs would be killed. When the clown received the notice he grabbed one of his own pits and killed it in front of the neighbor who filed the complaint, not sure what happened to the other. That was a couple years ago and now this same Druggy has 3 pits that have been running loose lately harassing the neighborhood. A couple weeks ago they were in our horse pasture and I had to chase them away. When I yelled at them 2 of them took off running but the 3rd came towards me so I turned around and went into the house to grab the gun I keep handy for coyotes but when I got back outside the dog was gone. I am sure it is only a matter of time before we have an incident with these dogs in the neighborhood. If I had my way both the dogs and neighbor would be gone from the area.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Druggy neighbor who lives down the street ( corner of Sibley Dr & S. 12th street - the road to Apple creek WMA ) had 2 pits which would aggressively harass the neighbor across the street to the point he would have to mow his own lawn with a handgun on his side. He was served a letter from the judge stating if these dogs were out again and acting in a threatening manner a deputy would be dispatched and the dogs would be killed. When the clown received the notice he grabbed one of his own pits and killed it in front of the neighbor who filed the complaint, not sure what happened to the other. That was a couple years ago and now this same Druggy has 3 pits that have been running loose lately harassing the neighborhood. A couple weeks ago they were in our horse pasture and I had to chase them away. When I yelled at them 2 of them took off running but the 3rd came towards me so I turned around and went into the house to grab the gun I keep handy for coyotes but when I got back outside the dog was gone. I am sure it is only a matter of time before we have an incident with these dogs in the neighborhood. If I had my way both the dogs and neighbor would be gone from the area.

a well placed snare might be in order... I cant imagine the fight a pit would give in a snare, probably need a wire 2x thicker than what youd need for coyotes...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dog parks are just looking for a reason to have problems. 95% of the dogs there poorly trained and owners even worse at controlling their poorly trained dog. Dont go to them save your self the trouble.

This sounds bad but you want to break up a dog fight just stick your finger in the dogs ass thats doing the biting and he will quit.

look at what every story has in common owners are shit bags. regardless of breed bad owners equal bad dogs its simple.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dog parks are just looking for a reason to have problems. 95% of the dogs there poorly trained and owners even worse at controlling their poorly trained dog. Dont go to them save your self the trouble.

This sounds bad but you want to break up a dog fight just stick your finger in the dogs ass thats doing the biting and he will quit.

look at what every story has in common owners are shit bags. regardless of breed bad owners equal bad dogs its simple.

The woman who owned the pitt that attacked my dog wasnt a dirtbag, she was probably lower than average income but she had 3 kids with her camping at the dessert and she claimed she had the dog since it was a puppy and she had never seen it be aggressive before. She was crying during and after the event and was somewhat distraught because she said now shes scared to have the dog around her kids... Play stupid games I guess

I know another person who had a pitt in bismarck who also had it since it was a puppy, family pet, solid middle class in decent neighborhood. One day the pitt attacked a delivery man and he had to get many stitches, they got rid of the dog immediately afterward, not sure if they put it down or what though...

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

A statement like this requires and explanation on how you know this works

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member

There has to be some kind of story behind this action. Someone was getting attacked by a dog and their first survival instinct was to stick a finger in the dogs ass, I’d be a little scared of this person.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
The jaw locking is a urban myth. I can go down the list of dogs normal lazy people should not own. It would include high drive sporting dogs. It makes me sick seeing all the fat labs and then to have these same idiots tell me my dog is skinny. The pet industry has ruined a lot of good breeds along with back yard breeder. Throw hounds in there to locked up as just a pet is just like crushing their spirit. I believe it come back to owner 99% of the time.

Think I have to disagree but...not sure. I do agree that dogs like people are a product of their environment. So yes, the owner has a huge effect on dogs/pets' personalities and behaviors. However, instinct is instinct. What they were originally created and bred for has a huge factor in behaviors. Ex... a fat lab that is owned by a city dweller may have a drive to fetch a lot or even chase robins on its walks. Pitbulls may have an instinct to fight and attack. I think we've all read cases where a Pitbull was the nicest neighborhood pet for years. Then out of the blue it violently attacked neighbors 4 yrs old. Take chessies. They often have a surly streak. They were originally bred to guard the days hunt. Often, they are still surly.
Just saying....i think instinct has a large part to do with it.

