Pope

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Church and/or religion is doing nothing but selling you an illusion. The illusion of going to "heaven" if you are a do-gooder. Do you really, really think that there is such a place? Over the thousands of years the bible has been pushed around and re-interpreted you believe the stories haven't been modified? Its a sham to take more money from you. Nothing more, nothing less. And please dont start in with the "faith" approach.
Yup. Even if I'm wrong , what do I have to lose by believing it's true ? But if I don't belive and it is true ?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My opinion is there is nothing wrong with going to church and I personally think attending is a good way of self reflection and a moment of slow down with loved ones. The problem I have is when the church tries to swindle money away from the elderly. I believe people can and will donate as they see fit but when you have people of the church actively trying to get more money and again my opinion...praying on the eldery(no pun intended)..this is wrong. I have seen people in the news going to jail over similar things like taking advantage of the elderly etc..but because it's a church..it's ok. I don't care if I get any inheritance..it's their money and i dont need it...they can spend it how they see fit but that should not include the church trying to brain wash a person into leaving it for the church. If an elderly person so happens to want to do that without church interference by all means leave it to them.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to the weirdness I like to watch; this is the last pope: Lightning struck St. Peter's when he was confirmed.

Also, the most common Holy Bible is all pieced together and approved by the Catholic Church to fit their agenda. I have conflicted feelings about the Church as it seems to provide tangible evidence from time to time. God save me.

Also, how is THIS not political but my gun themed thread was moved?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Church and/or religion is doing nothing but selling you an illusion. The illusion of going to "heaven" if you are a do-gooder. Do you really, really think that there is such a place? Over the thousands of years the bible has been pushed around and re-interpreted you believe the stories haven't been modified? Its a sham to take more money from you. Nothing more, nothing less. And please dont start in with the "faith" approach.

A person doesn't need church to be a good person. Karma always returns.
I believe man was created, not evolved from monkeys or pond scum.
Therefore, I believe in God.
Therefore, I believe God sent His son, Jesus, to be our savior.
Therefore, I try to be pleasing to my creator but my works don't open or close Heaven's door to me.

It has been attempted many times to disprove the Bible but it's never been successful that I have seen.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It gives people a nice warm fuzzy feeling all over to know that if they repent and allow Jesus Christ to become their personal savior the gates of "heaven" will open. (more or less....ect., ect....yada, yada).

Well isn't that special!! (insert SNL's Church Lady voice)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its less about whats in the bible and believing what you want. Its the corruption and plain greed of the people running the churches that puts people off. I believe there is something but i dont believe it enough to go blow my self up or start wars because of it.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe man was created, not evolved from monkeys or pond scum.
Therefore, I believe in God.
Therefore, I believe God sent His son, Jesus, to be our savior.
Therefore, I try to be pleasing to my creator but my works don't open or close Heaven's door to me.

It has been attempted many times to disprove the Bible but it's never been successful that I have seen.

It has been attempted many times to PROVE the bible but its never been successful that I have seen.

Best part about living in the USA is that you can believe what you want to!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
It gives people a nice warm fuzzy feeling all over to know that if they repent and allow Jesus Christ to become their personal savior the gates of "heaven" will open. (more or less....ect., ect....yada, yada).

Well isn't that special!! (insert SNL's Church Lady voice)
Gosh, I wish I felt warm and fuzzy, instead I feel convicted quite often. Maybe I am not doing right.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gosh, I wish I felt warm and fuzzy, instead I feel convicted quite often. Maybe I am not doing right.

This is a result of your upbringing. The baby boomer generation is the most effected.
Now, unfortunately, youngsters are asking questions that there is no answer for. And the answers they do get are often "you just have to believe" or "you should feel blessed" or "you just have to have a little faith". Is it not right to be the devils advocate (pardon the pun) and ask the opposing questions? Churches will continue to have dwindling congregations for years to come.

Source: personal experience. I was raised strict catholic.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a result of your upbringing. The baby boomer generation is the most effected.
Now, unfortunately, youngsters are asking questions that there is no answer for. And the answers they do get are often "you just have to believe" or "you should feel blessed" or "you just have to have a little faith". Is it not right to be the devils advocate (pardon the pun) and ask the opposing questions? Churches will continue to have dwindling congregations for years to come.

Dude... why do you think it's called faith? We all question our faith... we're not mindless robots.

It's a walk - not a destination.

Greenhorn

Honored Member

People have been answering the big questions about God, Christ, and Christianity for thousands of years and their answers have never been left at “you just have to believe”. Even a little bit of honest effort in asking and researching these questions will give you far more than “you just need to believe.” Faith and reason are integrally connected.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This should turn out to be a wonderful Christmas thread

1703113242126.png

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So what makes one religion right and one wrong? Or whose century’s old books are the right ones and who has the wrong ones.
I don't think any religion is wrong..it's what you personally want. I believe what I want and for me that is right. The next guy has his own beliefs..who am I to make him believe what I believe?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33