Problems with inconsistency

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been shooting hornady superp ammo through my 204 and have yet to find a hand load that shoots better.
Most ammo out there is pretty good quality but you have to find the stuff your rifle likes.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
$18.50 shipping each direction, $65 muzzle re-crown, $44/hr for range time. None of that seems out of line.

Try to find any other "repair" business with a "shop rate" of $44/hr.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know many of 25-06 have been traded in because they wouldn't group well

The problem with 25 caliber cartridges is the lack of bullet selection. Most 25 caliber cartridges are built for velocity. When moving bullets at faster velocities problems arise with bullet stability, powder charges, seating depth, and even primer choice. If factory 25-06s were built with 1:8 twist barrels and 130-140 grain bullets were offered the 6.5 creedmore would not have gained near the popularity. The better the barrel the better the accuracy shines through when playing the velocity game.

The 6.5 creedmore is the perfect example of the opposite end of the spectrum. It is a turd lobber that has been perfected with tight barrel twists and heavy for caliber match quality bullets. When you slow velocity down and go to tight twist with heavy bullets you get accuracy.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
$18.50 shipping each direction, $65 muzzle re-crown, $44/hr for range time. None of that seems out of line.

Try to find any other "repair" business with a "shop rate" of $44/hr.

I agree with you on the priceing.

However I think it should have just returned to Remington and let them deal with it.

I asked friend that is a gunsmith and has one of the best gunships in the area what he would have done. He said "he would have had a quick look at it, checked the scope, scope mounts, bedding and action screws, muzzle and if everything was good he would have returned to to Remington for service". No charge for any of the above including shipping.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
If factory 25-06s were built with 1:8 twist barrels and 130-140 grain bullets were offered the 6.5 creedmore would not have gained near the popularity.
The 6.5 creedmore is the perfect example of the opposite end of the spectrum. It is a turd lobber that has been perfected with tight barrel twists and heavy for caliber match quality bullets. When you slow velocity down and go to tight twist with heavy bullets you get accuracy.

I was gonna let this go until you called the Creedmoor a "turd lobber". That hurt my feelers, so now I need to point out that your statements are fairly broad generalizations. :D

If you look at load data and ballistic charts, when you compare similar bullet weights and same barrel lengths, the 6.5 Creed is not far behind the 25-06. Oh, and it does it in a short action case. That's only one of the reasons its so popular.

Any rifle can be accurate at any point within it's normal velocity band. I have a 22-250 that pushes the 53 v-max at over 3900 fps, and you can cover groups with a quarter, sometimes a dime.

I do agree that the 25-06 would benefit from heavier bullets and faster twists, but imo, that's not where they missed the boat. Should have been a 26-06, then we could get rid of all 25 and 27 calibers, which (again, imo) despite their popularity, are unnecessary. :;:stirthepot

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was gonna let this go until you called the Creedmoor a "turd lobber". That hurt my feelers, so now I need to point out that your statements are fairly broad generalizations.

If you look at load data and ballistic charts, when you compare similar bullet weights and same barrel lengths, the 6.5 Creed is not far behind the 25-06. Oh, and it does it in a short action case. That's only one of the reasons its so popular.

Any rifle can be accurate at any point within it's normal velocity band. I have a 22-250 that pushes the 53 v-max at over 3900 fps, and you can cover groups with a quarter, sometimes a dime.

I do agree that the 25-06 would benefit from heavier bullets and faster twists, but imo, that's not where they missed the boat. Should have been a 26-06, then we could get rid of all 25 and 27 calibers, which (again, imo) despite their popularity, are unnecessary. :;:stirthepot

Haha you know i wanted to but i have turned a new interweb leaf for 2018.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should have been a 26-06, then we could get rid of all 25 and 27 calibers, which (again, imo) despite their popularity, are unnecessary. :;:stirthepot

Keep it up. Just keep it up, and you'll see. I'll...... I'll....... Well, I'll do something but I just don't know what it is right now.

#270WinFORLIFE

In all seriousness, 270Win Kimber Montana re-barreled w/Lilja 1:8. 150gn Nosler ABLR w/BC of .625 @ 3050FPS @ 200yds. 6.8# rifle/scope package:

2C03DBB4-6639-4903-9A7A-6784DED96CEF.jpg

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha. You know both the 270 Win and the 25-06 could be replaced with a "26-06". -- Yes I know it's the "6.5mm-06", but considering the parent case is 30-06, that naming convention offends my OCD.

Oh yeah!! Well I killed a bull elk and 2 whitetail bucks with my 270 in the fall of '17. What'd you shoot with you're puny 6.5? Huh? Tell me what!!!?

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was gonna let this go until you called the Creedmoor a "turd lobber". That hurt my feelers, so now I need to point out that your statements are fairly broad generalizations. :D

To each their own. I am not a fan of dial guns for big game hunting that I do. I am not saying that the Creedmor is a POS just that it has had strong marketing and good bullet choices. Many gun writers can be the success and failure of a cartridge. The 6.5 creedmor is not really anything new when you look back at what the wildcatters of yesterday have done. It is a necked up 22-250. I have 25-06s, 25 SPS, and 257 Weatherbys that you can cover the group with a dime and with the last 2 they move all the way up to 3800 fps with 100 grain bullet. The short action vs long action feud is one that doesn't have much weight literally at few ounces of action. Roy Weatherby and PO Ackley did more 60+ years ago than any of the so called wildcatters today.:;:duel

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh yeah!! Well I killed a bull elk and 2 whitetail bucks with my 270 in the fall of '17. What'd you shoot with you're puny 6.5? Huh? Tell me what!!!?

Does anyone else think sdmf is full of crap wheres the pics sdmf no pics you are full of crap

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
He has posted lots of pics. The caribou ones come to mind

Seriously who is he you speak of, all his vast knowledge in firearms is all information that can be found on multiple sites there is nothing special about sdmf so called knowledge. I'm not saying he doesn't but when a man claims to have killed 3 animals with his 270 where is the pics of 2017. Sdmf hasn't shown NDA anything he's done nothing just typing out gun information anyone can find online.
Kurtr you sticking up for who who is sdmf to you until I see some proof he full of crap

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Say what you want but sdmf can shoot and is a valuable contributor to the forum. He has given me a lot of sound firearm advice. I know he hunts I have seen him post pictures of dead animals just because he doesn’t do it all the time does not mean he doesn’t know what he is talking about.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Damn. I thought the thread was about inconsistence. I could comment on that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84