I will say my brother has a sharpei/pitbull mix. About 60 lbs. Extremely sweet dog. About 9 yrs old. She likes to play tug of war with stuffed animal. Unreal her jaw strength and how it just locks. Feels so different from my 3 labs. Can just feel the power in her jaws and neck/shoulders. Just a different feel.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Maybe he's has experience in that type of thing. Or maybe he got in a fight and someone stuck a finger in his ass and he stopped fighting. So he figures the same thing will happen with dogs.;:;popcorn

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A statement like this requires and explanation on how you know this works

Guiding pheasant hunters guy had a dick head shorthair that was fighting everyone. He went to fighting one of the labs and the guy i worked for ran right over there gave him an index finger to the asshole and that dog stopped dead in its track and never got in another fight the next 5 years he came. I would not have believed it if i didnt see it. The dog turned around looked at him with a look of defeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I have to disagree but...not sure. I do agree that dogs like people are a product of their environment. So yes, the owner has a huge effect on dogs/pets' personalities and behaviors. However, instinct is instinct. What they were originally created and bred for has a huge factor in behaviors. Ex... a fat lab that is owned by a city dweller may have a drive to fetch a lot or even chase robins on its walks. Pitbulls may have an instinct to fight and attack. I think we've all read cases where a Pitbull was the nicest neighborhood pet for years. Then out of the blue it violently attacked neighbors 4 yrs old. Take chessies. They often have a surly streak. They were originally bred to guard the days hunt. Often, they are still surly.
Just saying....i think instinct has a large part to do with it.

I will say my brother has a sharpei/pitbull mix. About 60 lbs. Extremely sweet dog. About 9 yrs old. She likes to play tug of war with stuffed animal. Unreal her jaw strength and how it just locks. Feels so different from my 3 labs. Can just feel the power in her jaws and neck/shoulders. Just a different feel.

They dont lock. Its physically not possible they are strong as hell.

MYTH: Pit Bulls have locking jaws. Reality:
Pit Bulls do not have any special physical mechanism or enzyme that allows them to “lock” their jaws. If you compare a Pit Bull skull to a skull of any other dog breed, you can see with the naked eye that both skulls share the same characteristics and general bone structure

- - - Updated - - -

The woman who owned the pitt that attacked my dog wasnt a dirtbag, she was probably lower than average income but she had 3 kids with her camping at the dessert and she claimed she had the dog since it was a puppy and she had never seen it be aggressive before. She was crying during and after the event and was somewhat distraught because she said now shes scared to have the dog around her kids... Play stupid games I guess

I know another person who had a pitt in bismarck who also had it since it was a puppy, family pet, solid middle class in decent neighborhood. One day the pitt attacked a delivery man and he had to get many stitches, they got rid of the dog immediately afterward, not sure if they put it down or what though...

Anyone who has an out of control dog running around is a dirt bag income does not matter. Both those situations are 100% avoidable by being a responsible dog owner. Its kinda like blaming a gun for shooting some one

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member

Pit Bulls do not have any special physical mechanism or enzyme that allows them to “lock” their jaws. If you compare a Pit Bull skull to a skull of any other dog breed, you can see with the naked eye that both skulls share the same characteristics and general bone structure

I didn't mean lock as in actually a mechanism. I meant just lock shut. Flat out chomp down like a vice grip. Anyone whos ever played tug of war or god forbid has been bitten will understand what I'm saying. Incredible gripping jaw strength.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I didn't mean lock as in actually a mechanism. I meant just lock shut. Flat out chomp down like a vice grip. Anyone whos ever played tug of war or god forbid has been bitten will understand what I'm saying. Incredible gripping jaw strength.

Here is the list of bite strength of different dogs the pitbull is just in the top 20. Husky, german shepherds and rottys all above it. Science it cool.

https://breedingbusiness.com/dog-breeds-with-the-strongest-bite-force/

Dog BreedPSI Force
Kangal743
American Bandogge730
Cane Corso700
Dogue De Bordeaux556
Tosa Inu556
English Mastiff556
Dogo Canario540
Dogo Argentino500
Wolfdog406
Leonberger399
TOP 10 DOG BREEDS WITH THE STRONGEST BITE FOR

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
one breed will take em all 1 7/8 oz of lead out of a 12 guage. Kangal and all

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guiding pheasant hunters guy had a dick head shorthair that was fighting everyone. He went to fighting one of the labs and the guy i worked for ran right over there gave him an index finger to the asshole and that dog stopped dead in its track and never got in another fight the next 5 years he came. I would not have believed it if i didnt see it. The dog turned around looked at him with a look of defeat.

Kurtr, you made my day. I read your post to the wife and we both cracked up. Great defense mechanism though.
;:;funnypost

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93