Please wear your orange....

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tonight we saw what easily could have been a terrible accident.
We where driving out at last light and saw a group of deer busting out across a section of public land in the badlands near the south east side of the park.
"Technically" it was still legal shooting and I've hunted ND long enough to see that many a time, you could expect someone or group to start flinging lead all over heck.
We just watched and sure enough we then saw two younger hunters with bows chasing this group of bolting muleys.
There were almost impossible to see as thwy didnt have a speck of orange on. If those deer had bolted another direction and someone would have flung lead from the road, they would have been directly in the line of fire and would NOT have been seen.

We then watched them relocate and then head in to chase this group again after legal light.

Really these deer are not worth a life, please be safe, please use some sense and for gods sake, WEAR YOUR ORANGE!!!!!

If these two hunters see this, im sorry i regret not stopping and talking to you about how dangerous it was, as it is im glad i was able to witness only just a few unwise and dangerous violations instead of an accidental shooting or recovery effort.

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Great point. I was out today looking at some pasture wells and threw on an orange vest for safety. Be safe.

BTW it's the law
Screenshot_20181115-233843_Drive.jpg

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you legally have to wear orange if you are walking with someone who is hunting? If I’m walking with a hunter but I don’t have a tag or a gun do I need orange. Or even if I do have a gun I guess

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you legally have to wear orange if you are walking with someone who is hunting? If I’m walking with a hunter but I don’t have a tag or a gun do I need orange. Or even if I do have a gun I guess

It’s ok to not wear orange during deer gun season as long as you wear glaring stupidity.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
you got that right Captain, wear ORANGE when hunting anything during deer rifle season!!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They hurt like a son of a gun Believe me .

- - - Updated - - -

Haha Call me lucky but I got shot twice , Once in the ear and once in the lip and I can still wag my tail.

- - - Updated - - -

True story except for the waggon tale .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got a blast from a 12 guage when I was 14 from about 40 yards, hurt like hell. My cousins popping the bbs out like zits didn't feel that good.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member

The only time you have to wear orange without a tag is when your with an apprentice hunter or if your out bowhunting. During rifle season if all I have is a bow tag, I wear my orange when I'm on my way into my blind, and then when I get to my blind, I hang my orange vest on the bush by my blind so it is clearly visible. never know when some dumbshit may decided to do something stupid...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The earshot was a shotgun about 80 yards or so and bounced off like a 243 on a deer and all I have for proof is a permanent dent that looks like a piercing but the lip shot was a ricochet and left 29 grains of lead in my upper lip that was I was able to conceal until I was about 16 when it showed up on a dental X ray . My dad just laughed when I fessed up to the dentist what he was looking at in the x ray but he should have whooped my ass.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be safe if outside during rifle season wear orange. Who cares if it is the law or not. Do you want to live or not? Accidents can happen any time and any place so just be safe.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
To clarify I was just asking legalities. I used “I” instead of “a person” just for ease.

Now I’m posting a second post to clarify. Ha

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be safe if outside during rifle season wear orange. Who cares if it is the law or not. Do you want to live or not? Accidents can happen any time and any place so just be safe.
I use this same motto while pheasant hunting. Its not the law but why wouldn't I want to be very visibly to my hunting partners while everyone is swinging guns around and shooting during a pheasant-nado. Never understand the guys in full camo walking thick cover for birds, do you want your hunting partners to see you while swinging on a bird or not?. Orange hat, orange vest for me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep - I've been laughed at for hunting pheasants in orange before on this very site - but I'm a firm believer in it

I loathe pheasant hunting with people in kaki/camo - paranoid the whole time

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my opinion orange is more important for pheasant hunting than deer. Every shot is a moving and fast shot and close to other people.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep - I've been laughed at for hunting pheasants in orange before on this very site - but I'm a firm believer in it

I loathe pheasant hunting with people in kaki/camo - paranoid the whole time

Anyone who hunts pheasant with us, our rule is orange hat minimum. We carry lots of spares in case someone forgets. Honestly no reason to not wear a vest as well. You want a vest for birds anyway so might as well be orange.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my opinion orange is more important for pheasant hunting than deer. Every shot is a moving and fast shot and close to other people.

Wait...are you talking about deer or pheasants? Because that statement honestly describes both to a T in North Dakota.

I wear orange for deer and pheasants, no exceptions. This year I had two does walk past me at 10 yards while I was sitting on a stool in the woods. Wind was right and I didn't move. They had ZERO clue I was there until they got downwind and caught my scent.

The deer I shot with my bow ran straight at me after getting pushed out of a clump of buck brush. I was wearing blaze orange, and knelt down in open country on a side hill. NO clue I was there until she stopped at about 8 yards when I drew my bow. That was the last mistake she ever made.

Blaze is always important, pheasant hunting or deer hunting. I'd rather be seen, period.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
True story here, probably 10 years ago I was deer hunting an area I always hunt. Came driving down the road and in an old yard shelter belt that’s abandoned I see a deer standing in the opening. I pull the binos up and I see a rack. At this point I’m ready to pull off on the approach and get out with the gun, but I opt to drive down the road as I know the buck will run if pull over and I won’t get a shot. I pull the binos up once more before I drive and now something looks completely wrong. Behind the deer I catch movement and see a guy stand up with a bow in his hands in camo. I was blown away. This guy was begging to get shot. I drive down the road and go around the section and see a truck with Minnesota plates. That pretty much explained it all. I walked in and had a talk with the clueless bastard and informed him that a buck silhouette 150 yards off the road in the trees with him behind it could be interpreted as a suicide attempt around here. Some people just have no damn clue in life....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 85
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31