Posted Land

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guess I can't go hunt elk in national forests because I own one quarter... :rolleyes:
Obi, go spend hundreds of thousands on land, and then tens of thousands more and hundreds of hours of labor on habitat improvement that benefits the whole area, then tell us how "greedy" we are.
Three words..stop farm subsidies.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I see the side of calling it greed. But…I can’t hunt pheasants, mallards, geese, sharpies, mule deer, pronghorn in my 2 separate pieces of central ND woods. I do hunt public and private. I don’t e-post but my signs say ask before you enter so maybe I’m only half a dick.
I don't see it as greed. Quite a few landowners will let you hunt their posted land, you just need to ask. And be polite and help them out in the off season too. And I don't hold it against those that wont let you hunt. My mindset like others has always been "you" could have bought hunting land but decided not to.

If I had huntable land I would post it too. There are too many inconsiderate "hunters" out there.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep it is sad how there are less and less hunters each year. Lots of reasons.
Sure do miss the good old days. Didn't realize or appreciate what we all had back then. And yep there still are opportunities today. Just so much different from what it used to be.

To me the downslide started when they came out with Gazetteers. And then with the internet . . . . and social media and the like.
25k out of state waterfowl hunters sure don’t help.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't see it as greed. Quite a few landowners will let you hunt their posted land, you just need to ask. And be polite and help them out in the off season too. And I don't hold it against those that wont let you hunt. My mindset like others has always been "you" could have bought hunting land but decided not to.

If I had huntable land I would post it too. There are too many inconsiderate "hunters" out there.
I have pretty much given up on asking to hunt posted land. I just go to plots or govt owned. I would say out of asking 25 farmers 1 gave me permission only if I paid him because I had a nice pickup and looked like I could afford to...no joke

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
25k out of state waterfowl hunters sure don’t help.
I do believe license for out of state sgould sky rocket. Yes they bring in tax revenue when here I get that argument but I believe they would still come with higher fees.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member

I don’t think too many have the idea that they are owed access. I think the sentiment comes from the huge areas locked down with no chance of getting on, paid access, or leased by guides.

Posted signs don’t do dick except keep the honest guys out. My neighbor’s 22 year old kid that lives at home thinks their 2k acres isn’t enough so he runs his sxs past their signs and though everyone else’s stuff at will to drive deer. He also had the nerve to ask me if he could e-post my land.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know what it's like for all landowners, for me with my small chunks a lot of time i say no because i have family or friends or myself that have been hunting it. I feel as the owner of the property and to be a good steward of the land it is our responsibility to try and manage the resource. I don't think people who ask permission understand that these landowners maybe have people hunting, have been hunting, or will have people hunting the land and they feel more obligated to those people than some random guy they don't know. I know thats not the case for every landowner though.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The ONLY way you’re ever gonna have guaranteed land to hunt and not have to compete with everyone else on public or unposted private is buy it yourself. That’s the ONLY way in this day and age.

Otherwise stand in line or get ready to share with everyone else.

This is the way it is now, its NEVER going to change, and if it does it will be for the worse.

People are starting to realize this, and for many, it’s just the beginning to the end of their hunting days.

For many of the “frustrated” its just not worth it and I don’t blame them.

Not my own personal experience mind you, just an honest observation throughout the years.

I don’t care what anyone claims, you’re blind if you can’t see access is MUCH worse now than even a decade ago!! That or you don’t want to because you’ve become part of the problem.

Whatever…your mom’s sister’s brother can hunt this weekend and the next your dog’s second cousin’ cat has permission….very well. (Maybe a little sarcasm there….)

Last edited:

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The ONLY way you’re ever gonna have guaranteed land to hunt and not have to compete with everyone else on public or unposted private is buy it yourself. That’s the ONLY way in this day and age.

Otherwise stand in line or get ready to share with everyone else.

This is the way it is now, its NEVER going to change, and if it does it will be for the worse.

People are starting to realize this, and for many, it’s just the beginning to the end of their hunting days.

