Posted Land

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
……. My neighbor’s 22 year old kid that lives at home thinks their 2k acres isn’t enough so he runs his sxs past their signs and though everyone else’s stuff at will to drive deer. He also had the nerve to ask me if he could e-post my land.
If this is happening you need to document it, inform the game warden and be willing to prosecute!!

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this is happening you need to document it, inform the game warden and be willing to prosecute!!
I suspected it was him a few times but had no proof. Last spring him and his girlfriend showed up on camera shed hunting. After a man to man with his dad (he wouldn’t show his face) he’s stayed out of my stuff. Can’t say the same for the neighbors.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If i dont have the number i stop and talk to them. If they tell me know i say thank you for your time. Being polite has gained me permission later on when I have asked at a latter time. The old catch more bees with honey thing
This is how I do it. I am thinking of getting a beater chevy to go hunting in though. I might have better success.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do agree it is hard to get permission. I pose a question since I am actually looking for a landowner that would allow me to shoot long range (no hunting). Is it preferable to call or to stop at the yard to talk to the landowner? Calling is difficult to find a working number and getting someone to answer or call back. Stopping in the yard usually upsets someone enough that the answer is automatic no. So I would take suggestions from those that have no problem getting on private land.

Define "long range". The Bismarck Mandan Rifle Pistol Association has a range down near Moffit that goes out to 1,000 yds.

It's been a few years since I've been a member, but the range is pretty decent. My biggest issue with it is the roof on the outdoor shooting line REALLY ups the need for good hearing protection.

https://www.bmrpa.org/shooting-ranges

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Define "long range". The Bismarck Mandan Rifle Pistol Association has a range down near Moffit that goes out to 1,000 yds.

It's been a few years since I've been a member, but the range is pretty decent. My biggest issue with it is the roof on the outdoor shooting line REALLY ups the need for good hearing protection.

Yup, that can get loud. Always where hearing protection though.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I have looked into that club but after evaluating the fees and when I would be able to shoot I would have better luck going to the public range. Their range hosts numerous activities when I would be able to shoot and the 1000 yard is usually shut down majority of the time again when I am able to shoot

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if the # of phone calls i get per day is any representation of the number of waterfowl hunters out there with lack of access to places holding birds, i would say we are about at a tipping point. folks are going to stop driving 1-1000 miles to spend their time and hard earned money to be lucky to scratch out one or two remotely decent hunts. fwiw, we do let people hunt. but, just a group/day or every other day. anymore and the birds leave or become unhuntable. but, for every group that gets access, another 5-10 get turned down. and i only assume most other calls they place are even harder to get access. could be wrong on that. tis definitely a problem. outfitters taking tens of thousands of acres out of the question in a given area certainly puts more pressure on whatever is left out there too.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have looked into that club but after evaluating the fees and when I would be able to shoot I would have better luck going to the public range. Their range hosts numerous activities when I would be able to shoot and the 1000 yard is usually shut down majority of the time again when I am able to shoot
This is why I am no longer a member.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guess I can't go hunt elk in national forests because I own one quarter... :rolleyes:
Obi, go spend hundreds of thousands on land, and then tens of thousands more and hundreds of hours of labor on habitat improvement that benefits the whole area, then tell us how "greedy" we are.
Nope your're done LOL

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do agree it is hard to get permission. I pose a question since I am actually looking for a landowner that would allow me to shoot long range (no hunting). Is it preferable to call or to stop at the yard to talk to the landowner? Calling is difficult to find a working number and getting someone to answer or call back. Stopping in the yard usually upsets someone enough that the answer is automatic no. So I would take suggestions from those that have no problem getting on private land.
What I find works the best for me is NOT to show up when they are busy.
IMO if they are around in the late winter that is always a good time to stop.

Think about it, when would you like someone to show up unannounced to ask a favor of you - doesn't even have to be hunting related. Sure wouldn't be the opening weekend of pheasant hunting when 10,000 others have already bothered me because they saw some roosters on my property.

You can always stop at the local cafe when the local ranchers are inside for a cup of coffee. They are usually very friendly then.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 469
  • This month: 206
  • This month: 167
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74