For many of the “frustrated” its just not worth it and I don’t blame them.

Not my own personal experience mind you, just an honest observation throughout the years.

I don’t care what anyone claims, you’re blind if you can’t see access is MUCH worse now than even a decade ago!! That or you don’t want to because you’ve become part of the problem.

Whatever…your mom’s sister’s brother can hunt this weekend and the next your dog’s second cousin’ cat has permission….very well. (Maybe a little sarcasm there….)
Perhaps.
I have landowners whose land I have hunted for years. And I am the only one hunting their property. Last year one landowner asked me if it was okay if he took his son (8) now. The parent was not a turkey hunter then. Unbelievable. But a true story.

Another of my landowners was "too" busy with his farming to hunt. About five years ago I talked him into getting a spring turkey permit and I would "guide" him giving him the decoys etc. The short of it I called in two gobblers on his first hunt and after I am waiting and waiting for him to shoot (we were in separate spots on the ground) he finally shot and got one. He asked why I didn't shoot. I just laughed. And now he goes hunting (by himself) every spring. His property is golden. I still hunt in the fall on it.

I love hunting. Like others if you treat people with respect and give them due rewards they will usually treat you kindly in return . . . I am so thankful my Dad taught me to enjoy the outdoors. Stop by in the off season just to talk. You would be surprised how lonely most people are and just want to have a nice conversation with someone.

I will get off of the soap box. LOL

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Access is getting to be terrible. I can tell you from my perspective as a small landowner our land and families and friends land gets hunted pretty hard just from other family and friends that don't own land. Even though this is one of the better years i've seen for birds there is still only so many birds on the land. I think next year i'm going to try and raise a few hundred just so i can enjoy watching the dog work and get birds and if some hens make it through winter hopefully it will bring it back closer to the good days of populations where you could hunt the land a lot more and still have lots of birds.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Relationships crumble, kids take over the land, people sell it….ect. It happens all the time and access can be gonzo in a split second! I’ve seen it happen more than once. You absolutely can not expect access to be there from year to year.

The ONLY way to guarantee your OWN hunting land is to buy it.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do agree it is hard to get permission. I pose a question since I am actually looking for a landowner that would allow me to shoot long range (no hunting). Is it preferable to call or to stop at the yard to talk to the landowner? Calling is difficult to find a working number and getting someone to answer or call back. Stopping in the yard usually upsets someone enough that the answer is automatic no. So I would take suggestions from those that have no problem getting on private land.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think too many have the idea that they are owed access. I think the sentiment comes from the huge areas locked down with no chance of getting on, paid access, or leased by guides.

Posted signs don’t do dick except keep the honest guys out. My neighbor’s 22 year old kid that lives at home thinks their 2k acres isn’t enough so he runs his sxs past their signs and though everyone else’s stuff at will to drive deer. He also had the nerve to ask me if he could e-post my land.
your last sentence says it all, pretty sure thats happening quite a bit/

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
With something like that I would prefer to stop and talk so I could kind of gauge the person you are and if you were an idiot I wouldn’t want all over my land especially when it’s dry. I’ve always wondered if shooting steel could cause a fire. Copper and lead shouldn’t spark I wouldn’t think but maybe intense heat

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i dont have the number i stop and talk to them. If they tell me know i say thank you for your time. Being polite has gained me permission later on when I have asked at a latter time. The old catch more bees with honey thing

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do agree it is hard to get permission. I pose a question since I am actually looking for a landowner that would allow me to shoot long range (no hunting). Is it preferable to call or to stop at the yard to talk to the landowner? Calling is difficult to find a working number and getting someone to answer or call back. Stopping in the yard usually upsets someone enough that the answer is automatic no. So I would take suggestions from those that have no problem getting on private land.
my perspective, always knock on the door and ask for permission... phone calls looking for permission are junk and most of the time end up resulting in no access. stop and visit with em in person (if they have time to chat). That gives them time to "read" you and decided if they trust you on their land...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 468
  • This month: 206
  • This month: 167
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74